Carnival's Response to Growing Nassau Crime Rate

thecruiserofships

I just read online that Disney Cruise Lines is discouraging passengers from getting of in Nassau, Bahamas because of the elevated crime rates and murders.

Is Carnival monitoring this too and will they give any type of warning? What would it take for Carnival to decide to completely leave this port or substitute this port with some other Bahamas port?

We were in Nassau on the Freedom just a week and a half ago. There was a disclaimer on the bottom of the Fun Times about crime against tourist and being safe. I personally do not like Nassau and will "try" to avoid it or stay on the ship. I've been there twice now and it just doesn't do anything for me.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I guess you have never cruised to Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, Mediterranean, Canada? Because if you thought the way you say, you would miss some pretty amazing things.

While the cruise is nice, where you are going is what makes cruises memorable. While we have stayed on the ship several times when cruising, only because we have been there several times before and the weather made us rethink getting off.

Cheers

Len

Your guess would be wrong.

Can't be any different than walking down the block in Anytown, USA. Im not to worried.

Certainly not in my town (Upstate NY), or any town I have ever lived in and in most areas of NYC where my daughter lives (The Harlem area). I suggest that this poster should look up the per capita crime statistics before making a comment like this

Responses like this belittle the point of the post. To state that the crime in the Bahamas is no different that anywhere else (not based on fact but opinion) seems like an attempt to minimize the issue, when for many cruisers and their families it is of great concern.

Places that depend on tourist measures will either be eventually bypassed to consumer and corporate demand, or turn to draconian methods to alleviate the problem. Neither option would be a good choice in the long run.

I we don't enjoy Nassau. However did a little checking, and find it funny that this thread was started by an anoucment from DCL. As the crime rate for Nassau although higher then Orlando is much lower then L.A. and of course Diansy will never warn anyone about going to either. And keep in mind the crime rates for both the greater Orlando area and Greater Los Angles area are kept down slightly. As Diansy securty handles crime in the parks and if there was no injuries tries to get the viticam not to report it to law enforcement.

I think we feel more unsafe in some ports because we are in areas we are not familiar with. There would be no Caribbean port stops if we felt unsafe at any of the ports. We tend to "forget" crime rates here in the states. If people heard our local Orlando news about crime, you'd ban coming here too.

The difference is that as a tourist you are more of a target.

We were in Nassau back in October on Ecstasy. We were also warned to be careful. We didn't necessarily feel unsafe, but we stayed on our course and kept to the main roads. We walked to the rum distillery and to Junkanoo beach, grabbed lunch, hung out on the beach, did a little shopping, and walked back to the boat. I don't think you should stay on the boat and be afraid, just keep your eyes open and be aware, as you should ANYWHERE.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Forums mobile app

We were in Nassau in November. We walked the main street outside the port area, as we were walking along the street on the OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD from the straw market a woman came out SCREAMING at my from across the street, "LADY! LADY! Come over here and look in my booth!!" We hightailed it back to the ship and never returned.

I have no plans on getting off the ship again in Nassau. First of all, the place is a dump and uninteresting.

We had our 1st experience with porting in Nassau in December.

We got off the ship and walked around town during daylight.

It was just fine for us.

There were police about here and there.

We stuck to the main roads and never felt unsafe.

We did not venture down any alleys or scrappy looking areas.

A lady did try to get me to walk with her to see her "genuine" Coach purses and a guy asked DH under his breath, if he wanted some weed.

We said no thanks both times and moved along without incidence.

Not the place we'd walk around at night or far from the pier.

If you are not comfortable walking about, book a private tour excursion with a well rated local or one from the ship.

Balmoral Island or Atlantis seem safe enough, otherwise enjoy the ship that day!