Princess Turn On The Pool Heater !

PE Cruisers

Well I can tell you that on the 1/18 Ruby princess a good portion of the pool emptied out in the spa pool on one our days, almost half of it and they closed the pool. I had the chair close to the railing in the sun and I got wet from the pool water sloshing up.

I believe they had issues and drained the water on one of the sailings prior to us. Maybe the water just didn't have the chance to warm up like normally.

I always find the pool temps cold on Princess but then again I like keeping my own pool at 88 degrees and I'm used to swimming in the Gulf.

Just back from a wonderful 4 day cruise on the Ruby.For our 5th Princess Cruise in a row the pool was COLD.We are pool people & sit out at least 7 hours a day and when we get hot we like to go in pool to cool off.,NOT FREEZE !Although the pool deck was filled I saw a total 5 people in the main pool the entire cruise.No one would sign up for pool games or water volley ball because of the water temperature.I saw a family with 2 children who were all excited to go in the pool end up with the kids crying because it was too cold to go in.We've been on NCL & RCI and the pools are always comfortable.I can't see how it would cost that much to heat the pools !

We froze are as off for 20 days during Nov./Dec.Emerald sucks!

We froze are as off for 20 days during Nov./Dec.Emerald sucks!

Awesome to have your positive attitude back Tom!

At any rate, I can not remember the pools on Princess being anything but cold. I really wish that they would keep them a bit warmer

I've never found the Princess pools to be cold. Since I spend my summers swimming in Maine, where the ocean temperature is always in the 50s-60s, anything feels warmer than that! I will happily swim in any "cold" Princess pool. By the way, as you swim in cold water your body gets used to it, and you stop feeling so cold. It helps to go underwater a few times, too, to make your whole body feel the same temperature.

Edited by spunkyhungry

I also agree Princess hot tubs are never more than luke warm at best. Last year on the Diamond I spoke with the deck person that's responsible for testing the chlorine content and temperature. He said the computer system gives engineering a read-out of all the pool and hot tub temperatures. In fact, you can see this information on your cabin TV.

He claimed the system showed that particular hot tub at 36 Celsius (About 98 degrees). I told him my wife and I enjoy our hot tub at home all the time and keep it set at 98 degrees and this hot tub is no where near that warm. He came back moments later with a handheld thermometer and confirmed it was only 33 Celsius. (Only 92 degrees and quite chilly for a hot tub)

At that point he said he'd have it warmed up, but throughout the voyage it never increased in temperature.

I just don't think they really care - it seems trivial to them

Or their computer system needs to be recalibrated and perhaps loses its accuracy over time.

Think again. The Center for Disease Control has ruled that overly warm hot tubs on ships are responsible for many health problems experienced by overly medicated cruisers.

Through the USPH, which governs such things on all cruise lines operating from US Ports, they have required us to reduce temperatures in hot tubs, Jacuzzis, and spa pools.

They also required us to reduce the amount of bubbles generated by these pools as they allegedly encourage the growth of Legionella disease.

Think again. The Center for Disease Control has ruled that overly warm hot tubs on ships are responsible for many health problems experienced by overly medicated cruisers.

Through the USPH, which governs such things on all cruise lines operating from US Ports, they have required us to reduce temperatures in hot tubs, Jacuzzis, and spa pools.

They also required us to reduce the amount of bubbles generated by these pools as they allegedly encourage the growth of Legionella disease.

Bang on BruceMuzz. Was just going to post the same reply. Very true.

Paul

Well,I suppose that leaves us standing in our stateroom shower at the temperature we desire....not too hot,not to cold and most of all NO DISEASE!

What is the hot tub temperatures required to be then? (Per the USPH)

The CDC recommendations are here and really just reflect that no hot tub should exceed 104 degrees (which is controlled by all manufacturers).

And proper chlorination or bromination should be maintained.

We have had a hot tub for many years and keep it at 104 but I understand why Princess cannot due to liability.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/swimming/resources/operating-public-hot-tubs-factsheet.pdf

Mike:)

Just back from a wonderful 4 day cruise on the Ruby.For our 5th Princess Cruise in a row the pool was COLD.We are pool people & sit out at least 7 hours a day and when we get hot we like to go in pool to cool off.,NOT FREEZE !Although the pool deck was filled I saw a total 5 people in the main pool the entire cruise.No one would sign up for pool games or water volley ball because of the water temperature.I saw a family with 2 children who were all excited to go in the pool end up with the kids crying because it was too cold to go in.We've been on NCL & RCI and the pools are always comfortable.I can't see how it would cost that much to heat the pools !

We were also on this cruise, did a least 30 minutes a day in the Lotus pool swim against the current pool. Temperature was fine, however we live in New Hampshire.

I've never found the Princess pools to be cold. Since I spend my summers swimming in Maine, where the ocean temperature is always in the 50s-60s, anything feels warmer than that! I will happily swim in any "cold" Princess pool. By the way, as you swim in cold water your body gets used to it, and you stop feeling so cold. It helps to go underwater a few times, too, to make your whole body feel the same temperature.

We were on the Royal in Nov. yes pool was cold, after 17 cruises the only warm pool was on the Royal in Jan.14. In all my years of cruising on any line this was a first.

I've never been on Princess before. The cruise we will be taking is the Alaskan cruise. While I have been warned that you never really know about the weather there, I am not concerned about the pool temperature. However, I would absolutely not go on a cruise to a Caribbean locale on a ship where the pool was too cold to use! We have a little above ground pool in our yard and we have a heater for it. We are a bunch of wimps that won't go in if it's too cold. I'm surprised that Princess hasn't done anything about the pool temperature, knowing how many people are unhappy about it.

Last year I did two almost back to back trips on the two cruise lines. On Holland America there were many people enjoying the swimming pools all day; often 10-15 in at one time. On Princess it was very very rare to see anyone in any of the pools, although many did get as far as dipping their toes in the water. The same corporation and yet two very different approaches to swimming pool temperatures and usage! I sure know which I prefer.

I actually posted on the Princess Facebook because I was concerned about my upcoming cruise in March. According to their reply, at least one pool is heated on every voyage. I just want to actually be able to swim on my cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I actually posted on the Princess Facebook because I was concerned about my upcoming cruise in March. According to their reply, at least one pool is heated on every voyage. I just want to actually be able to swim on my cruise!

It must have been well hidden last week.

I wonder what brought about the change as all Princess pools have been heated in the past? Many times I have seen all the pool temps on the television e.g. 81, 84, 82, 82 over the years.

Last week no pool temps were displayed at all.

It must have been well hidden last week.

I wonder what brought about the change as all Princess pools have been heated in the past? Many times I have seen all the pool temps on the television e.g. 81, 84, 82, 82 over the years.

Last week no pool temps were displayed at all.

Mike - we were on the same cruise as you and while I didn't use the pools, I noticed (while thoroughly enjoying the Sanctuary) that lots of folks were in the Lotus Spa pool every day. Maybe that one - which is smaller than the main pools (Neptune and Calypso) - is heated or stays warmer given its protected (surrounded by the Spa) location.

Mike - we were on the same cruise as you and while I didn't use the pools, I noticed (while thoroughly enjoying the Sanctuary) that lots of folks were in the Lotus Spa pool every day. Maybe that one - which is smaller than the main pools (Neptune and Calypso) - is heated or stays warmer given its protected (surrounded by the Spa) location.

We don't use the pools either and since I didn't go by the LS pool I am betting you are right.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report the pools on the Caribbean Princess were very warm this last week - perhaps someone at Princess noticed this thread.

I hate cold pools and was able to go right into both the main pools without any problems. Noticed warm water was constantly being pumped in via feeling one of the inlets.

Edited by pmd98052