Worried...am I cutting it to close??

SugarHillGirl

Hello all!!

I am on a flight arriving into FLL on Saturday, 2/22 at 11:50 I'm hoping someone can put my mind at ease. Putting aside any major delays with my flight, have I left enough time to get to the POM or am I cutting it too close?

So worried and now regretting I didn't book an earlier flight.

Whew.....way to close IMO, but, we are cruisers that always arrive the day before the cruise. The slightest delay could make you miss your cruise and with the crazy winter weather we've had this year already, any bad weather, even up north, can create delays all over the country. ;)

Have you contacted your airline about changing your flight to something really early in the AM?

Hey SugarHill girl... Braselton here.. I can tell you we flew in the day of our cruise in 2012 and didnt have any problems what so ever.. I was so nervous about it but everything went well. I think at this point you dont really have a choice but to say a prayer and hope for the best. Everything should be ok...

Hello all!!

I am on a flight arriving into FLL on Saturday, 2/22 at 11:50 I'm hoping someone can put my mind at ease. Putting aside any major delays with my flight, have I left enough time to get to the POM or am I cutting it too close?

Welcome to Cruise Critic:

I am one of those arrive same day of cruisers...but I tend to book very early arrival times...Looks like you will probably be on a nonstop from ATL-FLL...Just make sure you have already arranged for private transportation to POM and get going ASAP..If no delays more than likely you'll be fine since it appears that you don't have the option of booking an earlier flight at this point..Best of luck :)

Call the airline and beg your case.

That is nuts.

Sorry but that usually doesn't work..at least it hasn't with my Alaska Airlines flight into YVR this coming May...They cancelled my early arrival and there was no other option besides a 12:30pm arrival...So in this case I did book RCI transfers and was told they (RCI) would guarantee I would get to the ship on time....I've been onboard many times when the ship has waited for late arriving passengers using ship transfers at embarkation....hope it works for all of us on that shuttlebus..:eek:;):)

Hello all!!

Not knowing what time your Ship boards or departs, kind of hard to determine.

Checked the weather for Saturday in Atlanta and do not see any issues there, and not seeing to much severe weather anywhere Saturday morning that would affect the flight?

I would reserve a private car service to be at the terminal waiting for you, and if you can just do carry on luggage, that will save you 20 minutes right there.

Good luck and let us know how things went!

Sorry but that usually doesn't work..at least it hasn't with my Alaska Airlines flight into YVR this coming May...They cancelled my early arrival and there was no other option besides a 12:30pm arrival...So in this case I did book RCI transfers and was told they (RCI) would guarantee I would get to the ship on time....I've been onboard many times when the ship has waited for late arriving passengers using ship transfers at embarkation....hope it works for all of us on that shuttlebus..:eek:;):)

Oh okay. Since you say so the OP shouldn't even attempt to call the airlines and get on an earlier flight.

ATL to FLL is a pretty common route. The OP could even get routed into MIA.

Hello all!!

If you put aside any major flight delays (or flight cancellations, or missed connections, or... :eek:) then you should be okay; from FLL to POM is only about a 40-45 minute trip. SAS, QLS, Go Airport and many others will transport you on a shared shuttle from FLL to POM for about $15+ per person. If your flight is on time (a big IF) you should have your bags and be in a shuttle by 12:30 or so, which will put you at POM by about 1:15.

Normally you need to be at check-in 90 minutes prior to sailing -- which is usually about 4:00 or 4:30. As long as you are at POM before 2:30 you should be fine.

Next time book an earlier flight, or be a smart cruiser and fly in the day before. :cool:

If you put aside any major flight delays (or flight cancellations, or missed connections, or... :eek:) then you should be okay; from FLL to POM is only about a 40-45 minute trip. SAS, QLS, Go Airport and many others will transport you on a shared shuttle from FLL to POM for about $15+ per person. If your flight is on time (a big IF) you should have your bags and be in a shuttle by 12:30 or so, which will put you at POM by about 1:15.

Normally you need to be at check-in 90 minutes prior to sailing -- which is usually about 4:00 or 4:30. As long as you are at POM before 2:30 you should be fine.

Next time book an earlier flight, or be a smart cruiser and fly in the day before. :cool:

Thanks, this is pretty much what I was thinking. Luckily its a direct flight so now worries with having to catch a connecting flight I've called the cruise line and the latest we will be allowed to board is 3pm. The shuttle service I have arranged said I should be fine as well.

This makes me feel a little better. We are looking at booking a flight for May 31 that arrives in FLL at 10:15 AM for a 4:00 PM sail out of POM. (In the past we have always gone a day before, but that isn't going to work for us this time.) It's a direct flight, and that's a low-risk time of year, and it's on Southwest, which has the best on-time record of any domestic airline. I am thinking we should be fine after reading this.

Oh okay. Since you say so the OP shouldn't even attempt to call the airlines and get on an earlier flight.

ATL to FLL is a pretty common route. The OP could even get routed into MIA.

Sorry you misunderstood..I don't believe I advised to "NOT/NEVER" try..rather than it usually doesn't work or at least it hasn't recently for me...which is just a personal experience, nothing more nothing less.