Passport Card...

Lyncoya

ROUTINE SERVICE As of (Thursday January 30, 2014), we are processing routine applications in approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application.

EXPEDITED SERVICE As of (Thursday January 30, 2014), we are processing requests for expedited service in about 2-3 weeks door-to-door, when overnight delivery is requested and paid for both ways (to and from the passport agency).*

Is a passport CARD sufficient for an open looped cruise?

Depends on where the open looped cruise starts and finishes. If it is from one U.S. Port to a different U.S. port (see quote below) than you can use your card. If it starts in a US port but finishes in a foreign port then you need a passport.

"Cruise passengers who are U.S. citizens (USCs) sailing on vessels with voyages that depart from one USA port and return to a DIFFERENT USA port, are sailing on what is known as a "OPEN LOOP" itinerary. US Citizen passengers on OPEN LOOP itineraries must hold a valid passport, passport card, or other specific USG approved card. They will NOT be allowed to embark with a birth certificate and drivers license."

No. You will need a regular passport.

Not necessarily so. The passport card is good for sea ports of entry to Canada, Bermuda, Mexico and the Caribbean so if the open looped cruise is from one US city to another it is certainly usable. (It's also usable for trips that terminate in Canada, you would just have to drive home instead of flying.)

It still wouldn't hurt to get a passport. All it takes is one agent, who might not know the rules to not allow you to board. Or print out an official document with the rules and take that with you.

People can quote all they like or say it's OK, but the agent has the final word at boarding...would really suck to be denied. Plus, think of all the really cool places you can go with a passport.

A passport card is pretty much useless. You can use your birth certificate for any cruise that you can use a passport card for. And you can't use it to fly home if something happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wrong. See below.

Depends on where the open looped cruise starts and finishes. If it is from one U.S. Port to a different U.S. port (see quote below) than you can use your card. If it starts in a US port but finishes in a foreign port then you need a passport.

"Cruise passengers who are U.S. citizens (USCs) sailing on vessels with voyages that depart from one USA port and return to a DIFFERENT USA port, are sailing on what is known as a "OPEN LOOP" itinerary. US Citizen passengers on OPEN LOOP itineraries must hold a valid passport, passport card, or other specific USG approved card. They will NOT be allowed to embark with a birth certificate and drivers license."

For the open loop cruise that the OP is going on, they can use a passport card but not a birth certificate.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Saw this link earlier, which says what each would need when I did a google search:

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/sections/traveldocs.ashx

Seriously??? This is saying (And it points out MY cruise in particular) that I don't NEED a passport. I'm so confused...

Cruises that begin and end in a different U.S ports

For these cruises that begin and end in a different U.S port, ALL guests are required to carry proof of citizenship AND proof of identification.

Carnival Dream 4/05/14 cruise: Port Canaveral/New Orleans

Carnival Sunshine 4/06/14 cruise: Tampa/Port Canaveral

Carnival Legend 8/17/14 cruise: Tampa/Long Beach

Carnival Splendor cruises (10/24/14): New York/San Juan

Carnival Splendor cruises (11/01/14): San Juan/Miami

Proof of Citizenship: A birth certificate or any of the WHTI-Compliant Documents listed below are acceptable.

Proof of Identification (I.D): A non-expired government-issued photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older.

Edited by Lyncoya

Seriously??? This is saying (And it points out MY cruise in particular) that I don't NEED a passport. I'm so confused...

Cruises that begin and end in a different U.S ports

For these cruises that begin and end in a different U.S port, ALL guests are required to carry proof of citizenship AND proof of identification.

Carnival Dream 4/05/14 cruise: Port Canaveral/New Orleans

Carnival Sunshine 4/06/14 cruise: Tampa/Port Canaveral

Carnival Legend 8/17/14 cruise: Tampa/Long Beach

Carnival Splendor cruises (10/24/14): New York/San Juan

Carnival Splendor cruises (11/01/14): San Juan/Miami

Proof of Citizenship: A birth certificate or any of the WHTI-Compliant Documents listed below are acceptable.

Proof of Identification (I.D): A non-expired government-issued photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older.

I have a passport and I questioned Carnival about people who didn't have one for my Splendor reposition (some going with) and she said, wait, let me go look and told me what is listed above. And the link above is from Carnival?

I have a passport and I questioned Carnival about people who didn't have one for my Splendor reposition (some going with) and she said, wait, let me go look and told me what is listed above. And the link above is from Carnival?

Exactly. It's directly from their site. I'm scared to call tomorrow. lol

Let me know what they tell you. Never on one page there it seems or they just print old info.

I just got off the line with Carnival. They did confirm that we DON'T NEED passports.

I just got off the line with Carnival. They did confirm that we DON'T NEED passports.

I don't know why people would not get a passport for travel. If you are outside of the USA and need, for whatever reason, to return in a hurry, you need a passport. I'm dealing with this very problem with family members (telling them to get passports). You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink. ;)

Edited by Tyme2Cruise

I just don't see the point of spending $$ on a passport card. I understand that it's convenient for those that travel back and forth on land between Canada/Mexico and the US, but if you don't fall under that category, they are useless. The cruise lines accepts them, that's fine, but if you get stranded or have a medical emergency while in port, they are as useless as a birth certificate. Personally if you are going to spend the money, you might as well fork over a few more bucks for a real passport. JMHO.

I just don't see the point of spending $$ on a passport card. I understand that it's convenient for those that travel back and forth on land between Canada/Mexico and the US, but if you don't fall under that category, they are useless. The cruise lines accepts them, that's fine, but if you get stranded or have a medical emergency while in port, they are as useless as a birth certificate. Personally if you are going to spend the money, you might as well fork over a few more bucks for a real passport. JMHO.

I agree 100%.

The one advantage that a passport card has over a birth certificate is that if you do have an emergency it is easier for the Consulate to verify your citizenship because you are already in their system. The other advantage is that it can be used for open jaw sailing in the Wetern Hemisphere.