Equinox- 1/20/14 vs Holiday/Summer Cruise

drfun48

I know this is bound to ruffle some feathers but it is just an observation based upon contrasting 40+ Christmas/New Year's or summer cruises in relation to my most recent mid-January cruise aboard the Equinox.

First and most obvious is the age distribution.At holiday/summer there are so many more younger families with school age children as well as 20 , 30 and 40 y/o couples.

I was amazed to see how many 70+s dominated this cruise... many more than I anticipated. (BTW we are a couple in our mid 60s) There were only a few toddlers and very few 5-15 year olds.

Now for the behavior patterns which I observed.

Oldies...much slower at everything...lots of walkers and scooters.Getting in your way,slowing up everything.

Kids...at times rude ,running about,much more discourteous. Getting in your way,slowing up everything.

A slowness to comprehend simple instructions on the part of the oldies was common.

An inability to follow to follow rules on the part of the kids was common.

Elevators...seniors often got on in the wrong direction,did not know when or where to get off and frequently felt compelled to make stale jokes aloud in the elevators e.g. first floor housewares,second floor shoes, or to comment on how much weight we were all gaining.

There also was a quite evident flatulence problem with the elders.

The kids on the other hand often find the elevators to be an amusement park game.with loud obnoxious ,unsupervised behavior.

The older group was also not only more on time but very early for everything. Seats were gone in the theater 15 minutes before a show and at excursion time and outside the mdr a half hour early.

They were not nearly as competitive for outdoor and pool lounges. They did not chair hog as much,but did not remember often to remove towels and belongings from chairs so it did in fact look like they might still be being used.

Now here's one that might irritate some.

Much has been made of the horrible practice of allowing babies in diapers in pools and hot tubs.

I find this no more disconcerting than seniors who have bladder and GI issues using the same pools and tubs. Yuk!

Finally,while I find the younger group hard to take when children run rampant,are undisciplined and loud.

I find the elders many of whom have a sense of entitlement, by virtue of their age equally annoying.They also seem to have sharper elbows on buffet lines.

So there you have it . You pick your poison. Neither group is perfect and while I fully expect to get flamed by representatives of both groups,it's just the way I see it and an observation based upon my own experiences...not gonna stop me from cruising.

Edited by drfun48

I know this is bound to ruffle some feathers but it is just an observation based upon contrasting 40+ Christmas/New Year's or summer cruises in relation to my most recent mid-January cruise aboard the Equinox.

First and most obvious is the age distribution.At holiday/summer there are so many more younger families with school age children as well as 20 , 30 and 40 y/o couples.

I was amazed to see how many 70+s dominated this cruise... many more than I anticipated. (BTW we are a couple in our mid 60s) There were only a few toddlers and very few 5-15 year olds.

Oldies...much slower at everything...lots of walkers and scooters.Getting in your way,slowing up everything.

Kids...at times rude ,running about,much more discourteous. Getting in your way,slowing up everything.

A slowness to comprehend simple instructions on the part of the oldies was common.

Elevators...seniors often got on in the wrong direction,did not know when or where to get off and frequently felt compelled to make stale jokes aloud in the elevators e.g. first floor housewares,second floor shoes, or to comment on how much weight we were all gaining.

The kids on the other hand often find the elevators to be an amusement park game.with loud obnoxious ,unsupervised behavior.

The older group was also not only more on time but very early for everything. Seats were gone in the theater 15 minutes before a show and at excursion time and outside the mdr a half hour early.

They were not nearly as competitive for outdoor and pool lounges. They did not chair hog as much,but did not remember often to remove towels and belongings from chairs so it did in fact look like they might still be being used.

Much has been made of the horrible practice of allowing babies in diapers in pools and hot tubs.

I find this no more disconcerting than seniors who have bladder and GI issues using the same pools and tubs. Yuk!

Finally,while I find the younger group hard to take when children run rampant,are undisciplined and loud.

I find the elders many of whom have a sense of entitlement, by virtue of their age equally annoying.They also seem to have sharper elbows on buffet lines.

So there you have it . You pick your poison. Neither group is perfect and while I fully expect to get flamed by representatives of both groups,it's just the way I see it and an observation based upon my own experiences...not gonna stop me from cruising.

As reported in USAToday...

These cruises fall under the purview of the Center for Disease Control's (CDC) Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP), whose mission is to prevent gastrointestinal illnesses on board. The VSP conducts unannounced twice-yearly inspections of cruise ships, scrutinizing a vast checklist of sanitation standards, from food-handling safety to swimming-pool maintenance.

The VSP also provides public health information and safety requirements to cruise lines, including the ban on soggy nappies. The idea is to prevent contamination of pools, and ward off the spread of norovirus, cryptosporidium, giardia and E. coli — all of which have caused illness outbreaks after fecal accidents at public pools and water parks on terra firma.

"Many of the cruise lines have been questioned by parents who don't understand the policy," says CDC representative Bernadette Burden.

Here's the straight poop: Swim diapers are not leakproof. If properly fitted and changed regularly, swim diapers can prevent solid feces from escaping. However, they don't contain urine or diarrhea, nor do they stop seepage of infection-causing germs, leading critics to dub them "fecal tea bags."

As reported in USAToday...

These cruises fall under the purview of the Center for Disease Control's (CDC) Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP), whose mission is to prevent gastrointestinal illnesses on board. The VSP conducts unannounced twice-yearly inspections of cruise ships, scrutinizing a vast checklist of sanitation standards, from food-handling safety to swimming-pool maintenance.

The VSP also provides public health information and safety requirements to cruise lines, including the ban on soggy nappies. The idea is to prevent contamination of pools, and ward off the spread of norovirus, cryptosporidium, giardia and E. coli — all of which have caused illness outbreaks after fecal accidents at public pools and water parks on terra firma.

"Many of the cruise lines have been questioned by parents who don't understand the policy," says CDC representative Bernadette Burden.

Here's the straight poop: Swim diapers are not leakproof. If properly fitted and changed regularly, swim diapers can prevent solid feces from escaping. However, they don't contain urine or diarrhea, nor do they stop seepage of infection-causing germs, leading critics to dub them "fecal tea bags."

No need to increase risk of infection on ships,but my point is that good safe hygiene should not only be limited to children. It amazes me that adults can sit in a hot tub with a drink in hand or a swim up bar at a resort for hours and never take a bathroom break.

No need to increase risk of infection on ships,but my point is that good safe hygiene should not only be limited to children. It amazes me that adults can sit in a hot tub with a drink in hand or a swim up bar at a resort for hours and never take a bathroom break.

I did not need to know that about the swim up bar.

I've seen a dilutes and kids leave restrooms without using proper hygiene practices. I trust no one, thus why I am always careful about what I touch when on a cruise.

You must of had a great time.

on the equinox on march 14, although a 10 night cruise i am expecting there to be a somewhat younger crowd during the time of year. i have never cruised in january but i would think that time would have more elders as kids are going back to school at that time, more people going back to work after a holiday break...but i see your point of how it can slow things up :)

Hot tubs have long been scratched off my things-to-do-on-a-cruise list. :rolleyes:

Same goes for the swimming pool I fear which is a pity....I expect some odd looks at the buffet as I use the tongs, spoons etc to serve myself wearing disposable rubber gloves....:D