Carnival's Response to Growing Nassau Crime Rate

thecruiserofships

See my later post, I accidentally posted this before I was done with my post. The full sentence should read "Nassau has never been a desired port of mine"

Still getting used to the CC iPhone app :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

OK lol, same here as well (on a PC at the moment). Not one of my favs either, but it would not stop me from getting off (I did on the Splendor in August). Don't know if it is something new, but I would not feel adverse to walking around the port area, many ships are usually in port with lots of people walking around town. 11 PM at night, a much different story. We have only felt our safety in question twice in our 25+ cruises. Once in St. Croix after dinner walking around the port area and once in Dominica on some back street. Nothing happened either time, but did have the early warning buzzers going off in my head. :eek:

I have been to Nassau many times and it was never really my favorite port. But last month, I cruised solo and hopped on the #10 bus, went to Graycliff and bought cigars for my husband, walked down to McDonalds and got on the bus again to be taken to Fish Fry. I spent a wonderful afternoon there and took the bus back downtown. Never did I feel unsafe. I had such a great time, in fact, I'll be there again this weekend. I plan to go to Fish Fry again. Kinda feeling uneasy after reading this, though.

Where is the Fish Fry and what is that all about?

I have been to Nassau many times and it was never really my favorite port. But last month, I cruised solo and hopped on the #10 bus, went to Graycliff and bought cigars for my husband, walked down to McDonalds and got on the bus again to be taken to Fish Fry. I spent a wonderful afternoon there and took the bus back downtown. Never did I feel unsafe. I had such a great time, in fact, I'll be there again this weekend. I plan to go to Fish Fry again. Kinda feeling uneasy after reading this, though.

Nothing has changed since the last time you were there; do what you usually do and have fun. I'll be there solo for the first time (solo, not Nassau, I've been there several times) next week and might copy your route. I've never been to Graycliff but I LOVE the Fish Fry. Plus, the #10 is easy to navigate.

There isn't a water taxi that goes straight to the Atlantis. It drops you under the bridge between Nassau and Paradise island and you have to walk from there to the Atlantis (about a 15 minute walk).

I should've been more specific, saying that we will take the water taxi to Paradise Island, and THEN walk to Atlantis! :o

The fish fry is a group of local restaurants just off Junkanoo beach - yummy food at ridiculous prices (low - not high) - we love walking over there - it's kind of a long walk, but it's right along the beach. Just get off the ship and walk like you're going to Senor Frog's - keep following the sidewalk around the corner - there are signs pointing the way. If you're mobility impaired, the#10 jitney will take you there, too, but we like the walk.

That said, after reading through this thread, there was only one time we had an uncomfortable incident in Nassau - my teenage daughters and I had grabbed a cab from the cruise port to go to the Sheraton, Cable Beach and the cabbie tried to drop us off in a deserted stretch of the beach telling us "you'll like it here better". We refused to get out of the cab and after a very awkward argument with the cabbie, he finally relented and took us over to the Sheraton - at the time I wondered what he was thinking, but now wonder if he had some kind of "set up" to deliver stupid people to someone at that location. When we did get to the Sheraton, he tried to overcharge us as well, telling us the original quote was for the location he'd taken us to, first - but a quick wave to the bellman and our fare was back to the originally quoted fare. This was probably in 2012 -

I should've been more specific, saying that we will take the water taxi to Paradise Island, and THEN walk to Atlantis! :o

Is that a nice, safe walk? Going there in May with two 20 yr old girls so wondered if the water taxi or a regular taxi/van would be best for us to take to Atlantis. We are only in port till 5:00 so will be spending all our time at Atlantis.

Why take a cruise at all if you're just going to stay on the ship? I was just in Nassau a few weeks ago. Walked all over with my Mom and we never felt unsafe. Use common sense and be alert, you know, just like at home.

The ship and the ocean is why I cruise. The ports are further down on my list of reasons to cruise.

There is quite a bit of info online, search for Fish Fry and/or Arawak Cay. If the weather is good, it's not a bad walk at all. Or, as trvlqueen said, you can take the #10. We usually stop at the Fish Fry after spending the day at Cable Beach. Great food and local beer. Service is slow, they are definitely on Island time!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d216275-Reviews-Arawak_Cay-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

We just returned from our cruise on the Pride yesterday. Warnings were made both in print and by the cruise director to take caution in Nassau because of the crime. We were told the American Embassy issued warnings as well. People were encouraged to stay in touristy areas and to be aware of their surroundings.

We chose to walk to the British Colonial Hilton which isn't very far from the cruise terminal and we felt safe. Although we wouldn't have ventured any further.

Felt more unsafe in Ocho Rios when we visited the beach that was closest to the ship.

We have never had a problem in either place. Been to them about 5 times at least. We just grab the water taxi or taxi and go to Atlantis. Walk downtown. No one has ever bothered us. A lot of worse places we have been to.

The fish fry is a group of local restaurants just off Junkanoo beach - yummy food at ridiculous prices (low - not high) - we love walking over there - it's kind of a long walk, but it's right along the beach. Just get off the ship and walk like you're going to Senor Frog's - keep following the sidewalk around the corner - there are signs pointing the way. If you're mobility impaired, the#10 jitney will take you there, too, but we like the walk.

That said, after reading through this thread, there was only one time we had an uncomfortable incident in Nassau - my teenage daughters and I had grabbed a cab from the cruise port to go to the Sheraton, Cable Beach and the cabbie tried to drop us off in a deserted stretch of the beach telling us "you'll like it here better". We refused to get out of the cab and after a very awkward argument with the cabbie, he finally relented and took us over to the Sheraton - at the time I wondered what he was thinking, but now wonder if he had some kind of "set up" to deliver stupid people to someone at that location. When we did get to the Sheraton, he tried to overcharge us as well, telling us the original quote was for the location he'd taken us to, first - but a quick wave to the bellman and our fare was back to the originally quoted fare. This was probably in 2012 -

Thanks for the info on the Fish Fry. I know (now) exactly where it is now. Wow on your cab experience, I would have not gotten out either.

While we have never really had any problems in Nassau, I wouldnt miss is if it was gone. We went to cabbage beach where one of the locals trying to rent chairs and'or jetskis and he was acting weird and then just stared at us the whole time at the beach after I politely said no thank you. Last time in nassau, we just stayed on the ship.

There is quite a bit of info online, search for Fish Fry and/or Arawak Cay. If the weather is good, it's not a bad walk at all. Or, as trvlqueen said, you can take the #10. We usually stop at the Fish Fry after spending the day at Cable Beach. Great food and local beer. Service is slow, they are definitely on Island time!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d216275-Reviews-Arawak_Cay-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

Got it thanks!

Wow! Interesting...we're going to Nassau in a couple weeks. Will be interested to see if any warning is made...

Sidenote..when we stopped in Ocho Rios this past summer, our CD vehemently made MULTIPLE statements/warnings for people to stay alert and never let go of their children's hands while out in port. This was the first time this type of warning had ever been made, it honestly made us a little nervous..

Our CD did this same thing on the Freedom for Ochos Rios. He also told us a few stories of things that had happened to guests to keep us aware of what has been going on recently.

Yea WOW they look intimidating! I'm sure the thugs who mug tourists are really afraid of these pretty-jacketed gazebo cops.

If you've ever been to Bermuda you would recognize this scene. The traffic cops stand in little kiosks like this.

The rule of thumb is simple. Don't veer off from the tourist path.

And catch your taxi or Jitney on the center of town.

And don't stand on the "Wrong" side of the road when you take the jitney back to town. You'll get there, only it will take you longer. You'll see some pretty nice mansions on the way as well.

We were in Nassau a few weeks ago and wandered well off the beaten path on a Sunday morning to find a new rum distillery.

Not many people were around but we felt safe.

Perhaps we would do something else if we ever find our way back here.

Yikes this has me a little uneasy.

My brother and his friends were in Nassau back in August and had no problems. They walked to Junkanoo Beach and spent the day there.

I was in Nassau back in May with a cousin. We really had no plans because the Pirate Museum was closed due to the holiday. We walked around and ended up at Junkanoo Beach. We felt uncomfortable there... it was dirty and rocky and with it being a holiday a lot of locals there pedeling their stuff that we had to keep declining. On our walk back to the ship we found a street sign that sad Dorchester and we ran to take a picture of it (We were on the New Kids on the Block cruise and some of the guys are from Dorchester MA) Some guy was walking down the street and told us we better go back to the main area because it's not safe in this area for two gals like us.

I'll be back in Nassau next month. I think we are just going to do the Pirate Museum.

The OP mentioned that Disney was discouraging guests from going ashore in Nassau. This would be a major change to the normal warning they have been giving to guests for at least 5 years now. I cannot find anything supporting that online, has anyone else?

Perhaps this will give the cruise lines some thoughts that all cruises dont have to stop in Nassau.

While I dont disagree, that is a whole lot of infrastructure (and close proximity to walk away from. I can only think of two other ports that can support that many ships (Cozumel and Costa Maya - at least they used to be able to support that many is Costa Maya).

Thanks for the heads up. Crime does happen everywhere but I appreciate the warning so I don't put myself, teenage daughter and her friend in any danger. Was planning to walk to the Queen's Staircase then up to the fort and back to the ship but think we will either stay on the ship or just walk over to the Hilton. I did do the walk a few years ago with my DH and just kept my wits about me but not willing to take someone else's child.