Cruise travel tips & secrets

• 3 weeks later...
I have made a list of some tips for cruise travel. Please feel free to add your cruising "secrets" to my list!

Cruise & travel tips

1.) Invest in hard side luggage to avoid bed bugs. It only takes one infested soft luggage to affect everyone else's luggage on a plane, train, ship etc.

2.) Pill boxes make excellent jewelry holders for traveling.

3.) Buy a cheap (dollar store, walmart) over the door shoe holder with clear pockets. Can hold sunscreen, glasses, hair brush, make up, sprays, hair gel, toothbrush, toothpaste and many other toiletries. Now you can have everything organized on the door and it doesnt take up your drawer and counter space. Works wonders in tiny cruise ship bathrooms!

4.) A travel wallet/organizer keeps all of your important documents together. That way your not constantly digging around for your plane tickets, passports etc.

5.) Bring a travel alarm clock. Cruise staterooms do not have them.

6.) I always travel with Lysol wipes. Airplane/train seats are filthy!

7.) Cruise ship stateroom doors are metal and can hold magnets. Just ask anyone that I have cruised with what I put on their door!!

8.) Bring 50% more money and 50% less clothes than you think you need.

9.) Dress for formal nights! It takes just as much effort to put on tux pants as it does to put on jeans. And where else are you going to wear fancy clothes?

10.) Travel with your teddy bear! It makes a great pillow on the plane and also quiets noisy children! (True story!)

11.) Always bring air freshner. Lysol doubles as a disinfectant.

12.) Pack or bring a backpack. It's lightweight and holds a lot. Can be used as a beach bag or a quick carry on if your luggage is over weight.

13.) Get change (small bills) prior to your vacation. You'll be glad you did when you go to a vending machine and when you need to tip the luggage handlers.

14.) Pack medicines, bathing suit and a change of clothes in your carry on.

15.) Two words - Duck tape! Can temporarily fix anything from luggage to hemming a pair of trousers! Makes a great lint "brush" too! My husband wraps duct tape around the travel hairspray bottle so we have some if we need, without packing a big roll of it.

16.) Do not forget your phone/laptop

charger.

17.) The buffet is very crowded on the first day of a cruise. There are other options for dining - do your research prior to boarding!

18.) Make a copy of your passport and e-mail it to yourself. You can access it from any computer or smartphone if it gets lost.

19.) Put a copy of your name, cell phone number and e-mail address INSIDE your luggage, as well as on your luggage tags.

20.) Always pack a "medicine cabinet." Gift shops are not open 24 hours.

21.) Walkie-talkies are a great way to keep in touch with the kids when they want to venture out on their own.

22.) A household extension cord lets you charge a few cell phones and laptops at once. Power strips are bulky and banned from cruise ships.

23.) Gold bond powder is a must if your doing a beach vacation.

24.) Downey Wrinkle Release works wonders! Especially on cruises where travel irons are banned.

25.) Be sure to use a Travel Agent for their expertise cruising knowledge, customer service, same point of contact after booking and to look into special promotions.

26.) post it and pen to leave notes for your room stewardess.

27.) highlighter to highlight the activities you want to do on the ship.

I have a few that aren't on this list yet:

1. Sham-wows - great for drying off after a dip in the water but lets you keep your towel from getting soaking wet. We also roll our bathing suits in them after we rinse them out - they dry very quickly this way.

2. Contact lens cases - when I get a new case the old one goes in the travel drawer. They are great for a few pills or small pairs of earrings. Also handy for keeping your toiletries under control if you are trying to fly with only carry-ons - I put hair styling products and facial lotions in them - the wells are usually large enough to hold several days' supply.

3. "use it one more time" - when I have a toothbrush or disposable razor that is just about ready to throw out I toss it in the travel drawer. Then I can use those for trips and toss them at the end.

I agree with the contact lens case. I use them for my makeup. Each side will hold shadow, base, primer, lip gloss, hair powder, blush. etc. I used about 6 of them and got my make up bag down to under 8 oz this way. Had to because I'm flying to the cruise for the first time. I bought a pack of 6 (12) at the drug store for under 3.

My wife and I try to keep very organized in these small cabins. I buy the removable hooks by 3m. they are great in the room. Put the hooks up for hats, bathing suits, shorts etc... at the end of trip just remove them.

Also some nuts or M&Ms for the room.

• 2 weeks later...
I have made a list of some tips for cruise travel. Please feel free to add your cruising "secrets" to my list!

Cruise & travel tips

1.) Invest in hard side luggage to avoid bed bugs. It only takes one infested soft luggage to affect everyone else's luggage on a plane, train, ship etc.

2.) Pill boxes make excellent jewelry holders for traveling.

3.) Buy a cheap (dollar store, walmart) over the door shoe holder with clear pockets. Can hold sunscreen, glasses, hair brush, make up, sprays, hair gel, toothbrush, toothpaste and many other toiletries. Now you can have everything organized on the door and it doesnt take up your drawer and counter space. Works wonders in tiny cruise ship bathrooms!

4.) A travel wallet/organizer keeps all of your important documents together. That way your not constantly digging around for your plane tickets, passports etc.

5.) Bring a travel alarm clock. Cruise staterooms do not have them.

6.) I always travel with Lysol wipes. Airplane/train seats are filthy!

7.) Cruise ship stateroom doors are metal and can hold magnets. Just ask anyone that I have cruised with what I put on their door!!

8.) Bring 50% more money and 50% less clothes than you think you need.

9.) Dress for formal nights! It takes just as much effort to put on tux pants as it does to put on jeans. And where else are you going to wear fancy clothes?

10.) Travel with your teddy bear! It makes a great pillow on the plane and also quiets noisy children! (True story!)

11.) Always bring air freshner. Lysol doubles as a disinfectant.

12.) Pack or bring a backpack. It's lightweight and holds a lot. Can be used as a beach bag or a quick carry on if your luggage is over weight.

13.) Get change (small bills) prior to your vacation. You'll be glad you did when you go to a vending machine and when you need to tip the luggage handlers.

14.) Pack medicines, bathing suit and a change of clothes in your carry on.

15.) Two words - Duck tape! Can temporarily fix anything from luggage to hemming a pair of trousers! Makes a great lint "brush" too! My husband wraps duct tape around the travel hairspray bottle so we have some if we need, without packing a big roll of it.

16.) Do not forget your phone/laptop

charger.

17.) The buffet is very crowded on the first day of a cruise. There are other options for dining - do your research prior to boarding!

18.) Make a copy of your passport and e-mail it to yourself. You can access it from any computer or smartphone if it gets lost.

19.) Put a copy of your name, cell phone number and e-mail address INSIDE your luggage, as well as on your luggage tags.

20.) Always pack a "medicine cabinet." Gift shops are not open 24 hours.

21.) Walkie-talkies are a great way to keep in touch with the kids when they want to venture out on their own.

22.) A household extension cord lets you charge a few cell phones and laptops at once. Power strips are bulky and banned from cruise ships.

23.) Gold bond powder is a must if your doing a beach vacation.

24.) Downey Wrinkle Release works wonders! Especially on cruises where travel irons are banned.

25.) Be sure to use a Travel Agent for their expertise cruising knowledge, customer service, same point of contact after booking and to look into special promotions.

Just confirmed this. I thought it sounded strange. I have taken power strips in the past and will be taking one on board in a few weeks. From the Carnival website:

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devises are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Source: http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=luggage+restrictions#q-544510

I have found, the less I pack the better. Besides things that can't be bought once you leave, like Rx meds, leave all the extra stuff at home. Really think about how many times you have used each item the last few times you have travelled. Like yes, I do bring a power strip, and a Sharpie, and a highlighter but each time I bring less and less. Remember, you can always buy things on board if you need them. Chances are you won't need to buy much. Relax and don't try to bring everything for every case scenario. On a recent girls cruise, my friends's first cruise, she followed one of the lists but out there by expert cruisers and her bag was 56 pounds! For a 4 day cruise. My goodness, this girl even brought duck tape! She didn't need any of the extra stuff. Too much packing stress. Just plan in your budget an extra $20 for things you may or may not need to buy. I guarantee you will be much happier with less stuff. Just my opinion for those newbies who are stressing out from packing. :-) Relax and have fun, you are going on a cruise!

Plug strip

Extension cord

Wrinkle release ( Dollar General brand works great and it's cheaper.)

A clock or phone for alarm

A few must for cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't buy a wrinkle release product, your paying for water and smell nice. . SAVE YOUR MONEY ! Pack a regular spray bottle, when in room... Add water and spray your items wrinkles ... and watch the wrinkles go away. First item in our suit case !

What a terrific thread! Especially since I'm about to take my VERY FIRST cruise in June. I'm wondering if it is allowed to take some food from the buffet (or dinner) to my cabin for later? I know there is 24-hour room service but... when one is hungry' date=' who wants to wait for room service? And, in the middle of the night, I don't really want to bother, just for a snack. Princess did tell me that they have refrigerators in their cabins..[/quote']Yes, you can take food from the buffet, but I don't think you're actually going to be hungry: Not if you eat a big breakfast, a lunch that includes appetizer-entrée-dessert, a dinner that includes appetizer-bread-entrée-desert.

You're probably going to have a cooler, not a refrigerator in your room. This is one of those things that can plug into your car's cigarette lighter. It can keep already-cold things cool, but it will not really bring room temperature items down to cold. It would NOT be safe to store meats for any length of time, nor would you have a way to warm things. It might be reasonable to eat dinner, then bring your dessert back to enjoy on your balcony later.

Don't discount room service's speed, and if you want something later, it would only take you minutes to walk and pick it up for yourself.

It is against local laws to take unprepackaged food ashore. There are loads of discussions here on CC about that topic.
Yes, you could face fines if caught. The place you're most likely to be caught and fined, however, is upon return to the US. You should not bring ANYTHING back into the US. The risk is completely not worth it.
Just plan in your budget an extra $20 for things you may or may not need to buy. I guarantee you will be much happier with less stuff. Just my opinion for those newbies who are stressing out from packing. :-) Relax and have fun, you are going on a cruise!
Excellent advice. As I've grown older, I find that I pack less and less -- and it's so much easier.

I've bought several tiny bottles and containers at Daiso (a Japanese home goods store; any large city with an Asian town will have a shop like this). Some things like moisturizer, hair pomade, makeup remover, etc you don't need very much and I decant them into the tiny 1 oz containers. Saves a lot of room. Usually at Walmart or Target the smallest they have are 3 oz. Wastes much too much space.

Also for other things such as shampoo, or whatever I need I use the samples I get from Sephora.

Last time bf and I were gone for about 2 weeks. We each had a small personal bag and we shared a small carry on bag. I still had clothes that I didn't wear.

Bring a small sample of laundry detergent and do laundry on a sea day so you don't have to bring as many clothes.

Doing laundry on a sea day only works if there is a self serve laundry. Not every line has this but I know that Carnival does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Draka1

You're probably going to have a cooler, not a refrigerator in your room. This is one of those things that can plug into your car's cigarette lighter. It can keep already-cold things cool, but it will not really bring room temperature items down to cold. It would NOT be safe to store meats for any length of time, nor would you have a way to warm things. It might be reasonable to eat dinner, then bring your dessert back to enjoy on your balcony later..

Several of the Celebrity ships we've been on recently have has refrigerators in their cabins. They are actual refrigerators. Kinda nice to keep a few extra bottles of wine cold, or some bedtime milk handy and COLD.

Bring a small sample of laundry detergent and do laundry on a sea day so you don't have to bring as many clothes.

Check with the cruise line first. They may not have a self-service laundry. If they do have one, they more than likely have a washer that self-dispenses their own soap. Cruise lines have to use a particular detergent due to environmental regulations.

Doing laundry on a sea day only works if there is a self serve laundry. Not every line has this but I know that Carnival does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Princess does as well. Even one lines that don't, you can do some light washing in the sink.

Check with the cruise line first. They may not have a self-service laundry. If they do have one, they more than likely have a washer that self-dispenses their own soap. Cruise lines have to use a particular detergent due to environmental regulations.

When I sailed on Princess, they had dispensers selling all the regular known brands. The wash water doesn't go straight out to the ocean. They process it first. Just like flushing water from the toilets.

Edited by whataboutport

When I sailed on Princess, they had dispensers selling all the regular known brands. The wash water doesn't go straight out to the ocean. They process it first. Just like flushing water from the toilets.

We brought a little box of 3-in-1 Purex sheets to do laundry on Princess - very convenient!

81qrr9Yr6DL._SY355_.jpg.f8f2330ac32be55a58ddcaa4d7f78c89.jpg

You can bring packaged food off but no fruits or veggies. I have never had a problem bringing food back on board nut most of the time it is packaged anyway.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

I've carried fruit off the ship several time without a problem. There is not a way they can tell what you are carrying off.

At the several Spanish ports we recently visited I saw no dogs or even inspections.

Well they are used to detect odours but usually in more exotic locations i.e. Australia, New Zealand , Island locations as any "funny" bush foods are a delicacy in some communities. Also any disease can be carried onto clean lands by insects and cause havoc to crops. Australia were very hot on this and we were warned on the ship not to take any foodstuffs off the ship as there would be bag searches and sniffer dogs on quay side ( and there was ! )

Well they are used to detect odours but usually in more exotic locations i.e. Australia, New Zealand , Island locations as any "funny" bush foods are a delicacy in some communities. Also any disease can be carried onto clean lands by insects and cause havoc to crops. Australia were very hot on this and we were warned on the ship not to take any foodstuffs off the ship as there would be bag searches and sniffer dogs on quay side ( and there was ! )

Good to know. We'll be in the South Pacific next year. Thanks.

For those of you who worry about packing to much.....I posted packing tips on my family travel blog...

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/2013/11/how-do-you-fit-everything-into-one.html

Feel free to peruse thru...:)

Enjoyed reading your blog. I pretty much pack the same way you do. Everything is easy-care and mix and match. For daytime, all tops go with all bottoms. One pair each of walking shoes, casual sandals (Some times sneak in an extra pair of sandals or flip flops), evening sandals or sling backs, and, pool/beach shoes. I usually wear the same thing to disembark that I wore at embarkation, and repeat items during the cruise. If there is more than one elegant night, I usually take one black dress and change up jewelry and wraps.

Yes, you can take food from the buffet, but I don't think you're actually going to be hungry: Not if you eat a big breakfast, a lunch that includes appetizer-entrée-dessert, a dinner that includes appetizer-bread-entrée-desert.

You're probably going to have a cooler, not a refrigerator in your room. This is one of those things that can plug into your car's cigarette lighter. It can keep already-cold things cool, but it will not really bring room temperature items down to cold. It would NOT be safe to store meats for any length of time, nor would you have a way to warm things. It might be reasonable to eat dinner, then bring your dessert back to enjoy on your balcony later.

Don't discount room service's speed, and if you want something later, it would only take you minutes to walk and pick it up for yourself. Yes, you could face fines if caught. The place you're most likely to be caught and fined, however, is upon return to the US. You should not bring ANYTHING back into the US. The risk is completely not worth it.

Excellent advice. As I've grown older, I find that I pack less and less -- and it's so much easier.

Agreed. The more cruises I take, the less I am concerned with what others think about what I am wearing.

I thought you could take food off the ship, just can't bring food back on the ship... no?

Extremely RIGID rules on food being brought into a country. When you leave the ship you enter a country! Doesn't matter if USA (if you went anywhere) --still entering the country from "foreign territory". Punishments up to and including jail! Immediate fines (up to thousands of dollars) and court fees. (happened in New Zealand). The rules are well stated. Prepackaged, unopened commercial packages are allowed some places but why take the chance -- read the rules (in the daily cruise paper) and follow them! Usually they will ask you if you have food/not allowed items. When you answer that is a legal statement!. Then they check -- stand in a line and a friendly little dog smells the area (and you:D). Sometimes x-ray. Sometimes a puff machine that can tell chemicals and odors. I have seen armed guards with the dogs (Chile -- scared me to death -- guy next to me was carrying an apple and did not throw it out. A crew member taking a present to a girl -- got taken away from area and his friends said he will loose his job and not get transportation home. Passengers too can be left behind if they are under the "care of the local authorities". The rules have gotten stricter and the local officials take it very seriously. So should you.

All countries are concerned with the spread of insects and pests that can sicken people or cause their agricultural interests problems. Pests hitchhike and there is nothing that can help the situation except to have ALL follow the rules. Do not believe you are special and will not be bothered -- you will be. You will be checked more than once.

The time I was most bothered was when I had a bottle of soda confiscated at the door of the airplane when I had just bought the bottle at the shop next to the gate. 3 checks at that airport and 2 more coming back into the USA airport. Travel is not very simple these days. Keep your cool and follow the rules and you will do well. Try to sneak food or other things in -- I bet you will get caught and not even see it coming:eek:

• Like 1