Just off the Pride

jwlnroe

Once I'm back home I will post pictures but wanted to start my review and if anyone has questions let me know.

So to start this was definitely not a port/itinerary I would have chosen normally but I was among thousands of TA's that carnival gave free cruises too so I didn't have a lot of choices but wanted to try something new and the Spirit class ships were a ship I really have been wanting to try so this was nice.

We flew from Wisconsin to Baltimore with a night over in Dallas. We left two days early so we were sure to get there with all the winter weather going on in the Midwest/eastern parts of the state.

We stayed at the Wingate BWI and booked their cruise/park package. That included the night stay, airport transfers and round trip port transfers. Worked nicely and on the return the shuttle driver took us right to the airport from the cruise port. Would stay there again.

We had dinner at G&M and the food was excellent. My husband had a crab cake and I had a steak. Both excellent if you've never been to that restaurant I highly recommend it. The hotel shuttle will take you and pick you up. Next morning we hopped on the 10:30 shuttle and went to the port. We had all carry on luggage so we kept our bags with us. We also had FTTF. We were checked in quickly and they sent us to the back room where they had rows of chairs set up. Boarding started around 12:30ish or so. We boarded and went right to our cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by jwlnroe

We had cabin 8132 port side forward and it was a nice cabin. Our room steward Victor did a great job all week, have us ice everyday and was always nice to talk too. We had early dinning, table 146. We had great servers, Ariel, Katya and Constantine. Very nice and always checking on us and refilling drinks, etc. We ate in the dinning room every night but Thursday when we were in Nassau. Food was hit or miss but dinning room was better than the lido buffet. The pizza was awesome!! Loved the crust. Breakfast nothing special and dinning room breakfast was terrible. Just some weird food. French toast shouldn't be covered in cereal. We always ate lunch on the lido deck.

Both sea days going down were chilly but very smooth. First day was sunny, second day was a little choppy and cloudy/rainy. I went in the hot tub a couple times during the week. Wednesday port canaveral was cold and rainy. We stayed onboard that day. Leaving to head to nassau the water was very rough that night but after midnight or early morning it got a lot smoother.

Edited by jwlnroe

Nassau was gorgeous. I love that port not sure why so many dislike it. We headed to the Wyndham for the day. We hopped on the #10 bus (took us a little to find it) but worked out good and very cheap. Day passes were $20 pp plus a $10 pp deposit if you need towels and then when you return the towels you get your deposit back. Worked out very well for us - it was not crowded and the beach was so nice. We went in the pool and hot tub and I went down the water slide a few times. You can go use the facilities next door at the Sheraton - called something else now. So for the price you really can't beat a nice relaxing day at the beach. And we got Starbucks on the way home (was inside the resort) We hopped on the 12b bus back downtown. FYI both the 10 and 12b buses go the same route only difference from the 12b is it can take you from your hotel directly to the airport. And it would take your luggage for an extra fee only a few bucks per piece I believe. Then we shopped some and got some things for our kids and we also tried some conch fritters which were different but good. Went into the little market for some drinks and snacks for on the ship. I bought a nice bag from one of the straw market booths. Once back onboard we ate dinner on the lido deck and turned in early. Nassau was awesome I'd go back again anytime.

Edited by jwlnroe

Welcome back!

Was the area around your cabin location quiet?

Yes it was actually fairly quiet - we just had a noisy neighbor on the last sea day that liked yelling off the balcony and being kinda loud in their cabin.

I'll try and finish up the writing part of my review and pics will follow later tomorrow or Tuesday. I took so many pictures lol. So next day Freeport - was a nice day a little chilly but the sun came out and it became a really nice warm day. We stayed on the ship again and enjoyed the serenity deck for a bit. We did both formal nights which is always fun. Last sea day was gorgeous! In the 60s I think but very windy. I enjoyed our balcony a lot on the last sea day. Until the loud neighbor decided to be annoying. Definitely beats an inside cabin which is all I had ever sailed in prior to this cruise. It does spoil you :) we watched parts of some of the evening shows but kinda boring. We played some bingo, trivia and watched the family fun game on the last night which was funny. Loved the house band that played in the starry nights lounge don't remember which night wasn't the last night but a few nights before. Debarkation was fine - we had FTTF and did self disembark so we were off and in our shuttle by 10:30. It was a great cruise, love cruising. This was my 4th carnival cruise and they are always fun. The Pride is a great ship. Love the layout so easy to find everything. Our cabin was in the perfect location. Everyone was very nice and seemed to be having a good time. not sure if I covered everything but shout out if u have questions.

Thanks for sharing! We'll be on the Pride for the first time in November. Any favorite areas of the ship?

Have a fun trip!! Loved the serenity area but can be hard to find spots to sit. Starry Nights Lounge is always a nice place to go in the evenings when they have bands playing. We didn't do lots at night we always turned in early. I've heard the piano bar is neat but we never got a chance to go there.

Welcome back and congrats on getting a free TA cruise!!!

Sounds like you had a great time. Just wondered when you were docked in Baltimore & Freeport was your side of the ship towards land or water. Just wondered if I would be getting a chance to "people watch" at any point. We are doing E. Carb in May in a 9B so plan to enjoy the balcony...I have never been in a balcony cabin before and excited to use it!!!

Thanks for your review. DH and I are sailing on the Pride out of Tampa on Nov. 9th, so I appreciate your comments. We loved the Legend out of Tampa in November and am sure we'll also enjoy her sister ship the Pride.

Welcome back and congrats on getting a free TA cruise!!!

Sounds like you had a great time. Just wondered when you were docked in Baltimore & Freeport was your side of the ship towards land or water. Just wondered if I would be getting a chance to "people watch" at any point. We are doing E. Carb in May in a 9B so plan to enjoy the balcony...I have never been in a balcony cabin before and excited to use it!!!

Baltimore it was starboard side as well as Freeport and PC - Nassau was the only port that port side was actually dock side. Our cabin was port so was kinda bummed about the other ports but I got some awesome pictures coming into Nassau from our balcony. I have over 600 photos.. I only posted about 100 to facebook. I will try and get some posted soon. I'll try and post a few yet tonight before I head to bed.

I will try and do a group of pictures tonight and add more tomorrow.

First pic is the covered main pool midship - it stayed covered for the entire cruise

Second pic was of the sun setting from our balcony

coveredpool.jpg.3bdfcb49acf6732be26c472a300211d4.jpg

sunsetfrombalcony.jpg.931bc1578dba30fcfeae05de7359e3e8.jpg

Edited by jwlnroe

First picture is from our day in Nassau. We headed to the Wyndham for the day and it was so worth it. only $20 pp and we took the bus there and back and had so much fun! Would totally go back in a heart beat!

Next pic is me enjoying the hammock.. first time in one and I could have fallen asleep it was so relaxing laying in that thing.

Last pic is of the pool at the Wyndham. Was chilly but I went down the slide a few times so once ya got all the way in it wasn't so bad.. then I ran to the hot tub on the other side to warm up LOL.. the pool was colder then the ocean was.

wyndham.jpg.fad9ffa90e7dbda81d50fb851f5cc3ee.jpg

hammock.jpg.a95ff40d99e57576f8be3a41cc839056.jpg

wyndhampool.jpg.a2766d092f7510168fe91063658a1559.jpg

Edited by jwlnroe

• 1 month later...

I am new to this website, so I hope I am doing this right. I am from Wisconsin and taking the Pride in April 2014. I am having a hard time finding a hotel that has shuttles to and from the airport and the cruise port. You said you stayed at the Wingate BWI. How did you book the stay, by internet or did you call them directly? How much did it cost? If there are any tips you can give me I would really appreciate it. Thanks

I'll be on Pride for the first time soon. Not soon enough (I'm in the middle of tax season :( ), but soon!

No free cruise for me (#19 on Carnival coming up, solo on this one), but I've wanted to sail the other Spirit-class ships ever since I first sailed Miracle in 2007. LOVE the layout!

I don't hate Nassau, either (but I'm on the GT/HMC/Freeport itinerary). Honestly, people. It's lovely. Just get out there and DO something or GO somewhere. People complain about the guantlet you have to negotiate when you get off the ship. Oh, yeah. Let's have thousands (and thousands) of tourists invade our beautiful island every single day, but let's not bother them with any attempt to make any money off the invasions, right? We're only to be there when they want us for something (you know, like being their private driver or waiter). :rolleyes:

I gave up on Carnival's pizza years ago. Really didn't care for it. Thought it was very blah. Maybe I should try it since they've changed it. I don't "do" regular buffet food. I'll have late dining. Maybe I should request to be seated with your waitstaff. :D

I upgraded myself to a French Door cabin. Anxious to see what that's like. Really looking forward to the Serenity Deck. Miracle didn't have that either time I sailed her. It's always my favorite area.

Anyway, looking forward to pics.

flagqueen77 - check the East Coast Departures board. That's where the discussion of hotels/shuttles, etc. takes place. I found info in a Baltimore thread there and used that to book my pre-cruise hotel. There's also an "All Things Pride" thread that shouldn't be too many pages back that has lots of useful info, too.

I'll be on Pride for the first time soon. Not soon enough (I'm in the middle of tax season :( ), but soon!

No free cruise for me (#19 on Carnival coming up, solo on this one), but I've wanted to sail the other Spirit-class ships ever since I first sailed Miracle in 2007. LOVE the layout!

I don't hate Nassau, either (but I'm on the GT/HMC/Freeport itinerary). Honestly, people. It's lovely. Just get out there and DO something or GO somewhere. People complain about the guantlet you have to negotiate when you get off the ship. Oh, yeah. Let's have thousands (and thousands) of tourists invade our beautiful island every single day, but let's not bother them with any attempt to make any money off the invasions, right? We're only to be there when they want us for something (you know, like being their private driver or waiter). :rolleyes:

I gave up on Carnival's pizza years ago. Really didn't care for it. Thought it was very blah. Maybe I should try it since they've changed it. I don't "do" regular buffet food. I'll have late dining. Maybe I should request to be seated with your waitstaff. :D

I upgraded myself to a French Door cabin. Anxious to see what that's like. Really looking forward to the Serenity Deck. Miracle didn't have that either time I sailed her. It's always my favorite area.

Anyway, looking forward to pics.

flagqueen77 - check the East Coast Departures board. That's where the discussion of hotels/shuttles, etc. takes place. I found info in a Baltimore thread there and used that to book my pre-cruise hotel. There's also an "All Things Pride" thread that shouldn't be too many pages back that has lots of useful info, too.

We love Miracle as well, and sail on her again on April 12 to Hawaii.

You said you upgraded to a 4K...did you end up in one with a view ? We are going "home" again to 4140 for the 3rd time, and it has a great view between the lifeboats. The 4K's use to be a great secret gem on the Spirit class ships, however they are becoming very popular and the ones with a view get booked quickly.

We sailed on Pride in 2009 and while it is Miracle's sister ship, I prefer Miracle over Pride.

Have a great cruise, and OP...thanks for the review !