Pack n Play on RC

kitkat96

We just booked on RC with our 2 1/2 year old. He still sleeps in a pack and play when we travel. When I requested a play yard in the room, the agent gave me a hard time. She asked if he was over 24 inches? Of course he is - he's 2 1/2. She said they only allow PnP for under 24 inches, due to manufacturers requirements. (Which is not true, Graco recommends only up to 35")

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=321

She said she would reserve it, but make a note in my reservation that he was too big and should sleep in a bed.

Has anyone else experienced this?

This is from Royal's website. The agent isn't allowed to make up rules and while I understand that you have specific needs- they are providing one. The agent has to make note that you have been informed of this. I for one, would not use this pack n play because it sounds inappropriate for a 2.5 year old. I'm not saying the one you have at home isn't- just the cruise line's is.

s.gif

s.gif

Life Onboard

s.gif

s.gifcor_print_icon.gif

Q: Can cribs/rollaways be provided in my stateroom? s.gif A: Royal Caribbean provides Play Yard's for use onboard. Play Yard's are similar to a playpen. Cribs are no longer provided.

Play Yard's specifics:

For use by children unable to climb out, less than 24" tall, and less than 30 lbs. Mesh on four sides Sets up in less than one minute Strong and stable, yet lightweight Approx. dimensions 28"W x 38 7/8"L x 31-1/4"H Mattress/pad is 1" thick Sheets are provided Folds for storage and includes carrying bag with handle

Play Yard's should be reserved in advance so that we are sure we have enough onboard.

Please Note: Only one Play Yard per stateroom can be reserved in advance. Requests for additional units must be made onboard.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We are planing on sailing with our 18mo old in March. I actually made the decision after seeing their pack and play that it would be way too small for our baby. Their pack and plays are "off brands" and they are extremely small-more like a travel crib than a pack n play. I wouldn't compare them to the larger Graco models (especially if you have one of the ones that came with a changing station and newborn napper).

So I actually snagged a foldable cot from Zulily that fits perfectly in our luggage. It sort of looks like the foldable chairs You'd take to tailgates and sporting events. Since ours naps on a cot at "school", I figured it would be a better choice than dealing with a too small pack and play. I have also heard of the stateroom attendants making up little floor beds for the tot crowd. However, my child will only sleep well if its on something familiar-which is why we had a few dry runs with the cot as we were traveling.

Really..have you used one of the pack-n-plays on an RCI ship because 28 x 38 (RCI's published sizing) is comparable to ours (both Graco & BabyTrend).. I also have a "travel crib" and it is smaller..Perhaps the newer ones (pack-n-play) with bassinett are larger :confused:...Also you might (as other's have) considered turning the sofa or loveseat around facing the wall...works well too. ;)

That's odd. Our daughter was 2 yrs. 3 mos. and over 24" on our Princess cruise and we didn't have any issues reserving a pack n' play. It seemed like a pretty standard size one, but we weren't on RCL. She fit just fine, though I wouldn't go a whole lot older/bigger in one of those. She slept in it most nights and most naps on a 28 day cruise.

I'm having a hard time with 24" max. My little guy is turning 12 weeks next week and is already 25" long.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry...what...24" max :confused:...There (pack-n-play aka portacribs) are 28" wide by 38 7/8" long ;)

Check with cruiselines, as I thought that the child needed to be at least 6 months to cruise. I could be wrong as all my children are grown, and I haven't encountered that situation..

Correct 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise...for TA they must be 12 months old.

We used them a few times before our dd turned 3 and the last time she was about two and a half. As she got bigger she could more easily stick her foot out and try to get out (but couldn't lift herself.). I doubt a cabin attendant would mind getting you one.

It really depends on the child but after our dd started the climb out of the crib and we got into potty training a cot like ones mentioned on here worked just as good.

I'm sure you will be fine with what you choose and your child will have a great time.

Honestly, skip it if you can. If you have a room with a sofa, turn it around so it is facing the wall therefore 3 sides are the back of the couch, the wall and the the wall at the head.

have them put a sheet and blanket on the cushions. That's how my 20 month old slept for a week and he was SO happy. plus we had more room in the cabin without the pnp