Zuiderdam Alaska cruise tour June 28 14 days

wyobean

We have booked this vacation and I am looking for any input on tours, likes and dislikes you might want to share, etc. I am in the process of reading reviews, but there is a lot to wade through here! LOL thanks for ANY information you would like to share...

That's a pretty broad question! :) My likes and dislikes may not resemble yours at all. Tell us something about yourself, and what you like to do.

Have you checked out the Ports of Call Alaska forum?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Your Roll Call only has one entry so far:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976072

Edited by jtl513

Your ship is making a service call at Tracy Arm to allow people to transfer to a catamaran for a ride up the fjord. I recommend this tour, not because I've taken it, but because I haven't (yet).

I have been up the fjord on the ship twice, and think it gorgeous. Just a spectacular ride. I booked another Alaska cruise for August for the sole reason to take the shore excursion up the fjord.

Well, we love the outdoors, love to walk. Read about the river cruise at Whitehorse and would love that. Want to see as much as we can. We are 59 and 60 and want to do this while we are healthy in case that changes. Have been spending time reading other's reviews, but it sounds like some of that will change this year.

We have cruised in the Caribbean several times. We choose cruises to places we have never been to see if we would like to go back. We spend a lot of time on Isla Mujeres in Mexico. We rent an apartment and either cook in or eat at the local taquerias. We are budget conscious travelers. We would rather stay in a clean budget hotel and stay longer than be pampered in luxury for only a few days. This will be by far the most money we have ever spent on a vacation, but have been looking forward to it for several years.

There used to be a "Hike the Chilkoot, Float Trip Back" excursion in Skagway that might be of interest to you. I missed it because I messed up my knee the night before we got to Skagway :( Not sure if it is still offered.....

The National Parks Service in Skagway conducts tours, and has hiking maps. There are lots of hikes you can do in Skagway. Or take the Fast Ferry to Haines, if there are round-trip seats available, and see a non-touristy Alaska town.

Ketchikan is very walkable. My personal favorite is walk to the Totem Heritage Center. When leaving the THC walk downhill along Deermount, onto Stedman (runs along the waterfront), then to Creek Street (where you can join up with the Married Man's Trail). On Deermount and Stedman you will see a number of totems in private yards. If you like NWC art, this is the town to browse in, there are lots of galleries devoted to local art. Plenty of totem poles to see, too.

That's just my humble opinion. My favorite in Ketchikan may be too "city" for your tastes ;)

Edited by CowPrincess

Definitely have a look at the Totem Heritage Center website if you are at all interested in history and indigenous culture. The place knocks me off my feet every time I am there :) Getting there before the cruiseship tours do, I've been able to find a guide to have to myself for an hour or two. Sometimes you can get to hear stories of their own lives, and of their experiences at the THC after public hours. The best $5 I have spent on a museum ever.

Another popular thing in Skagway is to rent a car and drive to the Yukon. Can be a low-cost, independent day. I haven't done that either. But I'm going back this year so who knows, right?

Have a wonderful time in Alaska!

Check out the Alaska forum too, lots of great info and experienced cruisers hang out there!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=55

Edited by CowPrincess