Wine Policy - Enforcement info, not rants please.

LoveHAL

How can you do that if they only allow 2 bottles when boarding?

So far, this is all very confusing.

When Innlady gets on Noordam, she will post. There's no internet at all on Maasdam where she is now.

You can bring all the wine on board you want - you just pay corkage on the extra at embarkation and the ports.

The wine policy changed effective January 30th (although I did not see until February). I started a thread with the wine policy on it :)

How can you do that if they only allow 2 bottles when boarding?

So far, this is all very confusing.

When Innlady gets on Noordam, she will post. There's no internet at all on Maasdam where she is now.

My understanding of the new policy is that you can bring as much wine as you like in 750 ml bottles, only the first one is free of corkage, and you pay $18 corkage on the additional bottles. This is per person, of course. They stampe the "free" one with one colour, and the corkage-charged bottles with another colour, so that corkage will not be charged again if you take it to the MDR.

Thanks. I didn't realize you could bring on as much as you want if you pay the corkage fee.

By the way, we were at the pier in New York visiting someone on Veendam a few years ago, and we went to get our car before the ship sailed. On the parking deck, they were training dogs to sniff out the luggage for drugs. It was fascinating to watch.They put some in a car and set the dog lose to find it...over and over again, in different cars. Guessing our luggage gets sniffed.

I am very happy with the new wine policy. We leave on a 14 day TA in April, was thinking it would be our last HAL Cruise. The $18 corking for extra wine works for us.

Will be able to buy some kosher wines in Ft Lauderdale before we board. Passover is during our cruise.

How does the new wine policy work with a collector voyage since each segment is actually a new cruise joined together? I guess you should be able to reset your quota allowance for each segment without paying the corkage fee.

Side note: As a 4**** mariner I can purchase the 7 bottle navigator package at a cost of $199 at 50% or $100 plus 15% service fee, or $129. This makes the 7 bottles cost $18.50 each equal to the $18 corkage fee for each xtra bottle I would bring onto the ship. So by buying the package I eliminate breakage possibilities and baggage and lock damage from the swat team.

Edited by Billthekid

>SNIP<

Side note: As a 4**** mariner I can purchase the 7 bottle navigator package at a cost of $199 at 50% or $100 plus 15% service fee, or $129. This makes the 7 bottles cost $18.50 each equal to the $18 corkage fee for each xtra bottle I would bring onto the ship.

If you are happy with the offerings in the wine package, I suppose it makes no sense for you to bring wine onboard and pay corkage. I personally don't care for the wines offered in the wine packages, even though I could save (some) money by buying one of the packages.

It will be interesting to see what happens on Collector cruises.

How does the new wine policy work with a collector voyage since each segment is actually a new cruise joined together? I guess you should be able to reset your quota allowance for each segment without paying the corkage fee.

Side note: As a 4**** mariner I can purchase the 7 bottle navigator package at a cost of $199 at 50% or $100 plus 15% service fee, or $129. This makes the 7 bottles cost $18.50 each equal to the $18 corkage fee for each xtra bottle I would bring onto the ship. So by buying the package I eliminate breakage possibilities and baggage and lock damage from the swat team.

as long as you like the wines;):D We do the Navigator/Admiral package for the MDR and drinks in the public places - but leaving port we really enjoy our 'souvenir' from the right ports. So we will happily pay the corkage:D