Can you skip the photo line?

alwaysfrantic

I disagree. We have no obligation to stand in line for something that is entirely optional. The line is for a photo, not to get on the ship. The photographers would like you to think that it is the line to get on the ship, but it is not. It is the photographers who have the bad manners.

One time the HAL officials decided that the photographers were too slow and so they directed a large number of passengers to bypass the photographers to hurry things up.

igraf

[quote name='midwest 852']Ok so what some are saying it's ok to go around the line that is waiting for the photo/boarding line I understand passing the photographer when it's your turn but to by pass the line is rude.
Good Manners, you always wait your turn[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sun~']

As for snooze cruise, all blues cruisers call a regular cruise a snooze cruise. I am sure this isn't the only charter to use that term. Our cruise is much different than a regular cruise![/QUOTE]

I too find this offensive. Too think of being put down by other HAL cruisers is sad and that you actually posted it on the forum where many were agreeing with you about your topic seems thoughtless. I find it hard to believe that "all blues cruisers" call everyone else snoozers.

[quote name='sun~']Absolutely nothing to do with check in. It was the usual photo line up. As we tried to just walk past the backdrop (for those who may not know what this is, it is the large screen that photographers set up. It could be blank, coloured or even with a large photo of something on it. You can't miss it. It is about 8' high. They make everyone stand in front and take a picture). There was a small table that had some equipment on it. There was a small box type thing. She took my card out of my hand and pressed the card to the reader. She was a photog. No mistaking anything. Where I never go is the actual photographers booth on the ship. But like everything else on the ship, they use the sign and sail card to charge your purchases. So, yes, they do possess scanners.

As for snooze cruise, all blues cruisers call a regular cruise a snooze cruise. I am sure this isn't the only charter to use that term. Our cruise is much different than a regular cruise![/QUOTE]

Perhaps I didn't express myself properly. I don't doubt that this woman was a member of the photography staff. I was just wondering if the ship was trying to speed up the process and them scan your card to record you boarding, thus shortening the line at the end of the gangway. Because, really, you aren't buying anything at the photo op stop even if they do take your photo, (and I am well aware of what the backdrop is, my photo on here is in front of one), so there would be no reason at all to scan your card except to check you onto the ship.

I guess I'll know in about 3 1/2 weeks.

Maureen

I saw that the NA has a charter on March 8 or 9, don't remember which. It's a nude cruise! A friend of mine worked for one of them and he said there is no snooze to that cruise, except the demographic is the same as for all HAL cruises. LOL

[quote name='sun~']Absolutely nothing to do with check in. It was the usual photo line up. As we tried to just walk past the backdrop (for those who may not know what this is, it is the large screen that photographers set up. It could be blank, coloured or even with a large photo of something on it. You can't miss it. It is about 8' high. They make everyone stand in front and take a picture). There was a small table that had some equipment on it. There was a small box type thing. She took my card out of my hand and pressed the card to the reader. She was a photog. No mistaking anything. Where I never go is the actual photographers booth on the ship. But like everything else on the ship, they use the sign and sail card to charge your purchases. So, yes, they do possess scanners.

[/QUOTE]

We experienced the same process on the NA in December, and it was not a charter. The photographers were taking your card and scanning it. The scanner was set up on a table to the side. And yes, we also had to present our cards to scan to get on the ship.

We had to endure the lineup to get through the photographers. I really wish that someone from HAL would have been directing folks, but that would most likely result in lower revenue for the photographers and lower revenue for HAL. Edited by cbr663

[quote name='cbr663']We experienced the same process on the NA in December, and it was not a charter. The photographers were taking your card and scanning it. The scanner was set up on a table to the side. And yes, we also had to present our cards to scan to get on the ship.

We had to endure the lineup to get through the photographers. I really wish that someone from HAL would have been directing folks, but that would most likely result in lower revenue for the photographers and lower revenue for HAL.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if they're using a system based on the card scan to group pictures taken during the cruise. Disney has something called PhotoPass where their photographers scan your photo card to link its info to the picture they just took.

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Before I needed wheelchair assistance to get onto the ships, we had priority boarding and we always politely said "No Thankful" and moved on through. Sometimes there was space behind the scene drop that we could just walk around the entire setting.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]We do the same thing in the ports -- just say "No Thankful".[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]No Thankful - never heard of that expression.:confused:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[quote name='jrzebird']Perhaps I didn't express myself properly. I don't doubt that this woman was a member of the photography staff. I was just wondering if the ship was trying to speed up the process and them scan your card to record you boarding, thus shortening the line at the end of the gangway. Because, really, you aren't buying anything at the photo op stop even if they do take your photo, (and I am well aware of what the backdrop is, my photo on here is in front of one), so there would be no reason at all to scan your card except to check you onto the ship.

I guess I'll know in about 3 1/2 weeks.

Maureen[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]They (the photo staff) were also doing this (card scanning at their station) during the 29 DEC 13 embarkation process of NADM in Port Everglades. This card scanning is not related to the check-in process since that's not the Photo staff's responsibility, unlike the shore-side staff at the check-in counter ashore and the security staff at the gangway. It's something new and I initially believed it had something to do with identifying the (welcome aboard) photo with the person(s) being photographed. I will find out [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]They (the photo staff) were also doing this (card scanning at their station) during the 29 DEC 13 embarkation process of NADM in Port Everglades. This card scanning is not related to the check-in process since that's not the Photo staff's responsibility, unlike the shore-side staff at the check-in counter ashore and the security staff at the gangway. It's something new and I initially believed it had something to do with identifying the (welcome aboard) photo with the person(s) being photographed. I will find out [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

If anyone can find out, you can, John! It is an interesting situation. Not life-threatening or life-changing, but interesting.

Maureen