Grand: ukulele songs

sterling2

Not real recent...but, we were on the Sapphire to Hawaii in March of last year.

We did:

Aloha Oe'

This Land is your land

Michael Row the Boat Ashore

and

later in the advanced part we did Over the Rainbow

There were several other easy ones, but not remembering and don't see it written in my notes.

Any recent cruisers on the Grand know what songs are being taught in the ukulele class?

DH wants to practice. Thanks!

I was on the Grand in December and if you want to reach Kimo and Lokelina they can be reached at fairwindsmusic@hotmail.com.

Tell them that they met Tom Barton from Cruise Critic on the Holiday Cruise.

Tom:)

Thanks for replying. We are on the Grand in March. Keikidoc, have a great trip and if you wouldn't mind, will you let us know how the uke classes are. Thanks!

Will do. Looking forward to our sail. 4 days to go and started sorting stuff to take.

Taking 2 ukes I made.

• 3 weeks later...
Presently on Grand. Only 2 more days. We played Pearly Shells, Tiny Bubbles and Aloha oe. Kimo and Lokelina do a great job.

Thank you for posting! Was there enough ukeleles for people, and do they sell them onboard ? Thinking I would like to pick one up onboard if they are not too expensive.:)

Thank you for posting! Was there enough ukeleles for people, and do they sell them onboard ? Thinking I would like to pick one up onboard if they are not too expensive.:)

They ran out of ukes for students. They have about 40 or so soprano ukes that are loaned out and you have to give them back after the class. There is a uke for sale in the ship store about $120. Can't remember exactly. Came with a case and tuner. Kimo has a list of stores in each port that sells ukes if you want one made in HI. Be prepared to pay $600+ for a good custom uke in the islands.

They ran out of ukes for students. They have about 40 or so soprano ukes that are loaned out and you have to give them back after the class. There is a uke for sale in the ship store about $120. Can't remember exactly. Came with a case and tuner. Kimo has a list of stores in each port that sells ukes if you want one made in HI. Be prepared to pay $600+ for a good custom uke in the islands.

Thank you so much! I am not even sure if there will be ukelele lessons at all on our cruise, as the couple that is currently on will be switching to a Japan itinerary before April :(

was the sailing rough out there or was it smooth to hawaii??

On the cruise that ended on 18 Feb, it was minor rocky out of SF the first night. From then on, it was smooth sailing till we started north from Ensanada. 14 ft swells made walking hilarious. I did not get nauseated but some folks were feeling it and not very hungry. It was only the last night, we were very fortunate.

Thank you so much! I am not even sure if there will be ukelele lessons at all on our cruise, as the couple that is currently on will be switching to a Japan itinerary before April :(

Elua (Dave) wrote on his Facebook page that the Star will be bringing someone on board for his remaining voyages. Unfortunately, the other Dave (Cole/CD) will also be leaving the ship. Both Daves taught the ukulele classes.

As for a ukulele....I purchased a very inexpensive one to bring on ship with me (left the good one at home). I was able to sell it prior to the Aloha Oe show because I was going to do the hula. Yes, these classes are very popular and I didn't want to miss out because they ran out of ukuleles. Just announce your intentions before you hit the islands. Good ukuleles begin around $200 but can go up rapidly. I paid $45 for mine. It had a reasonably nice tone for the price.

If you are serious about keeping yours, look into the "Flea".

http://ukulelehunt.com/buy-ukulele/brands/flea-ukulele/

Enjoy learning this instrument.

Does anyone have a preference about the Grand (sf) to hawaii or the star(out of la?)

I have about 24 hours to book and I dont like the reviews out of sf for the grand.. Confused on which ship to take. .. I am in the middle of the state so it makes no difference to me.

But I would prefer a smoother sailing .. lol

anyone?

Does anyone have a preference about the Grand (sf) to hawaii or the star(out of la?)

I have about 24 hours to book and I dont like the reviews out of sf for the grand.. Confused on which ship to take. .. I am in the middle of the state so it makes no difference to me.

But I would prefer a smoother sailing .. lol

anyone?

Just got off the Grand in SF. Had a great trip and the ship was excellent as was the crew. Dan the CD with his AsstCD Kez are very funny put on a great time during the sea days. I cannot speak for the Star.

As for the weather/ocean/swells it is a luck of the draw. We only had one bad day of rocky sailing the whole time. I like SF cause we live in NoCal and could drive to the terminal.

Is it normal that the ship would miss the port due to waves or bad weather? Wouldent they just stay in another port longer? Thanks again .. :)

I have heard of ships skipping ports. Couple of sails ago, the Star skipped Lahaina due to rough seas and too dangerous for the tenders. Other sails have skipped ports due to sea emergencies, like man overboard and they altered their schedule to search for the person. I believe the ports are scheduled way in advance and there may be a ship in everyday so staying for two days may not be an option. I'm not an expert on this so I'm only guessing.

Wondering if I could call princess and find out - I could always take another ship that does have the teachers- I heard grand has zumba classess too- Wondering if all the ships have the same fitness schedule?

:eek:

Kimo and Lokelani were moving on to the Japan circuit with Princess at the end of April. I believe they were doing two more HI out of SF, taking a 17 day break when the Grand does a Costal trip then back on for one more to HI. They have someone lined up to take their place when the move on. There were line dancing, ball room dancing, hula and zumba classes available. Don't know about the other ships. I guess it's a matter if the staff available is proficient in leading the classes.