Santa Marta

dfb

I have been to Cartagena and loved it. But, next time a cruise I'm on stops in Colombia, it will be at Santa Marta from 9am to 5pm. Anyone have any suggestions for me? We aren't beach people, btw.

Thanks, Debbie

• 5 months later...
I have been to Cartagena and loved it. But, next time a cruise I'm on stops in Colombia, it will be at Santa Marta from 9am to 5pm. Anyone have any suggestions for me? We aren't beach people, btw.

Thanks, Debbie

Hi Debbie, Not sure if you will see this, or if you went already. We are hitting both Cartagena and Santa Marta in March 2105. If you did go, do you have any suggestions. John

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I created a Port Page for Santa Marta for our cruise on the Carnival Triumph next March. Info is a bit hard to find, so this might save you some time. John

That was fantastic information - do you have others you would share. If yes, please send to tasenta at gmail dot com! Anywhere in the world would be so very appreciated.

May have to see about having you cruise and lecture on HAL???

Edited by take us away

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/24/2016 at 5:59 PM, MVPinBoynton said:

JWGrayson was kind enough to update the link to the valuable info he had put together about Santa Marta. The new link is: http://stuffbyjohn.info/santaMarta/index.html

Unfortunately I couldn’t get the link to work, but it is quite some time ago now.  On the flip side, MVPinBoynton produces an excellent series of cruise blogs and has excelled in Santa Marta on their Ocean Riviera - March 2016 page.  Sorry I’m hopeless at posting links.  Just go to thepreismans,com and select recent cruises and you should find it there!

On 8/17/2019 at 4:24 AM, caneable said:

Unfortunately I couldn’t get the link to work, but it is quite some time ago now.  On the flip side, MVPinBoynton produces an excellent series of cruise blogs and has excelled in Santa Marta on their Ocean Riviera - March 2016 page.  Sorry I’m hopeless at posting links.  Just go to thepreismans,com and select recent cruises and you should find it there!

Thanks for this info.  Here’s the link you were unable to post.  Recognizing this was three years ago, it doesn’t look like the most interesting port. 

http://thepreismans.com/riviera16.htm

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks for this info.  Here’s the link you were unable to post.  Recognizing this was three years ago, it doesn’t look like the most interesting port. 

http://thepreismans.com/riviera16.htm

"Doesn't look like the most interesting port" is an understatement.  Of course I may be biased because the first time I was there I happened to be coming down with pneumonia. I though I just had a cold, but by that night I knew it was far worse. Second time there we took an excursion that was an all-inclusive day pass at a beach resort outside of town. Expensive, but we enjoyed it.

8 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

"Doesn't look like the most interesting port" is an understatement.  Of course I may be biased because the first time I was there I happened to be coming down with pneumonia. I though I just had a cold, but by that night I knew it was far worse. Second time there we took an excursion that was an all-inclusive day pass at a beach resort outside of town. Expensive, but we enjoyed it.

Well, that first visit sounds awful; I hope you recovered quickly!

I will have to check out the resort option.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Well, that first visit sounds awful; I hope you recovered quickly!

I will have to check out the resort option.  Thanks!

I recovered eventually but it did slow me down for a while. The medical center on the Gem treated it properly according to my family physician. In the process they did extract $9.100 from my wallet...but my travel insurance fully reimbursed me. A good lesson in why you need travel insurance and why you should always travel with at least one credit card  that has a high credit limit.

29 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I recovered eventually but it did slow me down for a while. The medical center on the Gem treated it properly according to my family physician. In the process they did extract $9.100 from my wallet...but my travel insurance fully reimbursed me. A good lesson in why you need travel insurance and why you should always travel with at least one credit card  that has a high credit limit.

Glad to hear about the medical staff on the Gem, and your recovery.  We were totally impressed, many years ago, with the medical staff (and all of the staff) on the Jade, when a new Roll Call friend with whom (and others) we'd just taken a fabulous small group private tour had a stroke at the dinner table in the MDR.  Long story short, he's okay (but it was a harrowing night requiring his evacuation in very rough seas).   And yes, we always have travel insurance, and those credit cards.  I'm not sure why so many folks pass on insurance.

BTW, was this the shorex in Santa Marta you mentioned, and, if so, I assume you got to have lunch there, yes?  It's shown now as 5.5 hours (1 hour of which is total transportation time).  Sound about right?  (It is pricey as you said!):

"Experience a day of total relaxation at a beautiful beach resort just outside the city of Santa Marta and later, enjoy a sightseeing tour through the modern El Rodadero area and the historic old town.

Starting off from the pier, it’s a thiry-minute drive to one of the area’s nicest beach resorts. En route, take in the captivating views of Colombia as you listen to your guide relay the history and culture of this picturesque seaport.

Arriving at the resort, you are invited to spend the day as you desire. This 56 acre ecological complex is located in front of the Sierra Nevada of Santa Marta, the only mountain in front of the ocean in the world. The resort features authentic natural gardens, tropical vegetation and a beautiful uncrowded beach that stretches for over a half mile. While you are here, you are welcome to avail yourself of all the comforts and facilities characteristic of a 5-Star Resort, making this the ideal place to spend an unforgettable day soaking in the ambience, beauty and nature of the magnificent Colombian Caribbean coast. A buffet lunch is included, to enjoy at your leisure."

8 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Glad to hear about the medical staff on the Gem, and your recovery.  We were totally impressed, many years ago, with the medical staff (and all of the staff) on the Jade, when a new Roll Call friend with whom (and others) we'd just taken a fabulous small group private tour had a stroke at the dinner table in the MDR.  Long story short, he's okay (but it was a harrowing night requiring his evacuation in very rough seas).   And yes, we always have travel insurance, and those credit cards.  I'm not sure why so many folks pass on insurance.

BTW, was this the shorex in Santa Marta you mentioned, and, if so, I assume you got to have lunch there, yes?  It's shown now as 5.5 hours (1 hour of which is total transportation time).  Sound about right?  (It is pricey as you said!):

"Experience a day of total relaxation at a beautiful beach resort just outside the city of Santa Marta and later, enjoy a sightseeing tour through the modern El Rodadero area and the historic old town.

Starting off from the pier, it’s a thiry-minute drive to one of the area’s nicest beach resorts. En route, take in the captivating views of Colombia as you listen to your guide relay the history and culture of this picturesque seaport.

Arriving at the resort, you are invited to spend the day as you desire. This 56 acre ecological complex is located in front of the Sierra Nevada of Santa Marta, the only mountain in front of the ocean in the world. The resort features authentic natural gardens, tropical vegetation and a beautiful uncrowded beach that stretches for over a half mile. While you are here, you are welcome to avail yourself of all the comforts and facilities characteristic of a 5-Star Resort, making this the ideal place to spend an unforgettable day soaking in the ambience, beauty and nature of the magnificent Colombian Caribbean coast. A buffet lunch is included, to enjoy at your leisure."

That's the excursion. Needless to say some of the wording pushes factual boundaries, such as describing it as a 5-Star Resort, and the "only mountain in front of the ocean in the world" claim. I still haven't figured out what that means even after the tour guide tried to explain it to another passenger. Bottom line is that we enjoyed the day. The biggest drawback was the plethora of vendors on the beach trying to sell you things. Some even had badges saying that they were approved to approach the hotel's guests. 

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Needless to say some of the wording pushes factual boundaries, such as describing it as a 5-Star Resort, and the "only mountain in front of the ocean in the world" claim

I have to say, I was scratching my head when I read that.  🤣