Nickel and diming?

sunflowr04

People keep saying that NCL nickel and dimes you as opposed to other cruise lines like Celebrity. What exactly do they mean by this? So far, I've only cruised in RC and disney.

OK, so I just browsed Celebrity's website and as far as I can tell, you pay extra for the same things:

- Full service spa

- Beauty salon

- Boutiques & shopping

- Art auctions/galleries

- Shore excursions

- Fitness trainers/classes

- Babysitting service

- Cocktails

- Specialty dining

I am guessing RC would charge for those things as well. Disney may include some of them, I hear they don't charge for soda. Not sure about their specialty dining.

OK, so I just browsed Celebrity's website and as far as I can tell, you pay extra for the same things:

- Full service spa

- Beauty salon

- Boutiques & shopping

- Art auctions/galleries

- Shore excursions

- Fitness trainers/classes

- Babysitting service

- Cocktails

- Specialty dining

I am guessing RC would charge for those things as well. Disney may include some of them, I hear they don't charge for soda. Not sure about their specialty dining.

Oh Disney charges extra for their specialty dining.. in fact I think they charge the highest surcharge of any mainstream line out there.

Personally I DO think NCL have more on-board surcharges than all other mass-market lines. However this is because they have more 'choices' of dining and entertainment.

Sometimes their fares may well be lower, which compensates. Anyway the additional surcharges are NOT compulsory.

They may be more aggressive in their marketing, but offer the same extras for a fee that you would have on the other mainstream lines. Since the marketing is more noticable this often leads to the "nickel and dime" comments. (And if someone doesn't like the food in the MDR they will say that NCL keeps the quality low to force people to eat in the specialty restaurants.)

Personally I DO think NCL have more on-board surcharges than all other mass-market lines. However this is because they have more 'choices' of dining and entertainment.

Sometimes their fares may well be lower, which compensates. Anyway the additional surcharges are NOT compulsory.

What specific on-board services does NCL charge for that other main stream lines have covered in the base fare? Thanks:)

30% of NCL profit comes from onboard spending. That is a huge amount so of course there are more choices to spend anywhere you want. You want gelato, Carlos cupcakes, spa, some classes, good steak, most restaurants and even some entertainment, be prepared to spend a little more. Yes all cruise lines do it but NCL seems to be tagged a little more than the other lines. But after 21 months of growth, NCL must be doing something right. $$$$$

Edited by david_sobe

What entertainment (ie shows) are a charge on the non-mega ships?

I thought that only the circus/ magic venues charged.

Only shows that include either lunch or dinner: Cirque (on Epic and Breakaway), Illusionarium (on Getaway) and Second City murder mystery where available.

Edited by Demonyte