Vancouver to Seattle?

MaryL31

I am thoroughly confused...help! The flight from Seattle to home (Newark) is at 4pm. Is it even possible to get off the ship in Vancouver and make the 4pm flight, and what is the best way? Seems like it should be possible, but I have read of delays at the border crossing, and am now concerned that I will be cutting it close, whatever method of transportation I choose (rental and bus seem to be the only option-not sure train exists). Much thanks for any help-

It looks like QuickShuttle/QuickCoach might have a couple of bus runs that arrive at SEATAC at around 1:30 and 2:30 respectively. Those might work, especially the earlier one.

Another option would be to fly from YVR to SEATAC (say, on Alaska/Horizon). It can be a little pricey for such a short flight, but if it gets you there in timely fashion, and you're already within the security envelope, it might be the way to go.

Thank you...I was aware of the QuickShuttle, but could not seem to get a price or schedule on their website. Finally called; the schedule for September will not be out until March.

Unless they change the schedule - which seems unlikely based on prior years - you can just scroll down this page and look at the 'Summer' schedule. The exact date it kicks in might vary from past years, but basically 'Summer' for Quickshuttle adds a pickup at the pier - so there will always be a tight link between their schedule dates and 'cruise season' (i.e. it's usually early May through the end of September).

Worst case if your cruise is right at the bitter end of the season, the 'Winter' 9:30am departure from outside the Holiday Inn on Howe St is very easy to get to from the pier on time. Scheduled ETA at SEATAC of 14:10 is within the requirements for a domestic check-in leaving at 4pm.

Again, thanks. Unfortunately, we will be cutting it very close, as I checked and the flight is actually at 3:15pm. But the girl I spoke to said cruise passengers generally do not have a problem being off the ship and onto the shuttle by 9:00 am. I feel like it is a bit of a gamble...not sure what to do. I could book the next flight, which is something like 10pm. Ughh....decisions, decisions...

Personally I'm in the camp of 'always fly in day before and out day after' so any advice is coloured by that...

I believe you said elsewhere that it was the NCL Sun southbound, arriving Vancouver Sep 15th (Monday). That should be OK for border traffic - kids back at school, only one cruise ship in town, so the shuttles will *probably* run quite accurately to schedule.

But Seattle traffic can be a living nightmare and the shuttle route has to use both highways and city streets to hit the 'downtown' and cruise pier dropoffs before Seatac; border delays can be statistically guesstimated very well in the long term but any given hour can be much better or worse than normal.

In short with only an hour of padding in the shuttle schedule for a 3:15pm flight I would simply never risk it if there were any other flight options.

If you get lucky there will be enough people booked straight to Seatac that they fill a whole bus - therefore no other stops and an early arrival - but the cons outweigh the pros IMO.

Also, your airline may move up the flight departure between now and then and remove any chance of making it - another poster within the last few days had exactly this happen to them...

There are departures from YVR c. 12-1pm that would get you to Newark before midnight same day, but cost is showing approx. $400pp; basically double the c.$200 fare direct from SEA.

Or you could Quickshuttle to Bellingham for the 1:10pm Alaska flight via SEA to EWR, arriving 11:15pm for $266pp (plus shuttle of $28pp to BLI) - the Cruise pier 9am shuttle is scheduled to get to BLI at 11am, so even with an *extra* hour at the border you could easily make this flight... no Seattle traffic to worry about and a small airport so security lines are also much more pleasant...

Thanks again for the help...lots to weigh out. Was hoping to use Award points for my flight and pay for DH's...but that may not work (United). Could just simply fly out of Vancouver, but it is more expensive and, unless things have gotten better since 2004, that airport was a nightmare! We are probably better off to just take our time to Seattle and fly the following day...

We are probably better off to just take our time to Seattle and fly the following day...

That's what we decided to do. We are cruising on the Sun in June to VAN and will rent a car and drive to Seattle and fly the next morning. Helps that the Red Sox are playing in Seattle that night :D

If your flight is at 3:15pm, you need to be at the airport by 1:15pm. On weekends, Seatac is VERY busy, especially during cruise season when several thousand descend on the airport.

Besides Quick Coach there is Bolt Bus, Amtrak train, Amtrak bus, cruiseline transfer, or fly ( Alaska/Horizon). But be very mindful of the depot location at each end as it may require extra time .

Or consider a rental car .... if you can get an 8am reservation you could be on the road by 8:30. With great luck you could be at Seatac by 12:30 to drop off the car.

Certainly not within my comfort zone.

That's what we decided to do. We are cruising on the Sun in June to VAN and will rent a car and drive to Seattle and fly the next morning. Helps that the Red Sox are playing in Seattle that night :D

You'll enjoy that--but better buy your ticket ahead of time. There are always a LOT of Red Sox fans at those games!

Thanks again for the help...lots to weigh out. Was hoping to use Award points for my flight and pay for DH's...but that may not work (United). Could just simply fly out of Vancouver, but it is more expensive and, unless things have gotten better since 2004, that airport was a nightmare! We are probably better off to just take our time to Seattle and fly the following day...

If you are using United points, you should see what is available from Vancouver, since I believe it is the same number of points required to fly to New York from either Seattle or Vancouver. The charges for taxes and fees will be higher, (mostly customs, immigration, agriculture etc.)

Since United and Air Canada are both part of Star Alliance, any points booking can use a combination of the two airlines.

em-sk...Thanks for the suggestion...it almost worked! There is a flight at 4:15pm, which might have been possible (on a Monday), but the airfare will still be $430 for DH. My miles will expire in January 2015, so I might just as well stick with the original plan. We are debating which is the better of 2 evils...hang out at SeaTac for a 10:30 pm flight, or get a room and be at the airport at 5AM for a 7AM flight...same price, either way. Room will not cost anything, as we can use points for that.

jimsig-enjoy the game!

Thanks Mary!

You'll enjoy that--but better buy your ticket ahead of time. There are always a LOT of Red Sox fans at those games!

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully have a couple things going for me

1. It's a Monday game, not a weekend.

2. I signed up for the Mariners e-mail blast to hopefully get in on their pre-sale for tickets.

em-sk...Thanks for the suggestion...it almost worked! There is a flight at 4:15pm, which might have been possible (on a Monday), but the airfare will still be $430 for DH. My miles will expire in January 2015, so I might just as well stick with the original plan. We are debating which is the better of 2 evils...hang out at SeaTac for a 10:30 pm flight, or get a room and be at the airport at 5AM for a 7AM flight...same price, either way. Room will not cost anything, as we can use points for that.

I'd say get a room and spend the night. Why be rushed on the last day of vacation if you have the option of staying. You can spend the day enjoying the city.

Even though your miles expire can you extend them somehow? Some airlines allow you to buy miles or you can even buy a song off iTunes going through your freq flier web site and if you have activity in your account it extend the dates for your points, I have done that a few times. Also can you book the flights before the points expire for a later flight? Though you might run risk of loosing the points all together if you have to cancel the flight.

It's all good...booked a cruise unexpectedly for May (RCCL with our adult children) and will not only use points but will book airfare that will further the expiration date. Continental had no expiration, but United has an 18 month expiration period.

FYI, with BA Avios, a one way ticket from Vancouver to Seattle on Alaska Air can be redeemed for only 4,500 points. Perhaps you have other type of points that's transferable to BA Avios?

If your flight is at 3:15pm, you need to be at the airport by 1:15pm. On weekends, Seatac is VERY busy, especially during cruise season when several thousand descend on the airport.

Besides Quick Coach there is Bolt Bus, Amtrak train, Amtrak bus, cruiseline transfer, or fly ( Alaska/Horizon). But be very mindful of the depot location at each end as it may require extra time .

Or consider a rental car .... if you can get an 8am reservation you could be on the road by 8:30. With great luck you could be at Seatac by 12:30 to drop off the car.

Certainly not within my comfort zone.

I agree. SeaTac can be hard to get through security screening quickly. Unless you can add on some sort of fast pass feature (like Jet Blue has) I don't think I would want to be showing up at the airport past 2pm for a 4pm flight.

• 1 month later...

Ummm... 2004 was 10 years ago, and the airport was in the middle of expansion construction, so yes things have gotten better at Vancouver airport since then. In fact, it wins a lot of international awards for design, convenience, etc. have a look at http://www.yvr.ca.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Was able to get great seats on the third base side row 28, that look down the first base line. Got them during the Mariners pre-sale.

What did you decide to do Mary? Stay the extra day?

Edited by jimsig

I'm jumping in in the middle, and so I may have missed something. The summer schedule goes through September 28. There is a shuttle Monday leaving at 9 and arriving at SeaTac at 1:20.

We took this shuttle last year. My husband wanted to go there as soon as we could disembark. (You walk through customs and then to the boarding area for the shuttle.)

Since we were at the beginning of the line we got through the shuttle boarding process quickly, though there was a little glitch in the scanner reading newer passports. Probably that has been fixed. We went to one of the coaches and left when it was full (before 9 a.m.) We did have to stop and get off the bus at the US border, but that went pretty smoothly at least this time!

A 10:30 flight will be less stressful.