Laundry questions - first time Celebrity cruiser

tinkmom

Threads like this always crack me up. On the one hand you have people complaining about the high cost of cruising and on the other hand people are complaining about the cost of doing laundry. If I washed every single thing that need to be washed I can't even imagine possibly spending hundred dollars which relative to the cost of the cruise itself is minimal.

We do rewear when appropriate, and bring enough evening wear so that we have something different for every night, so it's a matter of underclothes, tees, shorts, etc. I don't think I ever spent over $50 before we became Elite, which is a small price to pay for the service IMO. People are paying a thousand dollars or more for a drink package, for heaven's sake, something I wouldn't even consider!!

The only problem I have with laundry rooms is order to make them work on large ships they have to be on each floor and located near the cabins. I don't know how many of the laundry room fans have ever had a cabin near one, but my first and last experience was on a Princess ship.

It was a non-stop parade of people traipsing up and down the hallway opening and closing the door, having loud conversations with each other and on occasion, ready for a knock down drag out fight over someone removing their clothing from the dryer. Not pleasant. I think that the laundry room lovers should be required to stay in the cabins near the laundry rooms.;)

I've never understood these type of threads either. I either take enough clothes so nothing needs washing or I use the laundry. I think the prices are amazing - so cheap. Why would anyone worry about having their undies washed by someone else? Totally creeped out? I really don't get it.

I carry both the travel clothes line and a great little plastic hanger with a dozen clothes pins attached I found at Storables in the Laundry Department. It hangs anywhere and our undies are taken care of. I also have small packets of Woolite. I don't mind sending out the rest of the laundry. One other thing, we're on the B2B for 29 days this fall, and I'd like to pick up some extra hangers in Rome to add to our closet on board. Do any of you repeat cruisers out of Rome know of any Target type stores that I can pick up necessities that I don't want to stuff in my suitcase? Mahalo

Find a GS Grocery Store. They are all over Rome and have everything you will need at low prices, even wine :)

I usually try not to do laundry on cruises, but have had to twice and I too prefer a laundry room. It's not the cost but I would rather wash my jeans and shirts myself. I don't care who washes them but I dry them a certain way so they won't shrink.

But, I booked my first celebrity cruise to Alaska without investigating the laundry, lol. Didn't upset me at all. I'll make it work somehow.

Might just pay extra and dry clean my jeans and a shirt or two. We will be traveling for 15 days all together and clothes might get wet, dirty, sweaty.

I've never understood these type of threads either. I either take enough clothes so nothing needs washing or I use the laundry. I think the prices are amazing - so cheap. Why would anyone worry about having their undies washed by someone else? Totally creeped out? I really don't get it.

I love posts that make sense. +1

On the creepout factor, having my clothes mingled with strangers undies, etc is gross. I would much rather do the sink thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL -- you do realize that those sheets and towels (and dining room linens) you are using have been

-- used by others, and

-- washed with lots of other linens, that have been used by others. :eek:

The linens are washed in hot water with bleach, and should not be compared to other laundry. As far as the rest of the laundry, obviously some people are willing to send their laundry out and pay whatever it costs, and some prefer to do their own for a variety of reasons. Some people bring a ton of luggage, and others don't care to lug giant suitcases all over Europe, so manage to pack light. Each to his or her own. Let's leave all to their own opinions without judgement. We will all do whatever makes us comfortable. It's vacation, after all!

• 3 months later...

Thanks to the OP for coming back and updating. I found this thread by searching for the same info as the OP needed. We will be on Infinity in a week or two and another M class in the spring. At least those have clotheslines! In both cases there is a land tour prior to boarding so we'll be loaded with dirty laundry when we board. Glad our 35 day cruise in the summer is on a ship with a self service laundry.

I doubt we can carry enough clothes for a month and it's rare to find a hotel abroad with laundry facilities. DH did hike a few miles in the UK and did our laundry before going on a tour a few years ago, but I doubt we'd want to do that where language is a problem for us....Chile and China.

I'm not surprised there are no self serve laundries as most newer ships do not have them. I love those as they make packing for long cruises/trips so much easier. I also like the bag specials which are available on all the other lines we cruise. We get free laundry on the line we are high level cruisers. What level begins to get that on Celebrity? I've bought my usual Tide packets for the sink, but that just doesn't work well for heavy socks, etc. It would be cheaper to throw socks away than pay what it costs to launder a pair.

Yes, it's vacation, but some of us (raised by people who lived through the depression) are cost conscious even if it's not required. That's why we can cruise now that we are retired.

Edited by HokiePoq

Yes, it's vacation, but some of us (raised by people who lived through the depression) are cost conscious even if it's not required. That's why we can cruise now that we are retired.

BINGO!!! That's us exactly :) though we're not quite retired yet

• 4 weeks later...

To answer Hokiepoq, there are laundry coupons for Elite and Elite Plus. It is one of my favorites since it means we pack for ten days no matter how long we are on board. And if we have been on a precruise jaunt, we can have clean clothes on the ship within a couple of days.