Tipping question but not about the amount

2red4u

My question is how is it done? I understand the standard 12.50 a day pp covers most. But we have a suite and will be using the butler for room service meals. Do we hand him/her cash last day? Are there envelopes? Also for the other people like concierge and room steward( don't even know what that person does). I figure if it's the butler that brings meals a few bucks but not if it's the bluet as he will get a large on at the end. Waitstaff is up to us if we feel they did above and beyond, right? What about housekeeping? We always leave a small tip daily for our cleaners in hotel as we usually ask for extra towels or toiletries. Is that the same on a cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My question is how is it done? I understand the standard 12.50 a day pp covers most. But we have a suite and will be using the butler for room service meals. Do we hand him/her cash last day? Are there envelopes? Also for the other people like concierge and room steward( don't even know what that person does). I figure if it's the butler that brings meals a few bucks but not if it's the bluet as he will get a large on at the end. Waitstaff is up to us if we feel they did above and beyond, right? What about housekeeping? We always leave a small tip daily for our cleaners in hotel as we usually ask for extra towels or toiletries. Is that the same on a cruise?

I don't know about $12.50 per day but we just paid $12 per person per day this past weekend. We hand the various people cash at the end of the trip. You can get envelopes at Guest Services if you'd like.

Your room steward is housekeeping and maintains and refreshes your cabin, and yes it's the same on a cruise. You can leave them a tip at the end; some people give them a tip earlier. The butler also stocks the coffee machine and a few other things. The concierge I suppose you'd tip according to how often you used their services.

Have fun!

Edited by mizlorinj

The daily service charge covers everyone but your butler and concierge. If you choose to leave additional tips for those covered by the DSC, you certainly may. I'm sure everybody is different, but we tip the waitstaff at the end of the dinner because we never know if we will see them later. We would also tip a little extra if we had a good bartender on a particular bar. We generally give extra to the room steward (if he or she has been good) on the last full day of the cruise, but that is totally your discretion.

If you use your butler and concierge you should tip as they are not included in the DSC. Envelopes are not provided, but you can get plain envelopes from guest services. We tipped our butler and concierge on the last full day (i.e. the day before disembarkation). We did not tip the butler each time he brought us something, but saved it all for the last day.

Everyone except the butler and concierge are covered under the DSC charge. Of course, you are welcome to tip your room steward, waiters, etc., more if you choose.

Envelopes are available at the front desk. You can also tip the butler and concierge via the front desk by having the amount charged to your onboard account. The tipped amount is credited to the employee's account. The front desk will give you a slip of paper (receipt) which you can present to the butler or concierge, as your thank-you.

Most people tip the butler, concierge and steward at the end of the cruise, but you can certainly do whatever you want. They will gladly accept it!

Is acceptable for my teens to tip the "kids" staff themselves on the last night? If of course they actually go and have a great time We have always had them give a tip themselves when getting their hair done or occasional nails. I apologize for the noob questions but I really don't want to look like an idiot on our first cruise.

Is acceptable for my teens to tip the "kids" staff themselves on the last night? If of course they actually go and have a great time We have always had them give a tip themselves when getting their hair done or occasional nails. I apologize for the noob questions but I really don't want to look like an idiot on our first cruise.

Yes I think that the teens thanking and tipping the staff is appropriate and a very nice gesture as well.:)

So to get this straight we can hand cash over or an envelope the last full day, to butler and other a pertaining to suite. If we want to give extra to waitstaff, or bartender we can leave extra tip at table or find them last full day. And leaving a daily tip in suite for housekeeping is acceptable. I'll be honest I feel a little self conscious about seeking someone out to give them a tip but if it's the norm then "bottoms up" it's how it's done. And I can deal with that, myself. Can I get an amen sister you got the hang of it now.

So to get this straight we can hand cash over or an envelope the last full day, to butler and other a pertaining to suite. If we want to give extra to waitstaff, or bartender we can leave extra tip at table or find them last full day. And leaving a daily tip in suite for housekeeping is acceptable. I'll be honest I feel a little self conscious about seeking someone out to give them a tip but if it's the norm then "bottoms up" it's how it's done. And I can deal with that, myself. Can I get an amen sister you got the hang of it now.

Yes to all. But be aware that a 15% gratuity is already included in all your bar purchases, and also that your room steward (for housekeeping) is already covered in the DSC. If leaving something extra for the room steward (we usually do if they are providing great service), most people do it at the end of the cruise rather than each day. You will have the same room steward throughout the cruise, in case you were not aware.

Thank you actually I wasn't aware I would have the same room steward. I know we always need extra towels(3 female all long hair) and toiletries. And l can admit my 2 teens that are not the most tidiest. I want to make certain they know we appreciate them.

I always buy thank you notes before I cruise and place my tip in the card and give it to them the last full day of cruise. Disembarkation day is crazy and some staff leave on that day. I let them know how much I appreciate their work and address the envelope to them, it makes it seem so easy. Also my butler was amazing bringing me food showing me how to use the coffee machine sometimes making me cappuccino. She was wonderful, I was sick and she would call my suite to make sure I was ok bring me crackers ginger ale anything I needed or wanted. You can also let your butler know your preference for afternoon snacks and she will adjust them. I had a small breakfast gathering in my suite and she fixed up the dining area and was incredible. My concierge made my resevations for dinner even if they were booked up and got me on and off the ship priority. They truy make your cruise. I also tipped extra to my room steward she was sweet and kind and always around. Enjoy your cruise

you will have the same room steward and tipping them a little extra at the end of the cruise is great. Yu can also explain you will need extra towels when you meet them or tell your butler and they will make sure you have plenty of towels. You wont have the same waitstaff in the restaurants tho

You get get envelopes at the concierge desk as well. We put cash in the envelopes and hand them personally to the staff the last night/day. (Concierge, butler, room steward, etc)

For the bar staff, we prefer to tip at the time we get the drink.

As others have stated the DSC covers all of the wait staff and room stewards - you may tip extra as you want - there is a place on the slip you sign for adding a tip.

The butler and concierge are usually tipped at the end of the cruise - others have mentioned envelopes - you can also go to the purser's desk and have them make out a voucher in their name - the amount is added to your onboard account - so you don't need any cash.

As for the kids club I agree that with older kids having them give out the tip is a great idea.

Always best to personally hand the tip envelope with the persons name on it if

you remember it.

Do not leave it laying loose the last day of the cruise for any other person to

scoop up.

In waiting for my debarkation call I have noticed cruisers visiting suites and

other high end cabins to see how the other half has lived - don't give anyone

an opportunity to deprive the stateroom attendant his fair tip. I did not say

I observed this being done but careless tip envelopes left out can be an awful

invitation/temptation !

Don't let others stiff your cabin steward leaving him/her with an impression

that their service was not up to par or lacking something !

I like the idea of buying "Thank you" cards before leaving home. The most recent ones said, "Thank you for your Awesomeness" and I thought they were really cute.

I wrote a little note for each person, butler, concierge and steward (yes, I know the steward is included in the DSC) and left the cards with the customer service rep. our last evening.

Thank you actually I wasn't aware I would have the same room steward. I know we always need extra towels(3 female all long hair) and toiletries. And l can admit my 2 teens that are not the most tidiest. I want to make certain they know we appreciate them.

Just to clarify a bit - The daily service charge is added to everyone's onboard account. Since you are in a suite, your cabin steward will receive his part of the daily service charge.

Your butler and concierge are not included in the DSC pool. You will tip them using envelopes that can be picked up at Guest Services. I like to bring Thank You cards and write a little something along with $$$$$.

The amount you tip the butler and concierge is up to you but I base it on the amount of service received.

Anytime you order a drink/soft drink/bottled water, an automatic 15 percent gratuity is added to the bill. If you want to add an additional amount, you may add it to the receipt.

We were on Epic last week in mini-suite. I gave steward $20.00 the first day when we met him and added some on last morning.

I had not done this before, but I tipped at least once in the MDR and in a couple of the specialty restaurants, because the service was great.

In the specialty restaurant I added it to the bill, but asked the waiter to be sure he would receive it. He told me NCL pays them their extra tips every two weeks.

When I first started cruising, I was under the impression that some of the surcharge went to the specialty restaurant staff.

Since you have the same cabin steward the entire cruise, just tell him the first day how many towels you need daily and he will always leave you that many.

Cabins are serviced both morning and evening, so whatever towels you use in the morning will be replaced at evening service (usually during dinner time). That is something you do not get in hotels.