Options to limit kids Seapass charges

Unfortunately, that was not my experience. First, I argued with my 18 yr old son at check in because 18 yr olds can drink beer and wine. I signed something denying him drinking privileges. Then, I signed something saying he could not charge. You can imagine my surprise when I was charged for 2 buckets of beer. I went to guest services and was told I'd have to return at 5 am on disembarkation day. It was a bad way to start and end my cruise. I've had many wonderful RCCL cruises since then, but I'll never forget their inefficiency regarding kids charging on my sea pass...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can see an issue like this with an 8 year old, but at 18, I'd be taking it out of his hide. He's no longer a child and needs to be made responsible.

I can see an issue like this with an 8 year old, but at 18, I'd be taking it out of his hide. He's no longer a child and needs to be made responsible.

Agreed! And I would not be arguing with the cruise line to remove the charge...the 18 year old would be paying for the beer that he drank!

Unfortunately, that was not my experience. First, I argued with my 18 yr old son at check in because 18 yr olds can drink beer and wine. I signed something denying him drinking privileges. Then, I signed something saying he could not charge. You can imagine my surprise when I was charged for 2 buckets of beer. I went to guest services and was told I'd have to return at 5 am on disembarkation day. It was a bad way to start and end my cruise. I've had many wonderful RCCL cruises since then, but I'll never forget their inefficiency regarding kids charging on my sea pass...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This thread is concerned with limiting kids purchases, at 18 your son is an adult, and personally responsible for his actions. If you didn't want him to charge, why did you set him up on your charge account? he should have set us HIS account with HIS credit, debit card, or cash :confused:

He was a senior in high school, so I still considered him a kid. He had no credit cards, and since I , the mom, paid for his cruise and his brothers, it was up to me to allow/disallow charges. I disallowed, but the sea pass is also the room key. I was blindsided!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, I took it out on his hide and made him pay, but it was extremely annoying and I did everything RCCL advised me to do....signed up for no charging on his sea pass and they allowed it. Signed up for no drinking alcohol, and they allowed it.

My husband had passed away three months before and this was supposed to be a nice family vacation. I was happy he met other teens at the basketball court, but unhappy they all were able to purchase buckets of beer, especially since I signed two papers that should have been stop gaps.

Yes, I took it out on his hide and made him pay, but it was extremely annoying and I did everything RCCL advised me to do....signed up for no charging on his sea pass and they allowed it. Signed up for no drinking alcohol, and they allowed it.

My husband had passed away three months before and this was supposed to be a nice family vacation. I was happy he met other teens at the basketball court, but unhappy they all were able to purchase buckets of beer, especially since I signed two papers that should have been stop gaps.

Isn't the drinking age 21?

One idea is to plan a Family Spring Cleaning and at the end if your kids did a great job you can reward them with "Cruise Bucks" which essentially is money that you allow them to spend onboard. They can hand you their "Cruise Bucks" before making a purchase.

For the weeks leading up to your cruise you can hand out "Cruise Bucks" for chores, good grades, good behavior etc. If your kids are not following the rules then you ask them to give their Cruise Bucks Back.

For any purchase over their Cruise Bucks you can either decide to allow them to make the purchase or have them earn the Cruise Bucks to pay off the remainder of the bill when they get home.

For any leftover Cruise Bucks you can either give them Cash for it or allow your children to decide if they want it to roll over to the next cruise.

By having Cruise Bucks it makes your kids feel like they worked hard for their "Cruise Bucks" and will have them think twice about what they want to spend it on.

OP just asked a simple question about card charges...............:rolleyes:

What happens if you prepay gratuities then set up your kids account to pay only cash? Don't you prepay with cash upon check-in, then they shut off the card once they max out?

This isn't the first thread we've heard of large charges in the arcade. If we had kids, we'd find a cruise line w/o an arcade.

We've never used cash.

And we'll do that too. I'm just thinking of ways to cover myself from the "I forgot" or "I didn't know what it cost" excuses. :D

I would take away their SeaPass card for a day. After a day of not being able to go to the cabin unless mom or dad is ready to go, no soda, no extras, etc..., they will find a way to start paying attention to the cost of things.

The arcade did factor into our kids' limits on NOS last March. We were able to set it up at check in. We had to go to and redo their limits for the tips.

We did chat with them beforehand, but we have one who is a spender and one who is a saver. So I wasn't too surprised and set their limits at something I was comfortable with. Of course my saver wanted in cash back what he didn't spend over the week ;-) .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk