Taxi rental for power chair in Puerto Vallarta

GoneJohnson

I'm in the wheelchair and I am taking my mother on a 10 night Mexican Rivera cruise leaving LA on the Sapphire Princess. Her sister and a caregiver for me. I had my first cruise in April 2013 and fell in love with it a 7 night Mexico same route. So I've done the route except LaPaz which is a tender and Loreto I can get off. Mom's not the best at walking so probably won't get off at the Tenders.

I want a taxi in Puerto Vallarta to take us to the walkway along the water... with different venders, shops, sand sculptures. We got rushed last time.

Thanks for any tips.

I'm in the wheelchair and I am taking my mother on a 10 night Mexican Rivera cruise leaving LA on the Sapphire Princess. Her sister and a caregiver for me. I had my first cruise in April 2013 and fell in love with it a 7 night Mexico same route. So I've done the route except LaPaz which is a tender and Loreto I can get off. Mom's not the best at walking so probably won't get off at the Tenders.

I want a taxi in Puerto Vallarta to take us to the walkway along the water... with different venders, shops, sand sculptures. We got rushed last time.

Thanks for any tips.

Was in Puerto Vallarta last year. Regrettably there were no taxis equipped with a ramp or lift. If you are able to transfer and have a collapsible wheelchair there are standard taxi vans available. If not, than you'll have to try to locate a private company. Here's a link to check out but please note that I have never used this company and cannot give personal recommendation http://www.accesiblemexico.com/index.html

Darn, no minivan taxi's with ramps - really. :( the link seems more rental equipment. Well…

Last year someone said you could walk it. Any decent links, maps of PV to try to determine distance. I'll go looking. All I know or remember it was a few miles from the cruise ships which we could see. We were along the ocean on a concrete walk way along the water... with different venders, shops, sand sculptures and historic statues. It had a name or reference point.

Thanks again,

Randy

We have used Accessible Mexico (link above) a number of times in Puerto Vallarta. They can provide both taxi service and tours. We have taken them downtown to shop; then arranged for them to pick us up at certain time. We have also taken a couple of tours with them (including tequila factories, restaurants, and shopping). They do book up when ships are in port, so make reservations with them as far in advance as possible. Their van is a rear entry lift, not a ramp van.

The shopping area you are referencing is called the Malecon. Old Town is a little further south, but also has shops and restaurants.

Edited by Splinter

• 1 month later...

Thank you all very much for you help and input. We got transportation with help from Princess front desk in Puerto Vallarta and got to spend time there.

My mom and her sister both had a great time on the cruise but seeing each other for 10 days. They only see each other a day or two each year if that. They got to visit about everything… high school memories.

So now to get ready for a East to West coast Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity March 29, 2015 - any info, thoughts please post at link below?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1873907

Again, Thanks

Randy

You can easily get of at LA Paz but are limited to about 30 vendors right close to the cruise ship. They also had a vendor with beers, mixed drinks and basic foods. The shuttle is not wheelchair accessible and LA Paz offers no accessible transportation. From what my friend said even if I could have got into aLa Paz it would have been difficult getting around.

In La Paz, you are about 10 miles from town at the pier. There is no accessible shuttle. Too bad, because La Paz itself would be no more difficult to get around in in a wheelchair than Puerto Vallarta or Cabo. With a manual chair, you could take a cab (unless you can climb the steps of a school bus, which is what the shuttles are), but with a power chair you are limited to the immediate port area. We got off and my mother looked at the about 10 vendors on the pier, and then reboarded. She stayed on the ship while I took the shuttle into town.

Yep Splinter's got that right,

Except for the number of vendors I saw about 30. I'm kicking myself because there were nice wind chimes and some other souvenirs I did not buy. They were by far cheaper in La Paz than else where. I was there just there this past Wednesday March 5th, 2014. I use an electric power-chair full time or 24/7.

Fun it was. Even though I can't get off ship that often I've completely enjoyed my first two cruises. I'm looking forward to the Panama Canal next year.