Carnival's Response to Growing Nassau Crime Rate

thecruiserofships

Regardless of whether Carnival makes any warnings, we're being very cautious when we go to Nassau this summer. Water taxi straight to Atlantis and back. Done.

Does the water taxi go to the Atlantis? In the past, we've taken the water taxi ($3-4) and had a long walk (20+ min) to the Atlantis. But on a recent cruise we took a taxi, but I recall hearing a lady mention taking a water taxi "to the Atlantis". I assume she had had the long walk also. Do water taxis go straight to the Atlantis?

Btw she also mentioned she was able to use the Atlantis Beach at no cost? Could that be true? Thx.

I went to Ocho Rios two years ago and felt pretty unsafe. I was with my husband (and I'm not a small woman, I'm 5'11) and some guy grabbed my arm and tried to pull me into his "cab". My husband stepped in and I was ok. There was a lot of drug and prostitution offers as well.

We did an excursion and felt very safe and secure. It was just walking the streets. We are pretty well travelled and don't often feel unsafe. If Nassau is anything like that I might consider staying on the ship.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Wow that's pretty scary. That goodness your husband was paying attention, my husband always has his dang on iPod on. I'm gonna have to share this with my DH

I went to Ocho Rios two years ago and felt pretty unsafe. I was with my husband (and I'm not a small woman, I'm 5'11) and some guy grabbed my arm and tried to pull me into his "cab". My husband stepped in and I was ok. There was a lot of drug and prostitution offers as well.

We did an excursion and felt very safe and secure. It was just walking the streets. We are pretty well travelled and don't often feel unsafe. If Nassau is anything like that I might consider staying on the ship.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

IMO Nassau comes no where near Ocho Rios. Of course, I hate OR and could just take or leave Nassua, so there ya go. ;) if I recall correctly from what I read, the crime in Nassau is more pickpocket ing type of stuff. I could be wrong though.

Regardless of whether Carnival makes any warnings, we're being very cautious when we go to Nassau this summer. Water taxi straight to Atlantis and back. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There isn't a water taxi that goes straight to the Atlantis. It drops you under the bridge between Nassau and Paradise island and you have to walk from there to the Atlantis (about a 15 minute walk).

Perhaps I'm taking the post way too literally, but I just checked the DCL and CLIA web sites to see if something about this had changed over the weekend. I found no adjustment in text about port safety at this location, but perhaps I'm not looking in the correct spots.

Was this something that was found online from DCL, or was it something printed and handed out to the passengers (in addition to the standard safety warning about ports of call) encouraging them to stay onboard in Nassau??

Thanks for any info. ;)

Port safety in all locations is so important. May we all continue to not let 'vacation brain' take the place of good ol' common sense.

Happy cruising!! :)

It's not new news:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/05/articles/caribbean-islands/warning-us-citizen-murdered-in-nassau-cruise-passengers-urged-to-avoid-travel-to-the-bahamas/

I just read online that Disney Cruise Lines is discouraging passengers from getting of in Nassau, Bahamas because of the elevated crime rates and murders.

Is Carnival monitoring this too and will they give any type of warning? What would it take for Carnival to decide to completely leave this port or substitute this port with some other Bahamas port?

We were just in Nassau on Jan 12th and took the number 10 city bus to see part of the city and didn't have any problems. We saw a couple nice beaches and some caves that we will be going to on our next visit. :)

Nassau has never been a desired port

Accidentally hit send before I was done. Whoops. Nassau has never been a desired port of mine, which is why I generally use that day to go to the spa and take advantage of in-port specials and stuff like that. I've been to Nassau more times than I can count, and I've never felt comfortable enough to go outside of the main road or just to Atlantis. One time we decided to walk just around the corner to a beach and there was broken glass all over. Give me another day at HMC or just a day at sea. I wouldn't miss Nassau if they decided to not stop there anymore.

Can't be any different than walking down the block in Anytown, USA. Im not to worried.

I think we feel more unsafe in some ports because we are in areas we are not familiar with. There would be no Caribbean port stops if we felt unsafe at any of the ports. We tend to "forget" crime rates here in the states. If people heard our local Orlando news about crime, you'd ban coming here too.

It's not new news:

Indeed definitely not 'new news' concerning port safety.

I was just trying to find out where it was observed that specifically Disney Cruise Line (aka Magical Cruise Company) had made a somewhat blanket statement that its passengers were being advised to stay onboard the ship while in Nassau. That's all.

;)

On one of our Nassau cruises we received a letter in our room the night before our Nassau stop it advised us of the security situation and steps to take to be "safer". Nassau's prime industry is tourism so the government takes these threats very seriously we were told by a tour director that those involved in the crimes suffer severe punishment and extra law enforcement had been put in place. But as with anyplace go with your gut feelings if it feels wrong or you feel unsafe there is a wonderful ship for you to go back to or stay on in port.

I'm about to head out on the Breeze B2B, the second cruise was a 6 day that was headed to Nassau but they changed the itinerary on July 10. They stated operational considerations. This was just after going there on the Splendor in June out of NYC, with the fun-times the night before was a note telling us to be careful about going ashore.

Personally I'd prefer not to bother going to Nassau or Freeport, we don't get off the ship in those ports. I'm sure there's a thread of ports that cruise ships should do away with, to me anything in the Bahamas that is not their private island should just go away.

I've never felt unsafe in Nassau....now that being said, I'm alway back on the ship before dark and I've never ventured much past the tourist area.

I detest the straw market so never venture in there. This year we're walking up to http://graycliff.com/ Graycliff so the guys can check out the cigars and then hit the main shopping area to see what we can see.

Just be alert!

We were on Conquest last September and in addition to any warnings printed in the Fun Times, there was a separate letter in each of our staterooms warning of danger and crime in Nassau.

The ship's shopping guy then used that as an opportunity to tell all debarking passengers that Nassau was really dangerous and we should just go shopping on Bay Street, where it's safe. He delivered his little speech as he handed out shopping maps. :rolleyes:

Maybe but it is the second highest port of call (behind Cozumel).

See my later post, I accidentally posted this before I was done with my post. The full sentence should read "Nassau has never been a desired port of mine"

Still getting used to the CC iPhone app :)

On our recent cruise via the Imagination on January 3rd we got off the ship and got a private tour at the end of the pier, it was great! Carnival did announce the elevation of crime in Nassau when we arrived in the port . My husband flat out asked the private tour guide why the heightened alarm. He told us that there is a lot of "gang" rival crime going on on the island , killing each other for territory. He did not feel that tourist or natives (not involved in crime or drugs) were at any risk.

We did feel safe the entire time on the island. We took a tour for about 3 hours then walked around and shopped and ate, went back to the ship for Formal night then took a taxi back out to Atlantis and back on board the ship around 2am. I ship left port at 7am.

Bahamas is by no means my favorite port but we did not feel unsafe at all, and certainly not unsafe around the port area no need to stay on the ship!

We have been to Ocho Rios too and again had a private tour set up and felt very safe the entire day, they too have had the drug gang problems for sure! Kingston (the capital) is very unsafe according to our tour guide. I wouldn't miss going out and visiting Ocho Rios again, it was beautiful!

I live in SW Florida and Believe me there are plenty of places I WOULD not

venture into! Crime is everywhere , people need to use their heads and be aware anywhere they travel!

I have been to Nassau many times and it was never really my favorite port. But last month, I cruised solo and hopped on the #10 bus, went to Graycliff and bought cigars for my husband, walked down to McDonalds and got on the bus again to be taken to Fish Fry. I spent a wonderful afternoon there and took the bus back downtown. Never did I feel unsafe. I had such a great time, in fact, I'll be there again this weekend. I plan to go to Fish Fry again. Kinda feeling uneasy after reading this, though.