Picking Cruiseline then Itinerary Planning

Am I the oddball here who picks the Cruiseline and ship before the itinerary? When I plan my cruise I want to go on a cruiseline and ship that caters to my needs.

I would much rather go on Royal to Alaska than Holland America after hearing from my friend about their experience on Holland America. My friend told me that most everything was shut down by 9 PM. My friend is in his 30s like me and even his Father who is in his mid 60s would have rather gone on Royal.

In my opinion I would rather pick the cruiseline and ship and wait for an itinerary that I like than going on a cruiseline like Holland America where you can be runover by Hovarounds, pushed and shoved in line by testy seniors.

While I think seniors should be able to cruise they should be nice and respectful of the young people just like I respect them. I do not need someone trying to push and shove in line when I was standing there cordially.

I picked Royal for my first cruise because it fit our demographics and activity level not because a travel agent was trying to push Holland America so they could get more commission.

I don't plan to stay at a rundown Motel just because its close to where I want to tour. I go to a nice hotel and so what if its a 20 minute drive at least I come home to a place I want to come back to.

Just like a ship this is my home for 2 weeks. I would feel miserable if I knew there wasn't any activities for the younger crowd or its limited. While I don't like the craziness of Carnival but I do like the active style of Royal this is why I chose Royal after reading endless reviews about the various cruiselines.

I was not like pick a random itinerary go on the ship and pay the cheapest price possible which could turn into an unpleasant introduction to cruising and I would have just stopped cruising. I think if I had gone on Carnival for my first cruise I would have been so overwhelmed by Carnival that I would not want to cruise again.

But because I picked Royal I am now going on my third trans atlantic cruise. Everyone was friendly and even some staff members remembered me from my first cruise on my cruise last year. The food was great and fun.

I picked a Brazilian Itinerary as I like dancing and having fun for this cruise. I like to vary my itineraries and see new places.

I think some people are obsessed with an itinerary and they pick the wrong ship and cruiseline. I feel bad for the Grandparents taking their Grandkids on Holland and there is not enough activity like on Royal.

Now I would like to try Celebrity for my next cruise as I like peaceful time mixed with good activities. I like how Royal treats its guest and now I want to try their upper class line and even go on an Azamara cruise.

Royal in my eyes really gave me the "WOW" experience I was hoping for. I love the entertainment and there is so much to do onboard. I was not bored on Sea Days.

I love the Trans Atlantic Cruise as it gives you time to explore the ship, do the activities and you get extra activities as its a long cruise.

You are absolutely NOT an oddball! In fact, it sounds to me like you have thought out your needs/wants, etc. very carefully, and you will pick the right cruise for you--regardless if your first consideration is cruise line or itinerary! Everyone has their own way of figuring out the best plan for them, and knowing what you want, and what your priorities are, are, IMO, key in planning for a great vacation.

Just knowing the ins and outs of different cruise lines, and then matching it all up to your ideas for your vacation AND your expectations, all tells me that you will make a great decision for your next cruise. Have a great time planning, and have a great cruise!

"I would much rather go on Royal to Alaska than Holland America after hearing from my friend about their experience on Holland America. My friend told me that most everything was shut down by 9 PM. My friend is in his 30s like me and even his Father who is in his mid 60s would have rather gone on Royal."

Cruising to Alaska is not like cruising the Caribbean. I have done both and if you actively participate in an Alaska cruise you will probably want to be in bed at 9 or 10. That is why everything is shut down.

I know that you are NOT the only one who favors one cruiseline over another, but if you were, SO WHAT? It's your vacation! Whether it's a once in a lifetime trip, or your monthly outing at sea, you should get the vacation that fits YOU. If that means you pick by cruiseline, so be it.

I have met people who pick by port (so they don't have to fly), by time of year, and by itinerary. There are lots of choices out there, because there's lots of different kinds of people out there.

I'm glad you found what you were looking for!

I am like you. I enjoy Royal for all the reasons you state. Oh... by the way... I'm a "senior" (62). And I don't like those who shove either.

Now that the "gee you kind of lumped us into one pot" lecture is out of the way, I love Royal because it allows me to be "young at heart." Carnival, as much fun as I had on it, is too "party" for me. Holland, as you stated is too "old" for me. So I stick with Royal. What I do is either cruise the ship, i.e. Oasis or Allure, or cruise the itinerary. I am going to Alaska in May, and I accepted RCCL's itinerary as opposed to Princess which was just a bit better. Why? Because I am D+ and get better perks, and I just like RCCL.

So you aren't "odd," you are just "normal." In fact I'd say you are smart. You combine experience with itinerary and love it. Too many pick price and just don't like it.

As someone said, it's your vacation, who cares what others do? You do what makes you happy. And I dare say, at least for us RCCL fans, you are among the majority, not the minority.