Tough choice -- Westerdam or Amsterdam 7-day Alaska RT from Seattle

CowPrincess

I'm pretty close to getting DH to agree to a 7 day RT out of Seattle to Alaska. Am looking at the itins, and it will have to be Westerdam or Amsterdam. If I actually get him convinced this will be my 2nd trip to Alaska for the 2014 season :D

Amsterdam 7-day RT goes to Tracy Arm (HUGE plus for DH). Amsterdam is also showing a bit longer port time for Sitka (another huge plus for DH).

But we really, really enjoyed the Noordam the one time we sailed on her.

I'm actually fine with either itin, and I'm one of the ones who always says "Alaska is about the trip, NOT the ship". But I'm rather leaning toward the Westerdam. Prices are surprisingly similar, based on what I've seen on the HAL website.

I can't believe I'm even considering this based on which ship I prefer, yet I am!

Does anyone have any input? Any thoughts? I need to have my thoughts organized before I sit down with DH for further discussion!

I'm pretty close to getting DH to agree to a 7 day RT out of Seattle to Alaska. Am looking at the itins, and it will have to be Westerdam or Amsterdam. If I actually get him convinced this will be my 2nd trip to Alaska for the 2014 season :D

Amsterdam 7-day RT goes to Tracy Arm (HUGE plus for DH). Amsterdam is also showing a bit longer port time for Sitka (another huge plus for DH).

But we really, really enjoyed the Noordam the one time we sailed on her.

I'm actually fine with either itin, and I'm one of the ones who always says "Alaska is about the trip, NOT the ship". But I'm rather leaning toward the Westerdam. Prices are surprisingly similar, based on what I've seen on the HAL website.

I can't believe I'm even considering this based on which ship I prefer, yet I am!

Does anyone have any input? Any thoughts? I need to have my thoughts organized before I sit down with DH for further discussion!

WE have elected the Amsterdam, love that ship, and the size of it! Love Tracy Arm, and Sitka.... We will be going in August this year..... have not been on the Westerdam, since the 1980s, and I think they cut it and stretched it the year after we were on her, unless she is a completely new ship, since then.

We have been on Amsterdam 3 times before, and just love her..... so again this year, we choose Amsterdam.

We did the Westerdam last year and are booked on the 6/15 Amsterdam, only to try a smaller ship and we are taking our parents. We were surprised that the prices for both were about the same as usually the Amsterdam runs a few $100 more for a suite. We loved the Westerdam and although only our 3rd HAL cruise (Eurodam and N. Amsterdam before) we felt the service was the best on board compared to the other ships, especially in the Pinnacle and MDR.

We didnt eat in the Lido so can't comment on that, the spa was excellent and the overall condition of the ship was wonderful.

This is a different Westerdam than was sailing in the 1980s and 1990s.

We too have always enjoyed the "little" ships, but after the Noordam, I have to say that class has a lot of charm ;)

We just got off the Noordam, in January, I agree it is a nice ship, but I prefer a little smaller, no complaints against the Noordam, we have sailed her twice, we had a balcony on the Noordam and I found that cabin missing the 3 drawers by the makeup desk!!

We have done Alaska on both ships (Westerdam 7 night and Amsterdam 14 night) and I would have no problem repeating Alaska on either ship. Amsterdam just went through a dry-dock in December so both ships will be in great shape for Alaska. I'd pick based on itinerary and cost and not the ship because either will be wonderful. (BTW, you are in Sitka for 8 hrs on both ships.)

Alaska twice in one season?? JEALOUS!!! :p

Since it's DH who needs the encouragement, and you already have a cruise to Alaska booked, I would suggest you go with the Amsterdam this time---it's what DH would prefer.

Not only would DH be more encouraged to agree, but you would get a smaller ship, with a more intimate feel. It's much easier to get from place to place on the ship, which is very nice when you are trying to get that "it's happening now" view from a preferred spot.

I hope you can convince DH. Good luck.

I would choose the Amsterdam. Don't care for the desk area on the Vistas class ships. No drawers unless you are in a suite. I too love Sitka and Tracy Arm. You should be safe at the time of year you plan to go to Tracy Arm.

Either way, enjoy your cruise. You are lucky to still have a husband to think about. Mine passed away in 1998.