Death of a Princess....

RickEk

I still think they should take these ships out and sink them - make them into a coral reef that still has life in it - rather than taking them apart piece by piece like they are pieces of junk. Would be much more dignified.

The ship with the red funnel next to Pacific Princess is old Sky Princess which is a little farther in the breaking process.

I still think they should take these ships out and sink them - make them into a coral reef that still has life in it - rather than taking them apart piece by piece like they are pieces of junk. Would be much more dignified.

The ship with the red funnel next to Pacific Princess is old Sky Princess which is a little farther in the breaking process.

I agree: just something so sad about this. It does seem like it would be more fitting to remove anything furniture and such and then sink her somewhere to create a new reef and diving attraction. Too bad.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

The current issue of Cruise Travel magazine has an article about the Aliaga scrapyard near Izmir Turkey. As you look at the Pacific Princess the ship to her left is Sitmar's Fairsky which became the Sky Princess after the merger. The magazine article shows other ships & info about the process including about a lot of ship memorabilia for sale.

I am lucky that the aircraft carrier USS Midway where I served avoided the scrapyard & that I can drive a couple of hours to visit her in SD now that she's a museum.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The current issue of Cruise Travel magazine has an article about the Aliaga scrapyard near Izmir Turkey. As you look at the Pacific Princess the ship to her left is Sitmar's Fairsky which became the Sky Princess after the merger. The magazine article shows other ships & info about the process including about a lot of ship memorabilia for sale.

Thats what Ricks photo/story link says.

The Love Boat TV show introduced me and countless others to the experience of cruising. Our first voyage after we were married, was on the original Regal Princess and we are thrilled to be on the new Regal Princess as she sails out of Venice on her maiden voyage across the Atlantic to Port Everglades later this year.

A sad day indeed to see the Pacific Princess go and seemingly unfitting way for her to be put down. I agree with others above that she might be better served by returning to the sea as her final resting place.

Thanks Pacific Princess for all the memories......you will not be forgotten.

In the 1970's I and 5 of my co workers had an afternoon tour on avery sunny afternoon at the cruise terminal in Vancouver.

I was a long distance operator at the phone Company and this Scottish guy placed a call to the UK.I said 'What is a Scottish guy doing in Vancouver'he answered he worked on this ship.In those days only the wealthy could cruise.'I said 'Aw you lucky thing would love to cruise on her'he answered'Would you like a ticket to see over her while in port? I jumped at the chance and cheekily asked if some of my co workers could join me.I gave my address and 6 tickets arrived in the mail.We 6 girls had the free run of the ship looking in cabins,danced in the small cocktail bar to the jukebox, and lay out on the loungers.Nicked a small hand towel with Princess written on it.Nobody showed us around we were allowed to wander.

A wonderful afternoon that I have never forgotten.:)