Help for a hotel in Miami

Lisa Aussie

We are booked on the celebrity reflection cruise departing 5 April 2014. We are 2 Aussies, husband and wife who have never been to Miami. We are flying in the day before the cruise departs. So would like to be in a good area for a bit of sight seeing prior to the cruise. Plus would love some suggestions as to what we should be sight seeing. :)

Our travel agent has suggested the following hotels.

Mondrian South Beach

Ithaca Hotel South Beach

Victor Hotel South Beach

Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Btw we are 50 something's.

Regards Lisa

Edited by julia1990
Advise our age category

I you want to be in the hip and sometimes loud "middle of it all", South Beach sure is the right place to be. It is just about the only area you can really explore by walking.

For all other "sight seeing" you´d either need a car or join a tour.

A good way to see a bit of Miami and the Beaches is to join the BigBus-HoHo-Tour - starting in South Beach or at Bayside Marketplace.

Without knowing your price range your looking at, I second the vote to stay in South Beach area. Lots of restaurants, lots of hotels and shops. Very trendy and pricey. Not to mention a great beach. Very easy to walk around the area.

I agree with above, depending on your finances. South Beach is the place to see and be seen. It is easy to walk around, lots of great food, and the beach is beautiful. It will be a cab ride from airport and back to cruise ship, but a fun place to be. If you have not been to Miami, I would highly recommend staying there. Enjoy

The Miami food tour is fun. You get a tour combined with several stops to try small dishes of various S. American cuisines. You can go on their public tour or make up a group and book with them privately. Got to see a lot more than I would have done just walking around South Beach.

http://www.miamifoodtours.com/food-architecture-history-tours-miami/

Look up these 3 hotels on Tripadvisor.com. Honest reader reviews. Cab not necessary if you are not overloaded w. bags. $2.35 bus every 1/2 hour til 11pm from Miami airport outside baggage area lower level.Your hotels are just off the beach too.

... Cab not necessary if you are not overloaded w. bags. $2.35 bus every 1/2 hour ...

I don´t think saving on a cab (flat rate MIA to SoBe 30$) is necessary when hotels are chosen in the price range of the Mondrian etc.

Flying in from Australia, the OP will have some luggage - taking a cab is just a comfortable / reasonable choice.