If you could do it again what would you do/not do

MAN86

We are taking the Celebrity Mercury 11-day Mexican Riviera cruise 04/17/2006 to celebrate 20 years. If you could do it again what do you wish you would have done or not done to make your experience better:confused:

We are taking the Celebrity Mercury 11-day Mexican Riviera cruise 04/17/2006 to celebrate 20 years. If you could do it again what do you wish you would have done or not done to make your experience better:confused:
I wish I had pretended the "guides" in the blue shirts at the docks in Acapulco were simply NOT THERE! Even a pleasant "No thank you" is considered sufficient contact to have them following you all over town like puppies insisting on a tip.

1. Randi's Happy Horses-fer sure.

2. No arranged ship's tours except for Manzanilla.

3. Hired my own taxi-in town-in Cabo and drove to nearby town of ?Cabo San Juan for a few hours.

4.Hire own taxi in Acapulco-Port taxis are overpriced as are ships tours. Princess Hotel a must visit.

5.Puerta Vallarta-Can easily do downtown on your own. Taxi should cost $4 one way-not per person.

Good Luck

t.

Wished we had visited Ixtapa, gone to the Navigator's Lounge for pre-dinner drinks every night, had breakfast in the diningroom every morning instead of just the last week.

Buthchart Gardens at night with wine tour was a waste of money. The wine and chocolates were awful and people were stumbling in the dark in the gardens. However, the folk music group in the amphitheater wasgreat.

• 7 months later...

In Acapulco I'd take a private taxi to the Princess Hotel. I believe it's the one that has the boats and small train that take you around the grounds; really beautiful place. We just drove by it on our ship sponsered city tour. I'd skip the cliff divers. And I'd definitely go back to the Hyatt Regency to a little restaurant downstairs (can't remember the name...maybe it was Pancho Villa's) at which, on Thursdays, the only thing they serve is pozole. It's to die for! The price of lunch ($10 US) includes a shot of tequila, fabulous dessert and a kickin' Salsa band. As for the blue-shirted "tour guides" at the pier...the best way to navigate thru these annoying pests is to pretend they're not there. No eye contact, don't speak to them, not even "no gracias", don't acknowledge thier presence in any way. If you hire a private taxi, be sure to use the blue & white ones, not yellow & white. The latter will stop many times to pick up other passengers; with the former the taxi is all yours.

In Mazatlan I'd do Randy's Happy Horses. She was booked solid when we were there but have heard nothing but good things about her. I'd go back to the cathedral in old Mazatlan (cant remember the name). It's unbelievably gorgeous! And the Zocalo across the street is a beautiful place to sit and people watch.

I'd pick an itinerary that has more time in Ixtapa. This was our favorite port. It's a beautiful little fishing village. Not a lot of pushy taxi drivers and tour guides. But you don't really need transportation unless you want to go to Zihuantanejo. We just walked around watching the fisherman bringing in their catch and fixing their nets; walked around the flea market; had a drink at one of the many little restaurants on the beach.

I'd pick an itinerary that has more time in Ixtapa. This was our favorite port. It's a beautiful little fishing village. Not a lot of pushy taxi drivers and tour guides. But you don't really need transportation unless you want to go to Zihuantanejo. We just walked around watching the fisherman bringing in their catch and fixing their nets; walked around the flea market; had a drink at one of the many little restaurants on the beach.

Are you sure you don't have Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo turned around? As I remember it, Zihuatanejo was the quaint little fishing village and Ixtapa was all the fancy hotels.

I have not sailed to these places, but I have visited them. If you like beaches, in PV, take a cab to La Palapa restaurant. You can use there beach chairs as long as you buy food and drink from them. (Walk out of the terminal and catch a green cab. They are MUCH cheaper than the ones inside the gate). Or, for a beautiful day, take the boat trip to Caletas. In Mazatlan, take a cab to see the cathedral, walk a few blocks to Plaza Machedo (old historic area). For best beach, take a cab to Hotel Playa, walk through there facility to the best beach in Mazatlan. Enjoy.

Throw my husbands golf clubs over board Yes I know no littering, But...

He golfed at every port and I had to find my own tours or make new friends to shop/drink with. He did have a good time golfing, loved Cabo and the Princess in Acapulco.

Sky, great photos:)

What I would do again? While in Mazatlan, I would use Mazatlan

Frank as a Tour Guide again:D. We had a group of about 10

back in October and had just a fabulous, fabulous day.

He is a professional who knows his stuff, has as a wonderful way

with people, a great sense of humor and just makes your day with

him unforgettable. He gets 5***** from me!:D

:cool: Sky...I too was impressed by your photos. Perhaps you can help me and a thousand others...

What do I have to do to get photos onto a thread? Is there a link to somewhere that can lead me thru it?

I have a digital camera, and a card reader, and can get photos into a folder in My Documents, but they are too 'big'. Each cruise has its own folder, as does each non-cruise event for which I have photos.

The first thing I tried was to get a little photo of my sweetie and I to go in beside my 'name' but the thread told me I had to make it smaller. I don't know how to do that, nor do I know how to put one it text as you have.

Can you be of assistance? If so, I would be very appreciative.

Ciao...:D

Archived