Shoes in dining room

Depending on the night, I saw most wearing shoes that went with their attire. Formal night everyone wore dress shoes. Other nights more casual, even sneakers. I don't recall anyone wearing open toed shoes or sandels in the Main Dining room, but lots of people wearing them in the Windjammer. I brought two pairs of shoes(dress,deck), a pair of sneakers, a pair of Tevas, and some flipflops(for the pool\sauna)

I bring three pairs of shoes... a pair of sneakers, a pair of sandals, and a pair of docksiders. And if anyone on the ship has nothing better to do than to look at my feet, and the feet of "everyone" who is walking into the dining room on formal night so be it.

I bring three pairs of shoes... a pair of sneakers, a pair of sandals, and a pair of docksiders. And if anyone on the ship has nothing better to do than to look at my feet, and the feet of "everyone" who is walking into the dining room on formal night so be it.

That seems to be the perfect selection of shoes...

I would agree! My son and I both wear size 13 shoes, so if we each had to pack 4 pairs, we would need a steamer trunk for the shoes alone! Black walking shoes clean up just fine for formal night.

I don't agree with those that think it's OK to wear sneakers in the main dining room. No matter what shoe size you are, you should be able to find comfortable leather (black or brown) shoes that complement a nice pair of slacks and shirt. Leave the sneakers for the gym! I think it's great that you want to prepare your sons (especially if they're teenagers) in order for them to dress appropriately since it's never too early to teach our children proper etiquette. Good luck with your shoe selection and have a great cruise!

I think you should wear flip flops, if they're good enough for the White House, then..............lol.

Let's not go there! That discussion already got one thread "poofed" earlier.

I don't agree with those that think it's OK to wear sneakers in the main dining room. No matter what shoe size you are, you should be able to find comfortable leather (black or brown) shoes that complement a nice pair of slacks and shirt. Leave the sneakers for the gym! I think it's great that you want to prepare your sons (especially if they're teenagers) in order for them to dress appropriately since it's never too early to teach our children proper etiquette. Good luck with your shoe selection and have a great cruise!
Etiquette rules are fine and dandy, but have you ever tried to find a pair of men's size 15 shoes -- let alone several different pairs for different occasions? Especially knowing that they'll be worn only once or twice?

I was not referring to "athletic shoes" -- rather a black leather or suede walking shoe, which will serve for many occaisions. No one will be able to notice a difference unless they look very closely...boys feet grow so quickly, it wouldn't make much sense to invest in dress shoes they only wear once. We have done the walking shoe thing on previous cruises, and received compliments on how handsome our sons looked on formal night.

Etiquette rules are fine and dandy, but have you ever tried to find a pair of men's size 15 shoes -- let alone several different pairs for different occasions? Especially knowing that they'll be worn only once or twice?

I'm not sure about New Jersey, but here in New Orleans finding size 15 or 16 shoes is not a problem; we even have several stores that specialize in Big&Tall apparel and footwear. I sold shoes for many years and was able to order big sizes in most styles if a customer could not get a good fit with what was in stock in the store. And why would you wear a nice pair of black or brown casual leather shoes only "once or twice"? Are you planning on becoming a hermit after your cruise?

Boy you people are quite brutal. If you are too busy looking at what others are wearing, you must be one heck of a nosy person. My boyfriend and I have been on 4 cruises and we do not go around staring at people. A cruise is suppose to be about having fun and enjoying your vacation. Anytime we have been in the dining room, we sit at our assigned table and mind our own business. We see things we don't agree with, but we don't go around downgrading people or stare at them the entire dinner. You people need to mind your own business, and start enjoying life. I say wear whatever you want, if people don't like it tough luck, At least the rest of us will be eating our dinner while it's hot...LOL...

I'm not sure about New Jersey, but here in New Orleans finding size 15 or 16 shoes is not a problem; we even have several stores that specialize in Big&Tall apparel and footwear. I sold shoes for many years and was able to order big sizes in most styles if a customer could not get a good fit with what was in stock in the store. And why would you wear a nice pair of black or brown casual leather shoes only "once or twice"? Are you planning on becoming a hermit after your cruise?

Funny about New Orleans..... We went there for two days pre-cruise and I ended up buying 3 pairs of shoes. I still wear them all :)

Bobbie

What shoes have most of the men worn in the dining room? I am cruising with my family and want to prepare my sons for the proper dinner attire.

Ali

Good for you for asking this question and for preparing your sons for doing what is proper! It will serve them well in later life.

My DH wears dress shoes on formal nights and a more casual shoe, not flip flops or sneakers, on the other nights.

I would agree! My son and I both wear size 13 shoes, so if we each had to pack 4 pairs, we would need a steamer trunk for the shoes alone! Black walking shoes clean up just fine for formal night.

Whale, Whale, Whale.............has no one EVER taught you how to pack??? ;) You take those lovely size 13 boats and put stuff IN them - socks, underwear, deodorant stick, small bottles, etc. They REALLY don't take up "extra" room. As a matter of fact, they make a WONDERFUL shock-proof container for other things!

;)

Carol

No, wer're not planning on becoming hermits, but we're talking shoes for a growing teenager here, not a grown man. I have a hard enough time finding him sneakers that he deems "cool" in size 15. Having to find multiple pairs is nearly impossible, not to mention QUITE costly. If you'd care to purchase a few pairs in New Orleans and ship them up here, I'd be more than happy to accept the gift!

Whale, Whale, Whale.............has no one EVER taught you how to pack??? ;) You take those lovely size 13 boats and put stuff IN them - socks, underwear, deodorant stick, small bottles, etc. They REALLY don't take up "extra" room. As a matter of fact, they make a WONDERFUL shock-proof container for other things!

;)

Carol

That's fine for me, but I'm afraid that we would need to burn anything that was stuffed inside of my son's shoes!:eek: My black shoes really do look very dressy, they just happen to be made by birkenstock, so they are amazingly comfortable, and I can also use them as walking shoes in port. My wife's rhinestone and black patent leather birkenstocks (I kid you not) are strictly for formal night, however!

My son brought 3 pairs, tennis, brown casual and a pair of black casual both were leather. We purchased a foam pad shoe shinner from Walmart. You just run that over the shoes before the dinner and they look brand new.

I've never understood why any thread about dress raises such emotion. The cruise line suggests what they would like you to wear. They then list what you may not wear. They allow you to wear what is in between those two. I can't change that and neither can anyone else on these boards. So if you wear what they allow, you won't ruin my cruise. Of course, I wish they would outlaw men that look like me from wearing speedos. It's hard on the appetite.

Boy you people are quite brutal. If you are too busy looking at what others are wearing, you must be one heck of a nosy person. My boyfriend and I have been on 4 cruises and we do not go around staring at people. A cruise is suppose to be about having fun and enjoying your vacation. Anytime we have been in the dining room, we sit at our assigned table and mind our own business. We see things we don't agree with, but we don't go around downgrading people or stare at them the entire dinner. You people need to mind your own business, and start enjoying life. I say wear whatever you want, if people don't like it tough luck, At least the rest of us will be eating our dinner while it's hot...LOL...

Don't worry, as soon as you go on your fifth cruise and attain Platinum Crown & Anchor status you will automatically become a snob like the rest of us. You will then sit at dinner and stare down your nose at the people wearing sneakers, even though it is casual night. You will become obsessed with why all these trashy people have the nerve to sit in YOUR dining room......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived