Oasis of the Seas, Western Caribbean need help planning!

jdbk

Hello! Our family of 15 (including 5 kids, ages 1-7) has booked our first on the Oasis for June 2014. We desperately need some help! I am going to post all my questions below, if anyone can help I would GREATLY appreciate it!

1. Any nicer hotel recs that are close to the port? Do most of them provide shuttles? (fees are okay) We are all flying in from LA the day before. Would love to arrange for a large shuttle/limo to and from airport/hotel/port.

2. Should we get any of the drink packages? Is it worth it? What are the tricks of the trade?

3. What excursions are "must dos?" We will have the youngest kids (1 & 3) but the others may be able to do more since their kids are a bit older. What do you recommend?

4. Do you recommend booking shows/entertainment as soon as possible?

Again, any advice or help you can offer is GREATLY appreciated! TIA

Hello! Our family of 15 (including 5 kids, ages 1-7) has booked our first on the Oasis for June 2014. We desperately need some help! I am going to post all my questions below, if anyone can help I would GREATLY appreciate it!

1. Any nicer hotel recs that are close to the port? Do most of them provide shuttles? (fees are okay) We are all flying in from LA the day before. Would love to arrange for a large shuttle/limo to and from airport/hotel/port. Tons of info on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Some reading there would reveal that some, but far from most offer shuttles, and that, generally, taxi is the "best" alternative.

2. Should we get any of the drink packages? Is it worth it? What are the tricks of the trade?

"Worth" is a totally personal opinion. What is "worth it" to you may be a waste to me. For all the tricks and tips, some reading on the RCI board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

would be very beneficial.

3. What excursions are "must dos?" We will have the youngest kids (1 & 3) but the others may be able to do more since their kids are a bit older. What do you recommend? "Must do" is another personal choice. But, rather than "must do", do what interests you, not what others say is mandatory.

Again, check on the RCI board.

See comments in red.

1. Any nicer hotel recs that are close to the port? Do most of them provide shuttles? (fees are okay) We are all flying in from LA the day before. Would love to arrange for a large shuttle/limo to and from airport/hotel/port.

We love Embassy Suites on 17th street, and Hyatt Place next door is nice, too. They all offer shuttles for around $10 pp.

We always got soda package for the children. Drinks are expensive on a ship, but you really need to think if you would drink that much to make it worthwhile. We figure we at least break even, so we always take a package if available.

3. What excursions are "must dos?" We will have the youngest kids (1 & 3) but the others may be able to do more since their kids are a bit older. What do you recommend?

Not sure if you are doing the Eastern or Western itinerary. I will say that our children are like us--just get us to a beach!

If there are shows you really want to see, then yes, book as soon as you can.

We loved all the areas on the ship--SOOO much too see & do, you really won't be able to do it all!

ENJOY!

Book the shows early. If you wait, you may not be able to reserve. And get there early for best seating. The ship it's self is a destination. There is so much to see and do onboard that you may want to stay on the ship with the young children, If you want to get off at ports, do some research here and in your library.

I hope all of you have a wonderful time.

Regarding getting to the ship from the hotel, as mentioned previously, it will cost anywhere from $7 to $10 PER PERSON.

You can put 4 in a taxi, and the TOTAL cost will be less than $15.

And you can just grab a taxi when you are ready, whereas a shuttle, herd the cattle, wait for shuttle, etc.

I used a spreadsheet that I created and have shared on here before for my recent November Oasis cruise, Western Itinerary. I will be happy to send it to you if you'd like. You can also find it at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=281065&d=1375375247

A couple of observations for you - and keep in mind that these are only MY observations:

The alcohol package may be worthwhile if you are (a) a heavy drinker, or (b) tend to drink several cocktails throughout the day, every day. But remember, you're in port on three of these days, even though Labadee drinks would count towards your package. And many people tend not to drink as much on the last night on board since they're getting an early start home the next day. We didn't opt for it, we drank absolutely everything we wanted while on board, and we spent less than if we had purchased the package.

Taking a cab vs. taking the hotel shuttle to the ship is the best option. Hotel shuttles, whether "free" or for fee, often stop at multiple hotels and multiple ships. So you may have quite the long ride. If you take a cab, it's just you and you can go straight to the ship. No hassles. And it's often cheaper or the same as the hotel shuttle fee.

Cozumel port area is really just a large shopping area filled with (in my opinion) pushy vendors. Not much to see unless you book an excursion of some sort. Go to the port section and search what folks with children would recommend. Nachi Cocom is (supposed to be) very nice, but unfortunately I was very sick the day we were in port and couldn't go. I've heard great things about it though.

Falmouth was hot, hot, hot in November. I can only imagine June! Again, it's shopping only in the port area. If you want to see Jamaica, you'll need to book an excursion. This is NOT a place to wander the streets alone outside the gated port area. Cabs all leave out of one area. And you can typically share cab fares with others headed your direction.

Labadee, in my opinion, is a fun, family-oriented place. It has shopping, but we avoid it. We enjoy the beach (Columbus Cove is a nice soft sand, not rocky, beach). Don't bother with renting chairs. If you pay the workers cash they will set your chairs up for less than half the "rental" fee, which I believe is $14/chair. There are also activities (for fees of course) but plenty of fun to be had without paying extra.

On the ship, much of the Boardwalk area is filled with for-fee, child attractive activities. Just know that when you go thru those double doors, you're little ones will be bombarded with things they'll want to buy. Much of the things in that area are for fee except for the Donuts and the carousel. Unfortunately to get to the Aqua Park you have to venture thru that area. Which reminds me, make sure to take something to wipe down the seats in the Aqua Theater because the smoke stacks tend to billow ash and it falls onto those seats!

And to help you not come home with luggage loads of laundry, take advantage of the laundry special on (I think) Day 3 of your cruise. Your attendant will leave a bag in your room. ROLL everything as tightly as you can. You'd be surprised what you can fit into that bag! As long as it'll close they'll wash it. No jeans. But shorts, shirts, panties, swim suits, pjs, etc... are all okay. It's one price - I believe $30 for the bag. But it was well worth it to me not to come home with a ton of laundry.

Last, but not least, enjoy. Don't overplan. I used my spreadsheet to get a general idea of what we wanted to do each day. But if we slept in and missed something, no worries. There's always the NEXT cruise!

Edited by Sherri914

Regarding getting to the ship from the hotel, as mentioned previously, it will cost anywhere from $7 to $10 PER PERSON.

You can put 4 in a taxi, and the TOTAL cost will be less than $15.

And you can just grab a taxi when you are ready, whereas a shuttle, herd the cattle, wait for shuttle, etc.

Taxis are not necessarily waiting at the hotels; they typically need to be called. And they are VERY busy on Saturday & Sunday mornings with all the cruise action. They need to be called ahead (I recommend the day before)--and you would need several.

But it is more cost effective.

Edited by KKB

When we cruise on the Allure, we plan to visit some beaches in the ports. Do we need to pack some beach towels or will the cruise ship supply towels to take to the beach?

No need to bring beach towels. Just use the ship's towels.