Epic - 8 day Jan 25th cruise notes

kerrytens

I see a few others from my same sailing are doing reviews so I will leave them to fill in the blanks about the 8 days that we shared onboard the Epic.

I want to address a few other things myself - things that seem to have been brought up over and over since her return to the Caribbean.

First off - the staff. I'd read many reviews saying that the crew were rather lacklustre/tired/rude (insert any other adjective you'd like that would imply less than stellar attitudes). Well, let me say that I never experienced ANY of that at all. As a matter of fact, I have nothing but praise for every single crewmember that crossed my path. I have never filled out so many 'hero' cards as I did on this cruise. We even had a few of the staff say hello to us while on their own time onshore.

What I did see, sadly, was many rude passengers who seemed to be taking their frustrations out on a crewmember or two. I can certainly say that if I was berated for doing something that was quite often beyond my control, I'd clam up too and become distant. A smile and a thank you went a long way with them ... as it does in my everyday life too. I felt bad for many of the crew.

Second note of late - movement. Well, it is true. The Epic really is moving way more than it did in 2011 on my first cruise on the ship. The biggest seas I remember seeing were just over 8' so not bad at all. We rocked and rolled our way through the Caribbean for 8 days!! Not saying that it was really bad but I wanted to prepare those who may experience even a bit of motion sickness that you may want to bring meds to ease the symptoms.

Now, as for my cruise - it was THE most amazing time for my family and I. I would not hesitate to book this ship again ... oh wait, I already have!!! I plan on spending 14 lovely days onboard her again this October as she makes one final Western TA.

I'm really going to miss this ship when she moves permanently to Europe. NCL should be very proud of her!!! And most of all, they should be even more proud of the crew that are currently working very hard onboard her right now too.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll see if I can answer them.

Edited by kerrytens

. . . As a matter of fact, I have nothing but praise for every single crewmember that crossed my path. I have never filled out so many 'hero' cards as I did on this cruise.

. . . movement. Well, it is true. The Epic really is moving way more than it did in 2011 on my first cruise on the ship.

Now, as for my cruise - it was THE most amazing time for my family and I.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll see if I can answer them.

Welcome back, and BRAVO on having a great vacation cruise experience!! :D

Hoping that most of that wonderful crew will still be onboard for the 2/23 sailing. I enjoy handing filling those well-deserved Vacation Hero cards, and the most ever on the last sailing (Dawn), a very short while after the only sailing that I've never filled out one (Breakaway)

Regarding the ship movement . . . do you remember if it was more of a front-to-back tilting, or more side-to-side, or perhaps the infamous 'rolling' that gets to so many who normally have strong stomachs??

Again, so glad to have you report it was a great time at sea. :)

Welcome back, and BRAVO on having a great vacation cruise experience!! :D

Hoping that most of that wonderful crew will still be onboard for the 2/23 sailing. I enjoy handing filling those well-deserved Vacation Hero cards, and the most ever on the last sailing (Dawn), a very short while after the only sailing that I've never filled out one (Breakaway)

Regarding the ship movement . . . do you remember if it was more of a front-to-back tilting, or more side-to-side, or perhaps the infamous 'rolling' that gets to so many who normally have strong stomachs??

Again, so glad to have you report it was a great time at sea. :)

Don, it was definitely a side to side roll. It would roll to one side and then hang there for a few seconds until it rolled to the other side. I slept on the couch one night (so my head and feet were going in the same direction of the rolls). I had to get up and take a pill:eek::eek: And it was far from the first pill that I had to take too - yikes! I'm usually fine 24 hours in but not this time. I spent a lot of time outdoors:o

Enjoy your cruise on my favourite ship. I hope that you get to experience the same crew too. They exceeded my expectations!!

Don, it was definitely a side to side roll. It would roll to one side and then hang there for a few seconds until it rolled to the other side. I slept on the couch one night (so my head and feet were going in the same direction of the rolls). I had to get up and take a pill:eek::eek: And it was far from the first pill that I had to take too - yikes! I'm usually fine 24 hours in but not this time. I spent a lot of time outdoors:o

Enjoy your cruise on my favourite ship. I hope that you get to experience the same crew too. They exceeded my expectations!!

I didn't notice it there being more movement than the last time we sailed (in 2012), but then I don't get seasick, so maybe that is why. I can still feel the slight rolling of the ship four days after disembarking, but I felt it for more than a week last time, so that is normal for me. It was so good to meet you, kerrytens, I wish we were joining you on the TA. Maybe another time!

Thanks for your report.

What do you think would cause a ship to roll, move or rock more as it ages? Do you think Epic is experiencing any serious problems? I only ask because I've read a few reports about this subject and I have final payment due Sunday on the April transatlantic. If it was bad with eight foot waves, the Atlantic may be a little too much for me. Not even in terms of physically too much, but more so I don't want to spend 11 days thinking we're getting ready to roll :eek:

It's far from my first cruise, but is my first transatlantic.

We were on your the same cruise and also had a wonderful time. What deck was your stateroom on? We were on 12 (12241 which is a great B6 with large balcony) and I honestly only noticed ship motion a couple of times the entire cruise. I am prone to car and seasickness and generic bonine is my friend but I only took it on the days we were going to do land tours .... had no need for it otherwise. I'm not questioning or doubting your experience, just wondering if stateroom location was the difference.

I was also wondering what deck you were on. We were in a balcony on deck 12 and only noticed some of that type movement on the night we left St. Maarten. It was smooth sailing the rest of the week for us. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to, having never been on the ship before.

Edited by medicalma'am

Gee, now I'm wondering if I'm just super sensitive to the motion. LOL!!!

We were in a mini suite on deck 12 forward. And while I know that higher up and more forward and aft gives the most movement, I am the complete opposite for some reason. Lower down and central makes me terribly seasick. I need to be up high and not midship. Guess that explains it then, I am odd :o:p

The the person going on the TA, I'm booked on the October one and it certainly wasn't enough to make me consider backing out. Just bring your meds, just in case. You'll be fine. Have fun too!!!

I was on the 1/18 Epic cruise. It was my first cruise, so I have no reference point, but I really felt the ship moving. Part of it had to do with our cabin location (17010 -- high and pretty far forward). I noticed it less as I went lower in the ship. However, one night at Howl at the Moon, one of the piano players stopped and asked, "Did everyone just feel that or am I really drunk already?" We all felt it.

I was also on the 1/18 cruise-hi, Brooke!-and in my blog noted the rocking. It was especially high on sea day 3. It was the most rocking I've noticed on any of my cruises.

However,instead of complaining about the Epic, I had another thought...one I've yet to research....but I wonder if it's the Caribbean at this time of the year? I keep meaning to venture onto other cruise line threads and see if there are any reports of rocking around the timeframe of my cruise. It could very well be the Epic,but it bears researching the weather in general. If anyone has feedback on other lines during the last fee weeks,feel free to add.

OP,glad you enjoyed your cruise! If I recall,you did the Mediterranean one as well,right? I thought I remembered reading a review of yours on that route before I went on my western med cruise.

Stacey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP,glad you enjoyed your cruise! If I recall,you did the Mediterranean one as well,right? I thought I remembered reading a review of yours on that route before I went on my western med cruise.

Stacey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh, I wish I could say that I have done a Med cruise ... perhaps now that my Epic is moving there permanentally I will need to make that happen though.

Oh heck, it is probably in the making somehow!

I noticed the ship movement too. I was told that was normal as it's less motion along a coast (e.g., AK cruise or Med. cruise) and more motion in the middle of the ocean or sea. Had to take a pill every 12 hours just to be safe!

Edited by sooper

My wife and I were on this sailing as well. we were an aft facing balcony on deck 11. We noticed a lot of motion the day heading to st Thomas and the trip back westbound. The other days I didn't really notice it. The ship was awesome including the crew. We both had a blast but like everyone else I thought the motion was annoying at times. One crew member I was talking to said whenever we were going perpendicular to the wind the movement was a lot worse and I definitely agreed with that.