Cruise travel tips & secrets

We live near Vail (about 2hrs from DIA) and always stay in Denver the day before we fly out. It saves time, money and there is always the possibility we get a storm and the Vail pass will close leaving us stuck in the valley :mad: We have stayed at a couple of park & fly hotels but now we only stay at the Clarion in Aurora. They have free parking (longer than the usual 7 days most have), a free shuttle and it is pretty cheap. There is a Denny's right across the street too :p Basic hotel but does the job for the one night.

As for Disney tickets - how old are the kids? There is a program that has kids take a very fun class and then they get discounted ticket prices (YES program). The timeshare presentation will just eat away at your park/fun time.

Thanks for the advice on the Clarion. I've stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Aurora, who offers 14 day parking as well. May have to check out the Clarion for next time. We obviously don't have to worry about Vail Pass closing or any other incidents on I70, but I25 can be a mess and of course we're subject to upslope storms in the winter time.

As for Disney, kids will be 8, 10, and 1-1/2 at the time. Youngest will still be free, but not the older two. We had also thought about skipping Disney and possibly going to SeaWorld instead if they have a sale similar to the one they have going on right now ($50 per person if you go on a weekday instead of weekend-for adults and children).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi again' date=' Has anyone seen any good deals for the Panama Canal at Christmas (this year, OR next year?) Will be going solo. I can't go unless it's very near Christmas, as I need to go during a school break. Thanks![/quote']

Royal Caribbean is having a special for the month of May. For sailings in 2015, the first person is full fare but second person is 50% off. Depending on which cabin you choose, this can save you more than $1,000.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Remm1024

• 2 weeks later...
I've bought several tiny bottles and containers at Daiso (a Japanese home goods store; any large city with an Asian town will have a shop like this). Some things like moisturizer, hair pomade, makeup remover, etc you don't need very much and I decant them into the tiny 1 oz containers. Saves a lot of room. Usually at Walmart or Target the smallest they have are 3 oz. Wastes much too much space.

Also for other things such as shampoo, or whatever I need I use the samples I get from Sephora.

Last time bf and I were gone for about 2 weeks. We each had a small personal bag and we shared a small carry on bag. I still had clothes that I didn't wear.

Bring a small sample of laundry detergent and do laundry on a sea day so you don't have to bring as many clothes.

Doing laundry is a must especially on longer cruises and also when flying. Clean clothes seem to weigh less. We try to bring our own rolls of coins so no lines at the pursers desk.

I love the idea of using hotel and store samples.

What a terrific thread! Especially since I'm about to take my VERY FIRST cruise in June. I'm wondering if it is allowed to take some food from the buffet (or dinner) to my cabin for later? I know there is 24-hour room service but... when one is hungry' date=' who wants to wait for room service? And, in the middle of the night, I don't really want to bother, just for a snack. Princess did tell me that they have refrigerators in their cabins. Also.. it would be nice to be able to pack a lunch or snack for myself when out and about away from the ship.

Suggestion: I have used "Fresh Drop" and "Pure Drop" when I visit my son and daughter-in-law, so I don't leave "stinkiness" in their bathroom. It is a tiny bottle of liquid. You put a couple of drops in the toilet beforehand, then a couple more drops in after-flush. It is AMAZING! NO smell. No kidding. The "Fresh Drop," which I prefer, is only sold at Walmart, I believe. It's found hanging on strips on the front the shelves, usually in the toilet paper area, or elsewhere nearby. I found the "Pure Drops" at Target, or grocery stores.[/quote']

I can only eat small portions so I can usually eat my appetizer at dinner but then I will be hungry for my next meal in an hour or two. I have had no problem asking for and receiving the cover that goes over the plates. We eat dinner in the main dining room so my table staff are very accommodating as I tell them this the first night so they know to bring me a cover for whatever I cannot eat at that time.

If you're taking food back to you cabin on a plate, may l suggest covering the plate and food with a fresh freebie shower cap

Sandy in Spain

Sandy,

If you ask, the dining room waiters will bring you a plate cover to take your dinner with you. It's the same type of cover they use when they deliver room service. I can only eat small portions at a time so I will ask for a cover. Before I discovered I could do that I would scrape my food into a coffee cup and walk out with that. All of the dirty dishes end up in the same place so when I am done I would just sit the plates and covers outside the door for the stewards to collect them.

Thanks for the tips, Quilcruisers!

It brings up another questions (since I've never cruised before) I'm told that there are no coffee makers in the cabins. How long does it take room service to bring coffee to your cabin after you request it? Are people able to make a standing order for coffee delivery every day at 8:00 AM (or whatever time??) At home (or in hotels) I drink at least one cup within 10 minutes of waking up, before I eat anything. It's my favorite cup of the day!

Thanks to all for your shared experiences!

Thanks for the tips' date=' Quilcruisers!

It brings up another questions (since I've never cruised before) I'm told that there are no coffee makers in the cabins. How long does it take room service to bring coffee to your cabin after you request it? Are people able to make a standing order for coffee delivery every day at 8:00 AM (or whatever time??) At home (or in hotels) I drink at least one cup within 10 minutes of waking up, before I eat anything. It's my favorite cup of the day!

Thanks to all for your shared experiences![/quote']

depending on the cruise line, you probably could. From what I've seen on the royal caribbean boards there is a slip of paper you can leave on your door every night with your morning order and the time you want it delivered and it will be done, all with a courtesy phone call before they head up to your room.

Carnival also has the slip of paper for breakfast room service. They've always arrived within a couple minutes of the time requested. No phone call though, just a knock on the door. Coffee is in a carafe / pitcher with two cups and fixin's so there's enough for a couple cups each.

There is the more extensive packing list on this website; a little dated, but very relevant............... Courtesy of member CT Cruisers!

Here is a list I found on line and have used as a reference:

Ultimate Cruise Packing List

Packing for your cruise vacation can be one of the worst parts of a cruise. The only thing I can think of that I dread more is unpacking when I get home! Through the years, I have learned that a packing list is essential. Maybe it's my advancing age or just that I have learned "the hard way" by forgetting some essential item and then having to purchase it at double (or more) the price on the cruise ship or in a port of call.

One important packing tip -- If traveling with a companion or spouse, divide your checked items into two (or more) suitcases. That way, if one is lost, you will both have some clothing to wear! It would be terrible for your spouse to have all of his clothes and you to have nothing but your carry-on. Also, be sure to carry-on anything that you cannot live without for a couple of days (or more), just in case your luggage is lost or delayed.

Use the list below as a starter and modify it for your personal tastes. Some essentials and general items follow of this page, and I have a separate list for women and men.

Essentials

-airline tickets or e-ticket confirmation

-cruise documents

-passports and visas (if necessary) or proof of citizenship (check with your cruise line for requirements)

-vaccination certificate (if required)

-wallet and fanny pack

-driver's license and auto insurance card - in case you decide to rent a car when ashore

-medical insurance cards and medical history (especially if traveling alone)

-another picture ID - if you don't take driver's license

-credit cards - be sure to call credit card companies before traveling to alert them you are traveling outside your normal area ATM card

-watch

-pre-paid phone card

-cash or traveler's checks (be sure to keep traveler's checks receipt in separate location)

-3 copies of airline tickets, cruise tickets, passports/visas, itinerary - pack 1 copy in carry on, 1 copy in checked luggage, and leave one copy with someone at home

-contact numbers to report lost/stolen credit cards or traveler's checks

-emergency numbers at home

-prescription drugs and any other essential medications in carry on bag

-glasses, contacs, contac cleaner

-extra reading glasses

-sunglasses

-reading sunglasses

-guidebooks and other port of call information

-foreign language phrase book or dictionary

-maps

-reading material - books to read while on the plane or lounging by the pool

-journal or notebook and pen/pencil - for making notes to tell your friends back home about your experiences

-business cards with email address to give out to new cruise friends

-currency conversion chart

-plug adaptor and converter

-cell phone and charger

-home and email addresses of friends/relatives back home - for sending postcards, emails, or gifts

-laptop computer

-binoculars

-film camera and manual

-extra film (don't put undeveloped film in checked luggage)

-disposable underwater camera - for snorkeling or beach days

-digital camera and manual

-extra memory cards for digital camera

-batteries for digital camera

-battery charger

-extension cord with multiple plug-ins

-duct tape or strapping tape

-walkman and tapes (for walking on deck or on treadmill)

-small travel alarm clock - battery operated

-lighted dial clock for cruise ship cabin

-extra plastic cable-lock ties for securing luggage for return trip (better than locks, but one-time use only)

-extra luggage name tags (in case yours are lost on the outbound trip)

-zip loc bags of all sizes and garbage/laundry bags

-small flashlight

-night light

-corkscrew (be sure to put in checked luggage)

-Swiss Army knife or something similar with screwdriver head, etc. (be sure to put in checked luggage)

-small umbrella

-collapsible travel pillow for those long airplane flights

-ear plugs or "ear planes"

-small first aid kit (band aids, Q-tips, vaseline, dramamine, antibiotic cream, bandages, anti-diarrheal medication, cortisone

-cream, aspirin/tylenol/advil)

-Crazy glue

-playing cards

-sports gear (e.g. snorkeling gear)

-bug spray (not for your cabin on the ship, but for those pesky mosquitoes and "nonos" ashore)

-sun screen/sun block and lip sunblock

-germicidal hand cleaner

-handi-wipes

-hand lotion

-rubbing alcohol or foot lotion for soothing tired, hot feet

-sewing kit and scissors (pack in checked luggage)

-travel-sized Woolite

-clothes pins

-empty folding tote bag - for souvenirs or the beach

-hats/caps/visors

-insulated large coffee mugs

Women's Cruise Clothing Packing List

-bras (include strapless if needed for evening wear)

-panties

-lingerie/night gown/pajamas/robe

-compression stockings (for airplane flight to prevent swollen ankles)

-exercise/walking socks

-trouser socks or pantyhose

-camisole/slip

-purses (day and evening)

-belts

-scarves

-gloves and stocking cap(if expect cold weather)

-walking shoes

-walking sandals

-rubber sandals for reef walking and beach

-evening shoes

-costume jewelry and extra watch

-swim suit

-swim suit cover-up/pareo/sarong

-thongs/flip flop shoes

-work out clothes and jog bra

-dress/outfit for informal nights on ship

-dress/outfit for formal nights on ship

-dress/outfit for casual nights on ship

-shorts

-tops of all types (sleeveless, short-sleeved, long-sleeved)

-capri pants

-slacks

-windbreaker jacket

-sweatshirt

-evening sweater

-raincoat with hood

-Women's Sundries and Miscellaneous

-blow dryer

-curling iron or curlers

-comb/brush

-hair gel

-hair spray (non-aerosol)

-shampoo

-conditioner

-shower cap

-bar soap in plastic container

-deodorant

-toothbrush

-toothpaste

-dental floss

-mouthwash

-tweezers

-make-up mirror

-make-up and make-up bag(list can be endless!)

-make-up remover

-cleanser

-moisturizer and freshener

-nail polish and remover

-nail clippers and file (be sure to pack in checked luggage)

-razor and shaving cream

Men's Cruise Clothing Packing List

-underwear (briefs or boxer shorts)

-undershirts

-pajamas and robe

-compression socks (for airplane flight to prevent swollen ankles)

-exercise/walking socks

-black dress socks

-belts

-gloves and stocking cap(if expect cold weather)

-walking shoes

-walking sandals

-rubber sandals/shoes for reef walking and beach

-evening or dress shoes

-"docksider" casual shoes

-tuxedo jacket and pants (or dark suit)

-tuxedo tie, suspenders, and cummerbund

-tuxedo cufflinks/studs

-sport jacket

-regular ties

-tuxedo shirt

-dress shirts

-swim suit

-swim suit cover-up

-work out clothes/T shirts

-shorts

-casual shirts

-slacks (casual and dress)

-windbreaker jacket

-sweatshirt

-raincoat with hood

-Men's Sundries and Miscellaneous

-comb/brush

-shampoo and hair products

-bar soap in plastic container

-deodorant

-toothbrush

-toothpaste

-dental floss

-mouthwash

-tweezers

-nail clippers and file (be sure to pack in checked luggage)

-razor and shaving cream (or electric razor and supplies)

Leaving Home Checklist

To ensure peace of mind while you are away, why not run over this last-minute checklist of things to do before you go?

> Have the post office hold your mail.

> Stop your newspaper delivery, or have a friend or neighbor take them in for you.

> Leave copies of your passport, airline tickets, travelers checks and any credit cards you plan to use with a family member or trusted friend.

> Distribute your ship communications cards to friends and relatives.

> Place a card with your name and address inside your luggage, as well as on the outside.

> Bring your travel and health insurance information and have it handy at all times.

> Verify that your identification and travel tickets are in your carry-on bag and will be available at all times.

More Packing Tips For Cruises

• Never pack anything in your luggage you couldn't stand losing forever.

• Tape your name, address, phone and cell numbers inside your luggage.

• Always carry your cruise and airline documents on you and not in your luggage or carry-on bag.

• Stuff a small collapsible light weight bag or two into your suitcase. At the end of your cruise, use the bag for your laundry or those souvenirs' you bought.

• Before your go, take a picture of your luggage inside and out. This will make them easier to identify your belongings if they are lost.

• Always ask your cruise agent about any specific clothing needs for your particular ship. Some ships have special requirements that may affect your packing plan.

• Although you can purchase many items on ship or in cruise ports, you will often pay a heavy premium, and may not find exactly what you need. For example, film for your camera will cost significantly more once you leave home and you may not find the size or speed you require.

• Try to pack clothing that is re-usable on the cruise. For example, a men's blazer may be used on a formal night if packaged with the proper shirt & tie. The same blazer can be used with an open-neck shirt or a less-formal shirt and tie for an informal night. A formal skirt can be mixed with different blouses and/or jackets for varying effects.

• Formal nights are not necessarily extremely formal. Some passengers, who enjoy dressing up, will go all out with tuxedo's, long gowns, etc. On most seven-night cruises, this is not necessary. The majority of men wear a suit or blazer with white shirt and conservative tie on formal nights. Many women wear cocktail dresses, fancy dresses, or suits. It’s like getting dressed for a nice wedding.

• Many ships have self-serve laundry and ironing facilities in addition to the available washing and/or dry cleaning. Sometimes it makes sense to do a load or two during the cruise rather than pack enough of everything for your entire trip.

• It's quite possible to avoid getting dressed up during a cruise. How? Simply plan to eat your evening meal in the Lido restaurant during formal nights, or have room service that night. You can even have a snack and a nap at dinnertime, and enjoy the midnight buffet in casual attire. If you're interested in a totally casual cruise, ask your cruise agent how the line you've chosen handles casual evening meals. By the way, Lobster tails are commonly served on one of the formal nights. If that's important to you, ask your waiter which night the lobster will be served.

• If you choose to travel with expensive jewelry, use the purser's safe when you're not wearing it. Although room safes are available on many ships, only valuables locked up in the purser's safe are covered under the ship's insurance (check you cruise contract, usually supplied with your cruise documents). Frankly, we'd recommend leaving your very expensive and/or priceless jewelry at home, or in your bank's safe deposit box.

• If you're planning to buy t-shirts, hats, etc. on the ship or ports of call, why not wear them on your cruise? You'll cut down on the amount of clothing you'll bring, and you won’t need to plan for extra space on your trip home. If you under-packed (unlikely), you can purchase additional clothing during the cruise.

• In the tropics, use light cotton clothing as often as possible. You'll be cooler and more comfortable.

• Plan your carry-on load carefully. A larger carry-on bag (within airline carry-on requirements) is useful so that you can comfortably carry a change of clothing. Keep your carry-on bag safe when you're in the airport; never leave it unattended.

• Carry all documents, medicines, essentials, and valuables with you in your carry-on. If your main article of luggage is lost or misplaced, can you exist with what you're carrying?

• Do not plan to find space for a garment bag on an aircraft. Better to carefully pack your clothing in a suitcase than to jam it into an overhead compartment.

• Instead of bringing full-size toiletries, like a full bottle of shampoo, save or purchase smaller plastic bottles and bring only what you need. Try sealing plastic bottles in zip-lock bags for added protection.

• Zip-lock baggies, preferably the thicker freezer-type, are great for keeping things dry, especially when you go to the beach. You can stuff your credit cards, driver’s licenses, cash, etc. in them and keep them safe inside your bathing suit. We recommend double-bagging them and you won’t have any problems with leakage.

• There are several reasons to bring your cell telephone with you on the cruise: 1) If you run into delays, you can call your cruise agent, airline, limo service, etc. without standing in line for a telephone; 2) You can use your telephone on the ship before it departs, and while it is still close to land; 3) You can make calls on the day you return. A cell phone is great for calling a cab or a ride from home, or making arrangements with friends who are already ashore; 4) Many ports have cellular service so that you can make calls directly without finding a phone booth. Cellular rates are usually much less than the ship's satellite rates. Some common cruising areas have surprisingly good coverage (The Bahamas, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Grand Cayman, to name a few), and if you have free roaming as a part of your service, the call might even be free; 5) You never know how a cell phone will help you in transit should an emergency arise. It gives someone else the ability to call you, which is sometimes invaluable.

• Since many ships are installing e-mail and internet capabilities, you may wish to bring along a list of important e-mail addresses and web site URL's. Although this can get expensive, you might find it worthwhile, particularly if you keep close track of an investment portfolio or have important e-mail messages.

• If you really depend on a hair dryer, plan to bring your own. Even if the ship provides them, you may not find them to be powerful enough to handle your needs, particularly if you have long or heavy hair.

• A pair of personal communications devices (as kids, we used to call these walkie-talkies) is useful in keeping track of your traveling companions on the ship. As ships become larger, it becomes more difficult to keep track of one another. This is a perfect tool for young teenagers (check your batterysupply!). Some ships even offer them for rent during the cruise.

• A few emergency items are useful, particularly the flash light. It's nice to know that you have an extra light for your room, and it could come in very handy should your ship develop some temporary generator malfunctions. You’ll also want to take a nightlight if you’re staying in an inside cabin.

• For Alaska and Northern Europe: Replace shorts, t-shirts, and short-sleeve shirts with warmer counterparts. Although you may wish to have one set of warm-weather clothing for afternoon wear on a warm day, you'll be more comfortable with warmer clothing.

• For Alaska: You can dress down just a bit. Jeans are acceptable/desirable for daytime wear. Bring rain wear, waterproof footwear, wool socks, a warm sweater, a wind-proof shell, warm gloves, and a stocking cap. Although you may not NEED this much if the weather is warmer, cold (low 50's), windy and rainy weather is not uncommon along the coast of Alaska.

• For Northern Europe: Temperatures can be cool during the summer, particularly in the evenings. Baltic cruises tend to be dressier. A warm sweater and gloves might be useful, particularly in late August. Absolutely bring an umbrella!

• For the Mediterranean: Summer temperatures are similar to the Caribbean. Spring/Fall are cooler and more formal. Winter Cruises in the Med can be very cool, although snow/ice are not likely.

• For Bermuda: Weather is beautiful from May through October, although cruising to/from New York or Boston can be quite cool in early and late seasons. Bermuda is in the Gulf Stream, while New York and Boston aren't, so be prepared for a change in weather!

• Most cruise lines do not permit you to carry alcohol on board due to customs regulations.

Thanks for the advice on the Clarion. I've stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Aurora, who offers 14 day parking as well. May have to check out the Clarion for next time. We obviously don't have to worry about Vail Pass closing or any other incidents on I70, but I25 can be a mess and of course we're subject to upslope storms in the winter time.

As for Disney, kids will be 8, 10, and 1-1/2 at the time. Youngest will still be free, but not the older two. We had also thought about skipping Disney and possibly going to SeaWorld instead if they have a sale similar to the one they have going on right now ($50 per person if you go on a weekday instead of weekend-for adults and children).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner! When are you going on to WDW? If you are going late Sept or in Oct. you could buy a Halloween party ticket and see Magic Kingdom that way. The tickets are much cheaper than a regular tix. You go into the park after 4PM but the park is only for ppl who bought the party tickets so the lines are much shorter. There are fireworks and a special parade - not to mention that there is free candy everywhere!

The tickets for MK are now more expensive than the other parks, you could save a little by going to Epcot or Animal Kingdom.

Hi Karen, we use Park'n Go - if you pre-pay it's $53.87 for the week. Our driver was very nice last time, he had worked on the Oasis and Allure in construction and told us some interesting stories.

Hope this helps.

We have used park and go 3 times in the last 6 weeks, and they are awesome! Just got back from a trip yesterday, and will be posting pictures on my blog.....stop by and take a look for more tips!

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/

Edited by nursemom2

• 2 weeks later...
I truly appreciate your list...but do want to point out that many tips may or may not be necessary. But I think it is always good to have many points of view--I know I have picked up many tips fro these boards due to people like you & me who are willing to put tips out there!

22.) A household extension cord lets you charge a few cell phones and laptops at once. Power strips are bulky and banned from cruise ships.

Have never needed to charge everything at once. We just charge a couple at a time.

This is a must if you use those 'brick' style chargers for camera batteries, etc. In the junior suites on Oasis, most of mine won't even plug in since they are all the way down to the countertop. And depending on how your prongs are oriented, you are taking a chance. Tight fit to say the least. At least a small extension cord would extend the outlet away from the wall to where you can use it. Is top on my list for next cruise-assuming they are allowed. Will pack one in each bag hoping they miss one if they are banned.

Great list! I second the baggies... gal and sandwich size. Read that tip here a few yrs ago and ended up giving them to others in the group.

We usually bring a bag of fun size candy bars to share among the group.

I never go anywhere without ziploc bags (Gallon/Quart). I use the freezer bags since they are thicker. Even on a local weekend trip. I always end up needing one for something. Saving those donuts for later, you know.

Other tips I've used over the years:

-Highlighter for marking the cruise compass.

-Pack your tux/dress in one of those Ziploc XL bags and leave a little air in it. Keeps the wrinkles down a lot. Hang it up if at a hotel pre-crsuie-worth the effort. Never had to iron.

-Take a hat and a small clip on sunscreen bottle.

-Always fly in the day before, unless you live local. International-2days. (jet lag)

1. There's an ap for your cell phone called 'flashlight' -you can download and use it.

2. There's a suggestion on these boards to take a picture of your passport and other documents from your cell phone and email it to yourself and to a family member should anything happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to print a sheet of address labels for the people that I'll be sending postcards to. That way I leave the address book at home. It's not so much a money-saver as it is a space-saver.

One thing we used a lot of was the 3m Command Adhesive hooks. We had a few next to the door for our lanyards and Mom's cane.

Also the suction cup hooks are good in the shower for hanging wash cloths, etc.

I always bring an insulated cold drink mug, great to fill with ice and then a drink of lemonade...

I bring my favorite cough drops if I will be out of the country.. When I get sick and an irritated cough....it's the only ones that will keep me from coughing incessantly...

Princess cruises tend to have a 10$ shop or sale..love to get a new brightly colored watch with second hand for work (doubling as a souveneir).

I love a magnetic clip for attaching the daily newsletter to the wall, or if I buy an 8x10 photo.

Since I tend to buy one photo and they put it in flimsy folder, I pack an 8x10 pice of cardboard, so it can get anywhere and stay safe!

I do bring zip-locks, comes in handy at odd times.

Bringing my own mask and snorkel, crushable sun hat.

A small bungee cord or clothespins are good for securing anything you put out to dry on the balcony.

I'm trying to pare down what I bring, so I can pack in a carryon for my next cruise as it is only 7 days....I'll see how that goes.

The wine, sunscreen, and aloe will go in my husbands checked luggage.

Regarding sunscreen, always best to bring plenty of your own....not only is it expensive....but if you have to switch brands, you could have an unpleasant reaction...

Bernadette

• 2 weeks later...
don't get your formalwear dry cleaned until you get on the ship - no worries about wrinkled dress clothes - the room steward returns it to you in perfect shape for the first formal night

Totally agree and good price also

Greg

Get up the ladder in princess and get it free

Sent from my iPhone using Forums