Direct flight day of?

Ilovesailaway

Ok I know this has been discussed all over cruise critic. Please have an open mind and tell me what you think.

Flying direct to FLL arriving at 9:30 am for a cruise out of POM. The flight starts in Buffalo. The cruise is in July. The back up plan is another flight that leaves an hour later, has a connection, and gets in to FLL at 1230 pm.

We will have our transportation from FLL to POM booked.

We could do the night before but I hate the flight times and no direct. We would spend all day traveling and get in to FLL late. We could not go earlier than the night before.

If it were winter I would not risk it. I would take the lousy flights the day before. Because it is an early am direct flight in July I am leaning toward it.

We are doing the same routing, fly into FLL, then to POM, we're going in a day early to see some old friends. We were planning on taking a taxi to POM, is there a better way?

I always try to arrive a day early, as a frequent business traveler I can't tell you the amount of times a unexpected equipment malfunction has caused me to be hours late! Personally I'd rather be early than worried with tight connections!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You'll most likely be fine. 2 things that can trip you up would be severe thunderstorms in July, not to mention possible mechanical issues.

The other is your back-up plane could be fully booked by the time you find out you need it.

Again, you should be fine.

We always fly in the day of the cruise, and knock on wood....:rolleyes::rolleyes: we have been LUCKY!!!! I certainly wouldn't do that in the winter months, however, we normally cruise in April or May. You will get mixed opinions on here, but it's good that you already have a back up plan in mind.:D Keep us posted, and good luck!!!!

For my first cruise, when I didn't know any better, our travel agent booked our flight. It landed in Tampa at 12:15pm...on the day of (June 1). Everything went fine and we made it with time to spare, but I don't think I would do it again. Too many things can happen. With that said, this flight lands early in the morning, so that is good. If you choose to do this, I'd get travel insurance, and make sure you have a passport in case you miss the ship and need to get on at the first port. Good luck!

We are doing the same routing, fly into FLL, then to POM, we're going in a day early to see some old friends. We were planning on taking a taxi to POM, is there a better way?

I always try to arrive a day early, as a frequent business traveler I can't tell you the amount of times a unexpected equipment malfunction has caused me to be hours late! Personally I'd rather be early than worried with tight connections!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The shared shuttle vans will save you money. SAS and QLS among others.

You'll most likely be fine. 2 things that can trip you up would be severe thunderstorms in July, not to mention possible mechanical issues.

The other is your back-up plane could be fully booked by the time you find out you need it.

Again, you should be fine.

If you book the day before and the thunderstorm / full back up planes happen that day you are out of luck as well.

I always fly day of.

For my first cruise, when I didn't know any better, our travel agent booked our flight. It landed in Tampa at 12:15pm...on the day of (June 1). Everything went fine and we made it with time to spare, but I don't think I would do it again. Too many things can happen. With that said, this flight lands early in the morning, so that is good. If you choose to do this, I'd get travel insurance, and make sure you have a passport in case you miss the ship and need to get on at the first port. Good luck!

Wasn't there just a thread about this recently? I thought you were no longer able to "meet up" with the ship in the first port of call? Or is it just under special circumstances?:confused:

[/color][/b]

Wasn't there just a thread about this recently? I thought you were no longer able to "meet up" with the ship in the first port of call? Or is it just under special circumstances?:confused:

Yes there was. Carnival would not let the man fly down and meet the ship and his family in Nassau even though he had a passport.

They said by letting him on in Nassau it changed the cruise from a closed loop cruise to an open loop cruise and the whole ship had to go through immigration.

Bill

I would go with the all day itinerary :( I hate that too but would hate to just risk it. March my mom is even meeting us the night before at the port to stay at the hotel even though she lives 3 hours away so we don't have any surprises :)

I just figure it as part of the cost to go :) for the extra night charges.

[/color][/b]

You have to prove mechanical failure or something like that as the reason for you missing the ship. The gentleman you are thinking about just didn't have his birth certificate with him.

To the OP I am just too cautious to book flights the day of. I would choose the flights/plan you have but do it the day before rather than the day of the cruise. You can miss flights due to many reasons other than weather. My husband missed one this past week because of mechanical failure and it was the last flight of the day so the airline had to put him up for the night.

As an airline pilot, and knowing everything that can go wrong, I would NEVER fly on the day of the cruise. NEVER.

Don't think that because it's July, it's OK. Summer weather can throw just as many wrenches in your travel plans as winter weather. And weather is just one of a long list of things that can leave you crying as your ship sails away without you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

OP, I would and have flown day of. I'd only do it on the first flight out, direct.

[/color][/b]

There was. He was not allowed to meet the ship because it was his fault he couldn't board. They may make exceptions for missed/delayed flights, but you can't count on it.

As an airline pilot, and knowing everything that can go wrong, I would NEVER fly on the day of the cruise. NEVER.

Don't think that because it's July, it's OK. Summer weather can throw just as many wrenches in your travel plans as winter weather. And weather is just one of a long list of things that can leave you crying as your ship sails away without you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is so true.

For our first cruise, 8 of us booked our air through Carnival. Luckily, Montreal had direct flights to POM. We were delayed for well over an hour because there wasn't enough ground crew for the number of planes at YUL that day.

As it was, we were only set to arrive at 1:10 pm. We finally landed at 2:30 or so, and luckily, we had transfers booked with CCL as well. We made the Valor, albeit late.

There were newlyweds at baggage claim who were not so lucky - they had missd their ship :(

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

Edited by soccersharon

i glad i read your posting all the way through.. i got to the Buffalo part :eek: then read July. i would still leave the day before. I know you could high tail it to Toronto to catch another flight if the other one is cancelled.. or booked You still would need a passport to get across the boarder though.

it is not worth it to miss your cruise. back up plan c is needed

Ok I know this has been discussed all over cruise critic. Please have an open mind and tell me what you think.

Flying direct to FLL arriving at 9:30 am for a cruise out of POM. The flight starts in Buffalo. The cruise is in July. The back up plan is another flight that leaves an hour later, has a connection, and gets in to FLL at 1230 pm.

We will have our transportation from FLL to POM booked.

We could do the night before but I hate the flight times and no direct. We would spend all day traveling and get in to FLL late. We could not go earlier than the night before.

If it were winter I would not risk it. I would take the lousy flights the day before. Because it is an early am direct flight in July I am leaning toward it.

I fly in the day of for many of my cruises. Having a direct early morning flight helps. Without having to make a connection, you cut the chance of problems in half. And as you stated, having a back-up contingency plan also helps. You know the risks and the alternatives, and you have weighed your options. It sounds like you made the best choice to fit your situation. I wouldn't stress about it.

Have a great cruise.

I like knowing the odds when making a decision like this. I doubt there is any way we can know those odds for sure, but I would guess you'd have at least an 80% likelihood of making it the day of; maybe higher. 8 or 9 times out of 10 you'd be okay. Pretty good odds, but that 1 or 2 out of 10 would make me nervous. I'd feel much better if the odds were in the high 9's in my favor. My vacation starts when I leave the house for the cruise. I'd want to feel pretty certain that I wouldn't miss sail away.

I normally fly in the day of the cruise departure-I will only fly direct and the first flight of the day. I know it is a gamble, but one I am willing to take most of the time. If I can't get an early direct flight, I will fly in the day before. Another exception to this is my Allure cruise in March is so expensive I actually bought travel insurance and am flying in the day before as to be sure I make it on the ship!

We fly in one to two days early and make that part of our vacation. Yes it does add a bit to our cost but every cruise I have been on something has come along to remind us that we can't control everything.

Cruise #1- Ship detoured to three new ports (1 day before departure) due to hurricane. Talk about scrambling to learn what I could about the Bahamas! ha!

Cruise #2- We drove to port.....hurricane watch with torrential downpours on drive down.....tornados on trip down and back! Excursion to Stingray Island.....our little boat caught fire and we were stranded in ocean on way back to Cayman.

Cruise #3 Again drove to port with torrential thunderstorms due to Hurricane heading towards gulf. In Costa Maya, CCL scuba excursion....little boat sank and our party had to get rescued by Mexican fisherman. Our passports safe, but others on excursion lost theirs. Lots and lots of ship rocking and sick passengers until out of path of hurricane.

Cruise #4...part of our group had airline trouble.....mechanical delays...arrived later than desired, but still a day a head of departure.

Cruise #5 Strong, high winds while on ship...severe rocking of ship...some entertainment cancelled, outside decks closed......many sick passengers (albeit not any of our group) and crew.

You can of course do what you are comfortable with, but I try to control the parts of my vacation that I can. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

Whether driving or flying, we always arrive the day before. There are too many variables for arriving the day of. Even though you are getting in early, there can be weather delays, flight delays, mechanical issues, etc. It's too risky to get there the day of.