Riviera VS Europa 2

hypercafe

I haven't done the Europa 2 (for that matter I haven't been on Riviera either although I have been on Marina) -- but the immediate difference that comes to mind is that Europa 2 carries 500 passengers as opposed to Riviera's 1250.

Mura

Definitely a lot of kids from what I've heard. They encourage families.

Sie würden froh sein, wenn 25 Fahrgäste auf dem gesamten Schiff sprechen Englisch!

Don't think you will find anyone that has sailed both Europa 2 and Oceania -- Europa 2 is too new and I personally don't feel that Oceania would appeal to Europa 2 passengers and visa versa.

Okay, so if only 25 fellow passengers speak English you could have a lonely time ... or LOTS of time to practice your German!

Mura

That is a good thought - in theory. We have spent time in several Club Meds where mostly French was spoken. At meal time, others at our table were really not interested in practicing English or French with us. They were on vacation and wanted to converse in their own language. We also spent time in an Italian all-inclusive resort where all but 10 or so people spoke Italian. We finally got a group of us together (English speakers) and met each night for dinner.

I'm not saying that some people would not enjoy the experience, it just isn't something that we would pay luxury cruise prices to do.

Can't say I was really serious in making my comment! Unless you have some facility in a foreign language (in that situation), there are better trips. Not understanding anything that the others in your group are saying is no fun at all.

And since this is apparently an expensive cruise line, I'd take a pass even though my German is still passable ... but not nearly as good as it once was.

Mura

Can't say I was really serious in making my comment! Unless you have some facility in a foreign language (in that situation), there are better trips. Not understanding anything that the others in your group are saying is no fun at all.

And since this is apparently an expensive cruise line, I'd take a pass even though my German is still passable ... but not nearly as good as it once was.

Mura

If you read what I wrote (used Google translator since I do not know a word of German:-), your German is better than passable:)

Brochure per diem is $1000/day--why not try Silversea or Regent Seven Seas first?

Yes it is not cheap. In fact the per diem I was looking at was 1200/day for two. I guess I got interested because of the space ratio as I am sick of looking for a seat in the show lounge, buffet, pool deck, etc. Oceania has this problem. Also the ship is new, I really find it hard to take to pay a high per diem and see worn soft goods. It was just a thought, thanks for the reply!!