Another "which would you choose" question

sc71

Apologies in advance for another of those "which one would you choose" threads, but I REALLY need your help!

I'm having an awful time making a decision, and another thread along these same lines has made it all the more difficult, so I need your assistance and patience :)

We currently have a deposit on Carnival Dream sailing out of New Orleans in late June. Due to my obsession in planning and researching, I have read everything I can find on the Dream and the ports.

During this time, I read about the Navigator of the Seas dry-dock and started wondering. Bottom line is - we can sail on the Navigator out of Galveston, leaving exact same date. Ports are slightly different but still western which we have never done. Price is comparable so that is not a factor.

We have sailed both Carnival (Glory) and Royal (Enchantment of the Seas). We LOVED the comedy club and the trivia on the Glory. We found the food much better on the Enchantment. Our son LOVED the honey stung chicken and probably ordered it twice a day from room service.

The Navigator has more to offer in terms of amenities - ice rink, climbing wall, flow rider, which the kids would enjoy all. The Dream has the water slides.

The drive is long for us (from Ontario) to either port, but Galveston is a haul for sure. Being as the price point is the same (one balcony, one inside on the Dream and two connecting Promenade rooms on the Navigator), I am debating if we should grab the Navigator for its lower price at this time, since typically the large Royal ships are out of our budget range.

These are the pros and cons that are tumbling (!!!) around my head and I can't seem to fall on a choice.

Anyhow, ANY advice would be appreciated!!

The upgrades during the month long drydock for the Navigator look absolutely fantastic. Supposedly you'll get a taste of some of the new features that will be available on the Quantum, including the virtual balcony staterooms.

We had a great time on the Dream, but if I could experience the updated Navigator for about the same price as the Dream, I'd go with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

The upgrades during the month long drydock for the Navigator look absolutely fantastic. Supposedly you'll get a taste of some of the new features that will be available on the Quantum, including the virtual balcony staterooms.

We had a great time on the Dream, but if I could experience the updated Navigator for about the same price as the Dream, I'd go with that.

I agree. Our cabin on the Explorer of the Seas (promenade) was super small, but we loved the amenities on that class. Have fun either way. btw - what a LONG drive. :eek:

Thank you - yes, it is a long drive and with Galveston further than NO, it's part of what makes the decision difficult.

Did you ever wish you could create the "perfect" cruise - take the parts you like from one, parts from another, etc and blend it into the perfect ship, ports and pricing?

I think the biggest thing for me is that Carnival has really got a good thing with the comedy club and the trivia, both of which are things that hubby and I really enjoy.

I lean to the Navigator for all the reasons that you have given, but then part of me leans back to the Dream for just those two things. Can you really pick a cruise on comedy and trivia???

Is the price still comparable when you look at a balcony and an inside on the NOS?

I've never sailed on RCL, but looking at their deckplans it appears that the Promenade cabins are considered inside cabins, even though they apparently have a window that looks over the Royal Promenade.

I have always sailed Carnival and cannot speak to anything about the NOS, however as you said it is usually out of your budget and the kids would enjoy those other activities (rock wall and ice rink), i would do NOS this time because you would go back to Carnival again for the price, so why not just do NOS this time knowing Carnival and the Comedy and Trivia would be next....IMHO

Happy sailing :D

Can you really pick a cruise on comedy and trivia???

Comedy is as good as the comedians performing on the specific week you're sailing on. How disappointed would you be if you picked based on the comedy club and the comedians happen to suck that week? I've been to great comedy and I've been to terrible comedy even on the same sailing. I would not let comedy or trivia be a deciding factor, specially when both cruise lines offer these two forms of entertainment.

Edited by Tapi

I also have never sailed on Royal, but we love the Dream. Our favorite part is the cloud 9 spa amenities. I'm not sure if the NOS has something comparable or not. That said, if the price were close, I'd lean toward NOS more for your kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If pricing the inside and balcony on NOS, the price is not comparable; however, due to the no smoking policy on Royal, my husband will not pay for a balcony on Royal. We have always sailed interior cabins, so the promenade rooms are actually a step up in our opinion :)

The connecting promenade rooms on NOS make more sense to me, as on the Dream we currently have rooms across the hall from each other; albeit one is a balcony and it would be our first time EVER not in an inside room.

See?? Too many factors for both ships! arghhh :o

The ports on the Dream are Cozumel, Montego Bay and Grand Cayman. The Royal ports are Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. Does this make any huge difference? We have never been to any of them.

• 5 years later...

Go with the Navigator! Wirh the new upgrades you will love it! I have been on the Dream out of NO. It was nice but a one time thing. 

You will be happier trying something new and different. Galveston is on the Caribbean. It took some 8 hours of murky brown water on the Mississippi to get to the Caribbean. I like seeing the beautiful blue water getting on the ship and get like it was nice but a waste of cruise time. 

The snorkeling on Roatan at West Bay Beach surpasses all the places we’ve been to in the Caribbean. We did the day pass at Bananarama and it was in the perfect spot to snorkel. They pick you up just outside the port and bring you back when you want. It cost like $35/person. You CANNOT best the price. Leave your bags on your chairs guarded by their security, walk to the left just a little (in front of the beautiful Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Hotel) and walk out into the water. It will not disappoint. 

It will be worth the longer drive to the port and the increase in money. Trust me! 😊

Edited by Greek cruiser