First cruise to Bermuda from NY-Summit or NCL breakaway?

Cgecks9

Hello all, my wife and I (both 29) are planning a cruise to Bermuda from NY. It seems that the two best options are NCL and Celebrity. We have been doing a lot of research on both ships and it seems they both have their pros and cons. We are looking for some help in deciding which ship to go with. We have two little kids but are going sans kids this trip. We both love trying new foods and will be planning on drinking as well. We don't go out much but would like the options on the ship to do so. We generally are laid back but wouldn't mind a little more hustle and bustle. Since we won't have any kids we would like as many options as possible without overdoing it. However, we do want to be on a clean well kept ship with the best food and nicest staterooms possible. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

You're posting this on the Celebrity board, so you probably already know what you're going to hear. . .

SUMMIT!!!!!!!:D

In all honesty, I've never sailed Breakaway, but the reviews so far are atrocious. I have sailed on other NCL ships, and while I think they are better for children, Celebrity is in another league when it comes to adults. Just about everything except the entertainment is better on Celebrity - accommodations, service, food, ambiance, and value (especially if you like to drink - Celebrity is offering free drink packages).

Summit is an older ship but recently refurbished and it never feels crowded. You can do as much or as little as you like. No announcements, so it is much more peaceful and elegant.

Unless you are adamantly opposed to some of the more formal cruise traditions (in which case NCL's Freestyle might be for you), I would choose Summit hands down.:)

Bet you get the exact opposite answer on the NCL board, though. :p

If you want a more intimate cruise, go with the Summit.

There are just over 2,000 passengers on Summit, while the Breakaway has the capacity for about 4,000.

We've sailed the Summit the last two Junes to Bermuda and loved it!

The Main Dining Room has excellent food, so there really is no need to dine in speciality restaurants (extra charge.) But if you choose speciality dining any night, you can't go wrong.

Not sure the same can be said on NCL. I know people that were very unhappy with the main dining and wound up having to spend extra most nights to eat a decent meal while other friends like NCL's food.

If you book an aqua class cabin on Celebrity, you will have you're own special dining room called Blu for breakfast and dinner. It gets rave reviews from most, but you can also eat in the MDR any night you please.

If you book any suite, you can also use Blu based on availibility. You'll also have acess to a butler and some other nice amenties and receive dinner for two in either the Normandie or Qsine.

If you book before Feb 28 and the cruise you choose qualifies, the 123 go offer is in effect. You can choose either the classic alcohol package for both of you, or your gratuities paid, or an on board credit.

The Summit will be more subdued compared to NCL. You won't find pool games and contests. Usually only one annoucement a day from the Capt with daily information.

Entertainment is okay, I'm sure you'll find something you enjoy.

I will tell you that last year while we were waiting for a taxi at Horsebay to bring us back to the ship, we got into conversation with a group that were on the Breakaway. They complained that because there were so many people on board there were waits for everything. Service from the crew suffered, lines almost everywhere etc....

It was Breakaways first year, so maybe some of these problems resolved.

Me personally...I prefer the smaller more elegant ships than the new massive mega-ships.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your cruise!

. a lot of research on both ships , we do want to be on a clean well kept ship with the best food and nicest staterooms possible. quote]

Both will be clean and very well kept. Most everyone on the Celebrity board will say the food is the best, where as most on the NCL board will say it there.

There are different cruise line's, for different strokes, for different folks!

Research a bit more into the differences between the two. Make a list of the things you like, check them off one against the other. We did 1 sailing on NCL over 20 years ago and the wifester will not consider sailing them again. Yet we have friends that like the product. Just different strokes!:D

Edited by wallie5446

DH and I are sailing Summit to Bermuda this July - also without our kids. It's our first time on Celebrity and my DH's first cruise ever.

We are older than you by 20 years - but we have young kids and we are very young at heart. DH left all the planning up to me and it was a no brainer to pick the Summit. While both lines will have tons of kids since it's the summer, it seems to me that the Breakaway will have a much more chaotic feel to it based on the research I have done. My guess is that the Summit will offer us a very relaxing time away from home - even if there are a lot of children.

We also are booked in Aqua class, which i am hoping will be a bit more adult oriented, as it will be a quieter dining experience in Blu than in the MDR.

Anyway, good luck choosing and enjoy your cruise!

My board colleagues have given their opinions about The Summit ( which I consider my HOME ship),

I'm going to up another point: how are you getting to the NYC area? Look at the locations of the different ports and things like parking and ways to get around.

Read the different boards about East Coast departures and the pros and cons of leaving from Manhattan and leaving from Cape Liberty.

Whichever line you choose, you will love Bermuda.

We were booked on the Breakaway and I just changed to the Summit a couple days ago. My number one reason, I love this ship. We sailed her in 2011 to Bermuda before the refurb. The 2nd reason $, being in Bermuda for three days means we will be off the ship more then on so why pay premium dollar for all the bells and whistles we won't really get to enjoy. Bonus, the 123go promo, we took the drink package. I also like the option to participate in at leadt one of the formal nights. Hope this is helpful.

I've sailed with both NCL(not on the Breakaway though) and Celebrity, and both have their pros and cons. While my mother did not enjoy sailing with NCL at all, I liked the Freestyle concept when it came to dining. There were plenty of choices, and the ship was very nicely decorated and are beautiful, and there were more entertainment opportunities during the day and night. What I didn't like were the crowds. The ship was very large(and the Breakaway is a very big ship compared to the Summit), and it felt like every inch of the public areas were full with fellow passengers, there were lines, and while there were more dining choices available, neither I or my mom were happy with the food quality. While I liked that there were more restaurants, the choices were mediocre. Again, I can't comment on Breakaway's choices, as I've never sailed her.

On the Summit--except for during the debarking process or the Muster Drill--I never felt crowded or uncomfortable in the public areas. Even during a sea day, a quiet spot can be found someplace. The announcements over the PA system are kept at a minimum(maybe twice a day tops). I also enjoy the service, the crew has always been wonderful to talk to, and I noticed that when the Summit was the only ship in port at The Dockyard last May(I took the repo cruise in April, '13 back to Bayonne from San Juan), it was seemed empty with just the one ship with "only" 2100+ passengers coming and going. I've been in Bermuda when both the Breakaway and the Summit are in port together, and it's sometimes a madhouse with a combined roughly 6,000 passengers! The main con(if I could call it that)is the disinct lack of nightlife(compared to Breakaway), but I'm one of those "make your own fun" types, and I have yet to have a bad time on the Summit(I'll be sailing her at the end of August). If you book before the end of February, you can take advantage of the 123Go Package and have choices of amenities included in your sailing, one of which is a classic beverage package that will include alcoholic and nonalcoholic bevvies(or you can have your gratuities fully paid, or you can get some onboard credit).

As another poster pointed out, you also have to take into consideration what is easier for you, leaving from NYC or coming across the harbor(through the Tunnel)and leaving from NJ. In your case, it's apples vs. apples, since you'll be coming down from further upstate, and you can either stay in NY or come another 5 miles across the border into my home state to Bayonne. I've left from both ports, and both have their pluses, but home state advantage(and less toll money, and less traffic) works best for me and my family ;)

Whichever ship you choose, I also agree--you'll LOVE Bermuda! Good luck with your choices, and you'll probably be even more up in the air after reading the answers to your post on the NCL board!;)

Hello all, my wife and I (both 29) are planning a cruise to Bermuda from NY. It seems that the two best options are NCL and Celebrity. We have been doing a lot of research on both ships and it seems they both have their pros and cons. We are looking for some help in deciding which ship to go with. We have two little kids but are going sans kids this trip. We both love trying new foods and will be planning on drinking as well. We don't go out much but would like the options on the ship to do so. We generally are laid back but wouldn't mind a little more hustle and bustle. Since we won't have any kids we would like as many options as possible without overdoing it. However, we do want to be on a clean well kept ship with the best food and nicest staterooms possible. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

2 totally different experiences. So it depends what you like more.

I have sailed on both ships to Bermuda, the Summit this past July and the Breakaway this past October. My response to your question would depend on when you are thinking of going. I love Celebrity and I love the Summit. She has a great crew, is very elegant, has a quieter, more subdued atmosphere and not many kids. The Breakaway is newer, larger and has a lot of bells and whistles you won't find on the Summit, like multiple dining venues, water slides, ice bar, and outdoor dining on the promenade. They are both beautiful ships in their own right, but have a very different vibe. We enjoyed both of them for different reasons. I wouldn't hesitate to sail the Summit any time of year, however I wouldn't choose the Breakaway when kids are out of school as I can see how it could get very crowded. I think that is why it has gotten some not so good reviews.

Sailed Summit to Bermuda last summer. Breakaway was there at the same time. Our taxi driver said that the "score" among the people he had driven was that Summit won, hands down. I will warn you, however, that you will be among the youngest people on the ship. There were a few in their 20's and a few honeymooners, but the average age would be over 60, I would guess.

We loved the Summit (but we are 59 and 62.) And would do it again in a heart beat.

Re: age of fellow passengers. While I have been on some X cruises that skewed old, in my experience the summer Bermuda sailings attract a lot of younger cruisers. I would put the average age closer to 40, with lots of 20-30 somethings without kids and many parents with teenagers.

NCL will be younger, for sure, but Summit to Bermuda is no floating retirement home.

Ed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Our last 4 or 5 cruises have been on Celebrity and we love the line for many reasons. That being said, if it were just my wife and I, I'd pick NCL. We usually travel with a large group. We have a blast and provide our own entertainment. This is a good thing, as Celebrity's entertainment is quite lacking. If you're not into the production shows, you might catch a few minutes if a band or maybe a DJ for an hour or so. Other than that, it's kind of dead pretty early on Celebrity.

We were faced with the same predicament as you a few years back. We had sailed on Summit in early spring with people, but were going as a couple in summer. I booked the NCL Gem as I knew we'd want some livelier entertainment being that our gang of misfits would not be along for the ride. Entertainment on NCL is miles ahead of Celebrity. Everything else, we enjoyed about both lines about equally. Celebrity has the better beverage package also.

Either way, you will have a great cruise. Both lines are great, but different in some areas.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The atmosphere you'll find on these two ships is very different --- it depends which appeals more to you. On Celebrity, the ambiance is dignified, elegant, a little quiet most of the time. There is a dress code and it is followed pretty closely, you'll have 2 formal nights where most men will wear at least a jacket and tie, and you'll have 5 smart casual nights where everyone changes for dinner into slacks and a polo shirt for men, perhaps capris with a nice top or sundress for the ladies. Entertainment is good but not nearly as extensive as you'll find on NCL. Celebrity is great if you want to spend your time relaxing and enjoying each other's company. Food in the MDR will be better on Celebrity and the atmosphere there will be more formal. NCL, on the other hand, is more casual in every way. The ship will have brighter decor, there is more entertainment and more energy around the ship, no need to change for dinner if you don't want to. Basically there is no dress code, people wear what they want including shorts in the evening. MDR is good but more basic, but we love the variety of specialty restaurants and don't mind the surcharges. NCL is beloved by people who never want to wear a tie, but also by those who have to dress up for work and don't want that on vacation. Both lines in our experience have excellent service, are clean and well maintained. We generally prefer Celebrity but have enjoyed our NCL cruises, we just go in with different expectations. I should add that we have sailed Summit but not Breakaway,, but the NCL product is consistent.

I am just off the Breakaway, and although I would say it is a beautiful ship, it was not what DH and I look for in a ship.

We felt that most of the public areas were small, and therefore seemed crowded. The design of the ship has some of the bars along the interior walkways, and therefore you'd be trying to enjoy a cocktail with passengers constantly walking by, which didn't make for such a quiet and relaxing experience.

The "Waterfront," while unique and attractive, seemed very underutilized. I did not see too many people dining there, I think because most of the time the ship was at sea at dinnertime, so it would get a bit chilly or windy there. Waterfront restaurants were not open at lunch time.

Also, the design of the ship had the lifeboats extending out over the sides of the ship, so there were not a lot of places where you could look out over the sides of the ship down at the water. Our deck 9 balcony was right over the waterfront, so we looked out onto the roof of the waterfront. When docked at a pier, we could not even see the pier.

We did not think the food in the dining room was as good as Celebrity's MDR food. However, the buffet on the Breakaway was wonderful. Many good choices. At breakfast, I especially enjoyed the pancake/waffle area, where there were assorted berried, whipped cream, and even warm bananas foster to top them off with. That was delicious. At dinner time, there was a dessert crepe station at the buffet that was also great.

The best choice for you really depends on just what you are looking for in a ship and in a cruise.

I have sailed on the Summit multiple times and will be sailing again on her in August. We typically sail on RC or Celebrity, but have sailed on others. We love Celebrity. Food very good, service excellent. Entertainment is okay. The 123 free drink package is wonderful. The cabins, albeit not new, are well furnished and very comfortable.

We actually booked the New NCL for our last August cruise, but after reading many reviews and speaking to people, changed the reservation back to Celebrity. In fact when we were on the dock with the NCL guests in Bermuda, many had negative comments about the ship they were sailing on regarding the cost of shows and food. I am not brave enough to consider NCL at this time. But will continue to follow the reviews and comments about the line.

Who knows, I might consider again for a future cruise. Currently, my DH and I will stick with Celebrity and RCL. Both solid products.

Ok where to start? I've been on Celebrity Summit a few times and last year we tried the Breakaway..I love some things about the Breakaway....the entertainment was great..my dh and I went to see Slam Allen every night..so many choices...so many choices for dining...my dh and I went on the new waterslides and I had a blast..there were just so many people on the Breakaway and I'm not sure if it was new and they've fixed some of these problems or not. A couple of times I tried to do like trivia and things and some were in the atrium..nowhere to sit..really bad use of space for most of the venues..but as far as the games and things like that..they had them in small and odd places..I didn't get to play any games and I look forward to that..As for the Summit..more laid back..more relaxing..great dining..but entertainment is not enough or long enough..But love the T pool...and some of the bars I love...also the smoking policy is much better too...have fun :)

NCL verses Celebrity.

NCL mega ship as opposed to Celebrity m class.

Breakaway has 4000 people Summit has 2000 people.

Hall ways are very narrow on Breakaway which adds to the traffic congestion. When in Bermuda last, met many people from Breakaway. Complaints were food. Although many restaurants, fast food tasted the best. Specialty restaurants did not meet expectations. Pluses were activities. Although had very long lines to do anything, when they did get to do it, they had fun. Shows were great but had to hang around 45 minutes before the show started to get a seat. Same for lectures and games. Very active and noisy ship.. Summit is more subdued. you can read books on deck and not be interrupted. Specialty restaurants are exactly that a specialty. Games are fun and you most always have seating. Shows are so so but still entertaining. Cabins I find to be larger and quiet than on Breakaway. But you are on the Celebrity forum. Go on the NCL forum and get the scoop from them about their ship. I would pick Celebrity over NCL any day.:cool: