Princess Manis/Pedis - fancy designs?

cruiserdru

First let me say I have never had a manicure or a pedicure so my knowledge is limited.

Our granddaughter is going to Alaska with us and wants to have a manicure or pedicure with her Grandma. I am sure she is thinking something that has cute designs on her nails, not just polish.

Does Princess offer that kind of service? I see I can schedule a manicure online but I do not know if they are plain Jane or more like what a 9-year old would want.

Any first-hand knowledge out there? We will be on the Crown.

Thanks.

If you possibly can, get it done prior to getting on the ship. The prices onboard are ridiculously high, 2-3 times more than what you would pay in a land based salon.

I have no idea what the exact price would be, or if they do a good job, as I get mine done by the same person on land every 2 weeks. I have my mani-pedi the day prior to leaving for vacation.

You are absolutely right about one thing…it is a fun thing to do together :)

I had mani-pedis on other lines and they don't do cute designs. What you might be able to do is buy some designs or little glittery things in the drug store before you leave and they could apply them as part of the manicure.

But I think you can call the spa offices directly. If you download the spa brochure there may be a number. Or else I'm thinking of another line.

Manis are around $40 on the ship for a basic. It gets higher for other nail services.

My recommendation is to have a mani-pedi at home or near the port the day before you leave. Both services will probably be under $40 AND you will get a greater variety of polishes, colours, and extras (e.g. nail art, glitter, jewels, charms, etc.).

Even when I am on a longer cruise, I always have my mani done at a local land shop rather than the ship.

Just a thought...

I take my grand daughter the day before vacation to have a mani/pedi

She is 8. Its our one hour bonding time. I even found a place that has kids chairs-- (kids chairs do not have the massage stuff but its her size and she can move it to fit her.

Agree with the folks who say do it ahead of time - a nice Grandma / Granddaughter day. Maybe do a bit of last minute shopping, lunch, etc.

Reminds me of spending the night at my Grandmothers house when I was that age - we would walk "downtown", do some window shopping, stop at the drugstore for an ice cream soda, etc. I'm 67 and those are still some of my fondest memories.

Unfortunately, I live in Virginia and my granddaughter lives in Idaho. We will be meeting up in Anchorage just prior to the tour portion of our Alaska cruisetour. Perhaps the hotel will have something although the Captain Cook is probably not any more reasonable than the ship.

I was not so much concerned about the price (yeah, I had to get a haircut once on the ship and I know the price issues but thanks for the warning) as it being a manicure that she would like. I'm fairly certain that her idea (she is only 9) of a manicure is cutesy.

Guess I will need to look for some other things.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Prices are sky high and you'll hear a sales pitch the whole time even when you tell them you are not interested.

To be fair - I have to say that I have had a few spa services over the years and I have never ever had a sales pitch. I've had my hair done, manicure and pedicure services.

I don't go often because the prices are just absurd, but sometimes I just need to get something taken care of.

Maddle

Prices are not as high as you might think. I just put in a fake appointment for my cruise in October and here are the prices:

Mani - $26 port day $29 sea day

Pedi - $41 port day $45 sea day

At home, I pay $18 for a mani and $40 for a pedi but I go to a day spa. I don't like the assembly line type mani-pedi shops we have.

Paula

Prices are not as high as you might think. I just put in a fake appointment for my cruise in October and here are the prices:

At home, I pay $18 for a mani and $40 for a pedi but I go to a day spa. I don't like the assembly line type mani-pedi shops we have.

Paula

I live in a city and we pay 25.00 for a mani AND a pedi together (PLUS TIP)

I live in a city and we pay 25.00 for a mani AND a pedi together (PLUS TIP)

We have places that charge that little where I live and I've been to them. I just don't like the rushed feeling I get when I go to these places.

I just wanted the OP to get Princess's actual prices since price can be relative. :)

Edited by LucyDiamond

Paula

Those may be fake prices as well since a pedicure on Ruby Princess was $70 as of yesterday. Almost three times the local price.

Mike:)