Deck chair strategy

Jaddy

Haven't cruised in 15 years. One of the negative comments that I sometimes read about on Celebrity reviews is the lack of deck chairs (compounded by "hoarding") in the pool area. How big a problem is this? What have you experienced cruisers come up with for a strategy to deal with this?

I don't want to get to the pool area until 10 or 10:30am. And "competing" for deck chairs sounds like work to me right now.

BTW, my wife an I will be on the Equinox on March 3 in case any advice you may care to give is ship specific.

Thank you for your help.

I personally had no issue getting a decent deck chair at the pool on the Equinox or the Eclipse. The chair hog issue did not seem to me to be a major problem.

On both my sailings I noticed the pool butlers actively policing the area and if stuff was left sitting on a chair unattended for a period a card was placed regarding not tying up the chair. After 30 minutes the items are removed so that the chair is open for use.

I saw one person come unglued because they returned 90 minutes later to find their chair occupied by a new person. The pool butler handled it somewhere out of ear shot.

Go and don't worry about it. If you are having difficulty locating a chair ask a staff member if they would cruise (no pun intended) the area for unoccupied by hogged chairs and release one for you.

Haven't cruised in 15 years. One of the negative comments that I sometimes read about on Celebrity reviews is the lack of deck chairs (compounded by "hoarding") in the pool area. How big a problem is this? What have you experienced cruisers come up with for a strategy to deal with this?

I don't want to get to the pool area until 10 or 10:30am. And "competing" for deck chairs sounds like work to me right now.

BTW, my wife an I will be on the Equinox on March 3 in case any advice you may care to give is ship specific.

Thank you for your help.

We didn't have a problem on the Summit. On the sea day, it was definitely busier, but there were some less desirable chairs available near the pool, and lots free on the 2 decks above the pool. A 5 minute wait yielded perfect ones next to the pool as people were leaving. I too saw the pool butlers keeping things cleaned up very well. We also always took our towels to the bins when we were done instead of leaving them on the chairs for someone else to clean up, and so that others didn't wonder if the chairs were available.

Thank you for your help.

If you take a stateroom with a balcony you might consider enjoying it rather than trying to find a deck chair to your liking. That's what we do. It's a suggestion.

We just returned from the Reflection January 25 sailing and we never had a problem finding a lounger in any day. However, we did choose to spend the majority of our time on our beautiful balcony... So enjoyed it. I would also add that we never waited to be seated in Blu or any other restaurant. We had a lovely time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Was on the Constellation last year on a 5 night out of Miami. On both sea days, EVERY outdoor chair was taken. There were dozens circling the ship looking for a place to sit. We found seating on the top deck over looking the front of the ship. In that area there was plenty of space but few chairs. It filled up quick.

On the Equinox in November and the only problem was getting a two person cabana. There are only 10 of then and people would put a book and towel on them and leave for hours. We would get there between 8 and 830 to get one. The regular deck chairs were no problem.

Love the whole deck chair hog threads. They are fun to read It's a never ending problem and will continue to be a problem until X enforces their 30 minute rule. Just note that problem is not limited to cruise ships; ever been to the pools in Las Vegas?

Me personally, I'm more worried about my barstool at the Mast and Sunset bars. :-)

Cheers.

This may be a crazy question, but we are driving so actually COULD do it, but does anyone ever take their own little beach chairs for the pool deck? Mine has a shoulder strap ( and a cup holder for my drink :D) so it would be easy to carry on board. Not sure if I WILL do it but might be something to consider? Anyone ever see this? Is there even room to set up by the pool like this ( we will be on Connie)?

Edited by scubamommy!

Tommy.....if you leave that barstool for longer than 30 minutes.....it's MINE! ;)

Not if I put my towel, copy of Webster's Dictionary, Flip-Flops and Sunglasses on it first!

Either that or I'll have my financial advisory firm of Washington, Lincoln Hamilton and Jackson with me to assist the bartender is shooing away any unwanted bar stool savengers! :-)

LOL!

Cheers

This may be a crazy question, but we are driving so actually COULD do it, but does anyone ever take their own little beach chairs for the pool deck? Mine has a shoulder strap ( and a cup holder for my drink :D) so it would be easy to carry on board. Not sure if I WILL do it but might be something to consider? Anyone ever see this? Is there even room to set up by the pool like this ( we will be on Connie)?

There is NO room by the pool to set something like that up. There is barely enough space to walk between the chairs and in some cases NO space in between the chairs. Parents who bring strollers that block the aisles are asked to collapse them because it is too difficult to walk.

I personally have never seen anyone do it.

On the shorter (10 days or less) Caribbean cruises there does seem to be a lot of sun worshipers and the loungers near the main pool area do usually go early in the day. But we have never had a problem on the S-Class ships because there are plenty of loungers in other areas and we often prefer to be a deck above the pool. On longer cruises (like the 14 day Eclispse cruise) during school time, there seem to be a lot less sun worshipers and an older crowd that practices sun avoidance. One interesting thing we have discovered (over many years) is when you get a lot of Floridians there never seems to be a deck chair problem. Folks more to FL for the sun and sand and quickly realize they do not want to be in the sun (or on the sand). Floridians are an interesting "breed" (most of my family has lived in FL) in that they tend to avoid the sun and eat dinner at 4pm to save $1 on their early birds :). On Caribbean cruises they often think that even the early seatings are too late :).

Hank

Back in the day of Noah's ark, and no cabin balcony's, all deck chairs were numbered buy your cabin #. Everyone had a chair. The problem came in when you wanted to be closer to the pool. People always moved their chair to prime spots. We prefer to be back from the pool..too busy and crowded. Now with those beautiful private balcony's...why is this such a problem?:mad:

Would they even allow outside beach chairs on board the ship?

When we go to Bermuda and I can drive to the port, I bring two small beach chairs, and a full size beach umbrella. They go perfectly under our bed. People have remarked as we leave the ship what a great idea that is. Don't use them at the pool, though!

Love the whole deck chair hog threads. They are fun to read It's a never ending problem and will continue to be a problem until X enforces their 30 minute rule. Just note that problem is not limited to cruise ships; ever been to the pools in Las Vegas?

Me personally, I'm more worried about my barstool at the Mast and Sunset bars. :-)

Cheers.[/QUOT

Yes, and AMEN!! Loved Vegas until I found X!! I miss my pools at Ceasar's but not enough to give up a week of butler service, recognition at the Mast/Sunset/Martini/Molecular bars, and islands with crystal clear waters!!

Yeah, I didn't think so but just thought I would ask. Sure would be nice to know I had a chair when wanted. We will be at the pool whenever we can with a drink in hand!

We were on cruise and two 30 something girls brought a blow up doll to save their pool chairs...idiots

. BTW, my wife an I will be on the Equinox on March 3 in case any advice you may care to give is ship specific.

Thank you for your help.

We were on the Equinox in December and didn't have any problems finding a lounger by the pool or in the solarium. Our sailing was the 11 day itinerary and attracted a lot of older passengers - I think the combination of longer sailing and older passenger base resulted in less chair hogging.

Edited by lovemylab