How crazy does this sound?

Maxy Mouse

I will be traveling with my husband and 13 year old in June. The plan is to fly into Heathrow and spend 3 days in London, take a short driving tour ending at Southampton for our cruise aboard the Ruby Princess. We fly out of Heathrow the day after arriving in Southampton. Both adults have visited London a few times. I did a driving to tour about 20 years ago but haven't driven on the left since then. By the way DD is a vocal music student. If you know of things she should miss please let me know.

Here are the details

Arrive Heathrow about 8 am Tube to County Hall hotel London 3 days with one half day at Hampton Court

Day 4 Tube County Hall hotel to Heathrow, pick up rental car drive to York see city walls and York minster

Day 5 drive York to Stratford upon Avon

Day 6 drive stratford upon Avon to Oxford see Christ Church College

Day 7 drive Oxford to Bath see Roman Baths, Royal Crescent and have a Bath Bun at Sally Lunn

Day 8 drive Bath to Southampton dropping off car

We have the day the ship returns to plan. One thought was to take a bus transfer that includes Windsor and staying at a hotel near Heathrow.

Okay tell me what you think. Is this reasonable? What adjustments would you suggest? Any tips? I will be ever so grateful for any help you can give.

That sounds a pretty good tour, obviously you have put thought into what you want to see and visit.

I would think about taking the train from London-York and picking up a car there the next day (depending on the one-way fee to drop off at LHR). It's a fairly long drive with a lot of motorway. You could do most of your tour by train quite easily, but having the car for the rest is probably sensible.

One thing to think about for DD is that York is home to the National Centre for Early Music. I am a keen amateur choral singer and have had the good fortune to sing with some of the good folk associated with NCEM (such as The Sixteen and I Fagiolini). It would be worth seeing if they have anything on in York when you are there. ncem.co.uk

Sorry, can't help re music, though London is likely to be your best bet because it has much much more than the provinces and you have more flexibility there. Check out the events for the Royal Albert Hall (music school adjoins), & or the South Bank Centre (near your hotel)

...........................................................................................

The tube to Waterloo (nearest your hotel) involves one change of train.

Or mebbe change at Barons Court (which I believe is a particularly easy change) for a tube to Westminster, then walk or taxi across Westminster Bridge.

...........................................................................................

York is quite some way out on a limb (200 miles from Heathrow & 150 back to Stratford-upon-Avon) but it's perfectly feasible if you keep to the motorways in order to give yourselves time there and at Stratford. And although you'll not see much (any?) countryside on those two boring motorway journeys, your route can make up for it after Stratford.

For those last three days, throw the GPS out of the window & try to meander such as

Stratford to Oxford via Shipston-on-Stour, Moreton-in-Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold, Chipping Norton, Woodstock (Blenheim Palace?). Takes 90 minutes instead of just under an hour using the M40.

Oxford to Bath perhaps via Burford, Lechlade, Marlborough, Silbury Hill, Avebury Ring, Lacock. 2 hrs 20 mins rather the most direct route at 90 minutes.

Bath to Southampton gives you the opportunity to visit Stonehenge (just 6 miles off your route), and drop into an Salisbury for an hour or more, rather than taking the ring road. Journey time about 1 hour 45.

Add another 15 mins or so if from Salisbury, instead of direct to Southampton (A36), you take the Bournemouth road (A338) as far as Fordingbridge & cut across the New Forest to Cadnam, just outside Southampton.

All those times exclude stops, & you'll want to stop here & there.

...................................................................................................

Yes, the cruise bus

https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/southampton-cruise-tour-transfer-to-london.html

from your ship to Heathrow via Salisbury, Stonehenge & Windsor makes a great deal of sense. Means you'd not need to visit Stonehenge pre-cruise, though IMHO Salisbury is still worth a visit pre-cruise since you'll be passing anyway - though that might depend on what time you crawl out of bed. ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

That sounds a pretty good tour, obviously you have put thought into what you want to see and visit.

I would think about taking the train from London-York and picking up a car there the next day (depending on the one-way fee to drop off at LHR). It's a fairly long drive with a lot of motorway. You could do most of your tour by train quite easily, but having the car for the rest is probably sensible.

One thing to think about for DD is that York is home to the National Centre for Early Music. I am a keen amateur choral singer and have had the good fortune to sing with some of the good folk associated with NCEM (such as The Sixteen and I Fagiolini). It would be worth seeing if they have anything on in York when you are there. ncem.co.uk

Thanks Eagle,

I like the concept of picking up the car in York. We would have to pay the drop off fee at any rate not to talk about the premium for an automatic transmission (don't scoff). On British Rail I see fares from 26 to 196 for now. What would be the best way to get a good fare?

I will look at what is on with NCEM. Thanks

Edited by Maxy Mouse

Sorry, can't help re music, though London is likely to be your best bet because it has much much more than the provinces and you have more flexibility there. Check out the events for the Royal Albert Hall (music school adjoins), & or the South Bank Centre (near your hotel)

The tube to Waterloo (nearest your hotel) involves one change of train.

Or mebbe change at Barons Court (which I believe is a particularly easy change) for a tube to Westminster, then walk or taxi across Westminster Bridge.

York is quite some way out on a limb (200 miles from Heathrow & 150 back to Stratford-upon-Avon) but it's perfectly feasible if you keep to the motorways in order to give yourselves time there and at Stratford. And although you'll not see much (any?) countryside on those two boring motorway journeys, your route can make up for it after Stratford.

For those last three days, throw the GPS out of the window & try to meander such as

Stratford to Oxford via Shipston-on-Stour, Moreton-in-Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold, Chipping Norton, Woodstock (Blenheim Palace?). Takes 90 minutes instead of just under an hour using the M40.

Oxford to Bath perhaps via Burford, Lechlade, Marlborough, Silbury Hill, Avebury Ring, Lacock. 2 hrs 20 mins rather the most direct route at 90 minutes.

Bath to Southampton gives you the opportunity to visit Stonehenge (just 6 miles off your route), and drop into an Salisbury for an hour or more, rather than taking the ring road. Journey time about 1 hour 45.

Add another 15 mins or so if from Salisbury, instead of direct to Southampton (A36), you take the Bournemouth road (A338) as far as Fordingbridge & cut across the New Forest to Cadnam, just outside Southampton.

All those times exclude stops, & you'll want to stop here & there.

...................................................................................................

Yes, the cruise bus

https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/southampton-cruise-tour-transfer-to-london.html

from your ship to Heathrow via Salisbury, Stonehenge & Windsor makes a great deal of sense. Means you'd not need to visit Stonehenge pre-cruise, though IMHO Salisbury is still worth a visit pre-cruise since you'll be passing anyway - though that might depend on what time you crawl out of bed. ;)

John,

Thanks for the details. This should be a great help. I may well just try to meander ( great word. So underused in or rush to get where?)

Looks like a good plan. I recommend getting an automatic transmission and a navigation system.

First, driving on the left is not as bad as it seems, but getting used to shifting with your left hand is just another distraction when you need to focus on the road.

Second, the main highways in England are well marked, but once in the cities, not so. We had a nav system and still got lost a couple of times.

Also, try to avoid driving on the M25 on Friday PM, it is a parking lot.

Thanks. I finally took car of the car. Avis from the city center in York. I emailed our hotel and they said the location is a short walk away. We would return the car to the Southampton airport then find our way to our hotel for one night before going to the ship. DD is a Titanic I believe their is something of interest involving that in the city. Any ideas? Can anyone recommend a hotel?

Thanks. I finally took car of the car. Avis from the city center in York. I emailed our hotel and they said the location is a short walk away. We would return the car to the Southampton airport then find our way to our hotel for one night before going to the ship. DD is a Titanic I believe their is something of interest involving that in the city. Any ideas? Can anyone recommend a hotel?

I hardly ever use the trains, so can't help with best value. I guess you'll have to shop around.

http://www.thetrainline.com/ is one to check, £15 per person incl booking fee is the cheapest I found there (not amendable) on a random date.

However / wherever you buy, you will definitely have to buy in advance to get best value.

Any hotel in Southampton city centre will be convenient for the shops, sights & cruise terminals.

Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Ave (right by the dock gate), plus Grand Harbour, Premier Inn West Quay, Pig in the Wall (newly-opened, rave reviews), Ennios are all walkable to City Cruise Terminal. Otherwise a transfer from any city centre hotel to any cruise terminal will be no more than a £8 taxi hop.

Hol Inn is popular with cruisers because it's right by City cruise terminal & has views over the ship from rear rooms & down Southampton Water from front rooms, but it's rather tired. Premier Inn West Quay is also popular with cruisers, clean & fresh & comfortable, but a rather featureless cloned chain hotel. My preference would be the Mercure Dolphin, an old coaching inn on the High Street - an iconic bit of olde-England, but with the pitfalls of such a building - variable room sizes, sloping floors, rabbit-warren corridors, etc.

Southampton isn't a tourist city, but it has more than enough to interest you for a day.

Sea City museum is Titanic-based.

http://www.seacitymuseum.co.uk/

A well-planned Titanic experience, but with very few actual artefacts.

A memorial to the ship's engineers is nearby in East Park, opposite the War Memorial.

The Grapes is a pub in Oxford Street (plenty of restaurants there), where a number of Titanic's crew got drunk the night before the voyage, & missed the sailing.

Here's a map/background of a suggested walk which include other Titanic sights.

http://www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/uploads/media_items/titanic-trail-map.original.pdf

Just inside the old city wall (which can be walked) are places like the Tudor Merchant's House, the Water Gate, the Medieval Merchant's Store.

Good little air museum a 15 minute walk or 2 min taxi hop.

http://www.solentskymuseum.org/

For Southampton background, basic hotel details & simple little map of hotels/ places of interest/cruise terminals :

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_map.htm

Other useful info on that website.

Southampton airport is just off the M27 motorway, simplest to go straight there rather than drop your bags first.

A taxi from the rank at the airport will cost up to £20, pre-booking will save about £5 but commits you to a time. Mebbe Hertz can call you a "private hire taxi", which is cheaper than one off the rank.

Trains about every 15 mins from airport to Southampton central station cost only about £3 per person, but only worth the saving if your hotel is walkable from the station.

Edited by John Bull

Thanks Eagle,

I like the concept of picking up the car in York. We would have to pay the drop off fee at any rate not to talk about the premium for an automatic transmission (don't scoff). On British Rail I see fares from 26 to 196 for now. What would be the best way to get a good fare?

I will look at what is on with NCEM. Thanks

East Coast trains run from London Kings Cross to York every half hour and they release cheapest advance fares 12 weeks in advance where you are tied to a particular train. If you are a group of at least 3 there is also a group discount

book on eastcoast.co.uk

As Fabnfortysomething said, you should definitely book on the train company's own website which is always the cheapest. Your travel plans are well advanced so if you go to www.eastcoast.co.uk you can set up an alert for the day bookings open for your chosen departure date. Book as soon as you get the email. You can really get some fantastic deals by doing this. We paid £28 for 2 of us from Edinburgh to London and £24 for our return journey.

I usually do a 'dummy run' for a couple of weeks previous to when I'm going so I know roughly what time they send out the emails.

Edited by tartanexile81

For a uniquely British music experience try to catch an Evensong at someplace like Westminster Abby or St. Paul's. Their web sites usually tell who will be singing. We once caught a girl's choral group (young teens) at Westminster. The girls did the entire service. Lovely. Note that these are not concerts. They are church services that are sung. Visitors usually are given an order of service cheat sheet. As they are services they are free. You might also find a good one in Oxford (or elsewhere).

Another thing to check is concerts at St Martin's in the Fields. They have lots of concerts every month and you might find one to your liking while you are in London. Check the web and book now as they often sell out.

There is a lot of small venue music all over Britain with performances in churches and town halls by local groups. Ask at the local tourist office and, as always, check the web.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I just signed up for the alert on train fares from London to York. Our plan is to pick up a rental car in town the next morning then use John Bull's route for stages down to Southampton where we drop the car near the port in the evening, stay at a nearby hotel then get to the ship the next day. After the cruise we have a day before our flight. My thought was to hire a car in the port area and drive to Windsor for the day then overnight in Sunbury on Thames then to Heathrow to drop the car and take a late morning flight home.

Mr. Bull can you suggest a route? Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Hello All,

I just signed up for the alert on train fares from London to York. Our plan is to pick up a rental car in town the next morning then use John Bull's route for stages down to Southampton where we drop the car near the port in the evening, stay at a nearby hotel then get to the ship the next day. After the cruise we have a day before our flight. My thought was to hire a car in the port area and drive to Windsor for the day then overnight in Sunbury on Thames then to Heathrow to drop the car and take a late morning flight home.

Mr. Bull can you suggest a route? Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Yes, in those circumstances renting a car for your post-cruise day would resolve luggage issues, though a private transfer to a hotel in or near Windsor and a shortish taxi hop next day to Heathrow might be easier, might even be competitive on price. The hotel will surely store your luggage if you arrive before check-in time.

For economy that would mean a simple direct transfer ship to hotel - or were you looking to meander some more?;)

You'd want to be in Windsor by about 2pm latest, and the journey is 75 to 120 minutes, depending on time/day of the week.

So it gives little time to visit elsewhere - and you'd miss the changing of the guard at Windsor Castle (11am daily I think). And more attractive alternate routes to Windsor are quite limited.

Would any of these interest you?

Salisbury/Stonehenge - that day if your pre-cruise plans change. Adds about 30 minutes to your journey time. Worth 90 mins plus 60-90 mins.

Winchester - cathedral in historic city centre. Older if perhaps less spectacular cathedral than Salisbury, more up-market & much less laid-back city centre though both are well worth visiting, parking more difficult than Salisbury - and Salisbury's not easy. Worth about 90 mins.

Milestones Museum at Basingstoke - a fairly small but excellently planned series of dioramas (is that the right word?) of local workplaces, vehicles, shops etc from the 19th/early 20th century. Ten minutes off your route, worth 60 to 90 minutes, easy parking in own free car park. Basingstoke itself, formerly a market town, is now a pretty dire London-overspill "new town". Apologies to residents.:o

Whitchurch silk mill. Small but interesting, laid-back. Lovely village setting. Worth an hour or less. Easy parking in own free carpark. Adds about 15 mins to journey time.

Highclere Castle. This is used as TV's Downton Abbey. Don't know it, not my scene. Same route as Whichurch, so adds 15 mins to journey time. Easy parking on-site.

Brooklands Museum. The wold's first purpose-built motor-racing track (1907 to 1930's, though only the clubhouse, various outbuildings & a few sections remain including the incredibly steep banked corner) and home of Britain's flying pioneers. Land speed record holders, racing & other cars & m/cycles, historic aircraft including a Concorde. Worth 1 to 2 hours. Adds about 40 mins to your journey, own free carpark.

Google these places, see what you think.

Or I can suggest a country route adding up to an hour to your journey time, but don't expect anything exceptional.

Edited by John Bull

Forgive me for being slightly off topic but for lovers of choral music and music generally, check out the concerts and FREE recitals at church of St Sepulchre without Newgate (opposite the Old Bailey) - truly beautiful. This church is known as the Musicians Church and is well worth a visit. It is also the resting place of Captain John Smith, first gov of Virginia. Easy reachable from St Paul's and recommended.

Check out Grand Central trains as well, they can be a bit cheaper than East Coast.

One word of warning for York, currently the main bridge (Lendal) over the river has restrictions on when you can drive across. It has been closed from 10:00 to 15:30 each day, including weekends, to cars. £60 fine for driving over it. This was a trial closure to see the effect on traffic, air pollution, etc, however the trial officially ended at the end of February BUT the restrictions are still in place, and there are no plans to remove them. If City of York Council get their way it will be closed from 7:00 - 19:00 each day.

So I just wanted to let you know that so that you can avoid a nasty surprise on your credit card from Avis. Make sure to ask Avis about the restrictions when you pick up the car.

Check out Grand Central trains as well, they can be a bit cheaper than East Coast.

One word of warning for York, currently the main bridge (Lendal) over the river has restrictions on when you can drive across. It has been closed from 10:00 to 15:30 each day, including weekends, to cars. £60 fine for driving over it. This was a trial closure to see the effect on traffic, air pollution, etc, however the trial officially ended at the end of February BUT the restrictions are still in place, and there are no plans to remove them. If City of York Council get their way it will be closed from 7:00 - 19:00 each day.

So I just wanted to let you know that so that you can avoid a nasty surprise on your credit card from Avis. Make sure to ask Avis about the restrictions when you pick up the car.

Heh Dave,

I don't get it. Does that mean we would not be able to legally leave York. I think the car hire office opens at 9. How is this supposed to work?

There are several other bridges. It is quite possible that the hire car place will be on the South of the river in any case.

As for routes, you should stick to main roads. The A64 > A1 > M1 will take you South and are mostly dual carriageways (divided roads) and Motorway (highway). There are no tolls to pay. The speed limit for a car on these roads is 70 mph, although you will see many people going faster.

At the other end there are two possible routes, but I would take the M69 to Coventry, round the bypass (or if you have time - visit the cathedral which was bombed during WW2 - very atmospheric. Then on the A46 to Stratford upon Avon. (Small warning - there is also a 'Stratford' in East London (where the Olympics was).

You will note from the above that all roads (well most roads) have numbers. 'A' roads are main trunk roads and have green signs. 'M' roads are motorways and have blue signs. Local roads have white signs. As was said above, main roads are very well signed, but in towns they can be quite confusing.

Thanks that does put things into prospective. The bridge closing is something to be aware of but panic is not called for. I have taken my chill pill.

I did know about the similar names. We have the same issue here. There is a Montgomery County Maryland (my employer) and Montgomery County Virginia about 200 miles away. Then about an hour north west of us is Frederick Maryland. A bit less than an hour south is Fredericksburg Virginia. Easy for the unaware to find themselves in the wrong place.

Just to add a few thoughts about your drive from York to Stratford. Once you are out of the city, you should find that the roads you use are free running with little congestion (barring hold-ups from accidents). You should hire a 'satnav' (satellite navigation system)with the car and that will not only give you a route, but indicate local attractions. Everywhere in the UK has a postcode (like a zip code) and the satnav will easily find them.

The motorway has three, or in places, four lanes, and since you will be sticking to the speed limits (70 on motorways and dual carriageways, 60 on single carriageways, unless signs say otherwise) you will find plenty of people going faster, so watch out for that when changing lanes to overtake the thrifty car drivers doing 50, or trucks.

Trucks are limited to 56mph maximum, and many are restricted by their owners to less than that. They are not allowed to use the right hand lane on motorways. Overtaking on the 'wrong' nearside is not actually illegal, but most people don't do it.

Motorway service stations are convenient but busy and expensive. Fine for a comfort break, but plan meal stops somewhere nicer if you can.

If you take my suggestion about Coventry Cathedral - have a look at their excellent website - http://www.coventrycathedral.org.uk/about-us/our-reconciliation-ministry/coventry-cathedral-memorial-ruins.php which gives you all the information you could possibly need, including where to park. Warning - the road layout in Coventry is terrible - take your time, and rely on the satnav.

Edited by Bob++