Why Do Cruises From Charleston Cost More?

JustCruiseMe

To me that is weird and I don't mean the port fees and to top it off they only to Nassau and Freeport.

supply and demand.

the market is not saturated with a lot of cruise ships, like florida is for instance, and thereby more cruisers (especially those driving in) with less ships = higher prices.

supply and demand.

the market is not saturated with a lot of cruise ships, like florida is for instance, and thereby more cruisers (especially those driving in) with less ships = higher prices.

I think it’s more a cost issue vs. supply/demand.

• Carnival only has one ship (Fantasy) out of CHS while there are seven out of MIA (for example). The fixed costs associated with a port (personnel, computers, dock facilities, etc.) is included in the cost of a cruise. With only one ship, guess, what? it’s in the price of the ticket.
  • Fuel costs, The distance from CHS to Nassau is 555 miles, the distance from MIA to Nassau is 188. Guess who is paying for this?

The price of a cruise (or any product) is generally "costs plus a markup", if your costs are more, so is the price.

Occasionally, Fantasy out of Charleston (only two hours away for us) goes to more than Nassau & Freeport.

We are booked on Fantasy on May 31st which is a 7 night cruise and goes to Nassau, Half Moon Cay, and Grand Turk.

The bad thing for us is on Fantasy the only way to get a balcony cabin is to book a suite. The only way to get a suite in the location we want is to book a Grand Suite so it's not an inexpensive cruise ... but very convenient for an extra cruise without having to fly. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

Really? I was pricing out some Spring Break sailings and Charleston was by far the cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I look at Charleston prices a lot, since it's our closest port, and overall they are definitely more expensive than other similar cruises. I've always thought that it was because there is no other ship there, and since are targeting people who would drive to the port, like me, they can pretty much charge a premium price for lesser liked ports - Nassau and Freeport. Instead when you have ports where a lot of people fly into, like Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, and more completion, you can't charge the premium prices when a lot of people have to factor in plane tickets to their vacation cost.

When I was on my first cruise on the Fantasy, nearly everyone was from NC or SC and a lot were first time cruisers - so really, we didn't know any better than to pay a premium price for Nassau and Freeport! Now that I've learned more about cruising, I've learned that cruises out of Jacksonville are often much cheaper than cruises out of Charleston, and often go to better liked ports, such as Half Moon Cay and Key West. For me, it's worth a few hours more of a drive to go to HMC rather than Freeport for cheaper than a Charleston cruise going to Nassau and Freeport. The Fantasy is going on more itineraries than just the standard Nassau and Freeport lately, but you can usually go on a similar itinerary for cheaper out of Jacksonville.

Be happy for the higher prices. Carnival is less likely to pull out of a port that they are commanding higher prices from. When the bottom drops out, start to wonder.

From my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk.

People from, say, Montana who fly to a port will probably fly to Florida rather than Charleston. Airfare to Florida is usually cheaper, there are more ship choices to the same ports in the Bahamas and the larger and newer ships are based. As a result Charleston is probably a drive-up market from the Carolinas and people who sail out of Charleston are choosing it after considering:

1. Drive to Charleston same-day and get on the ship.

2. Drive to Florida the day before. Cost difference: $112 in gas round trip to drive the extra 400 miles from Charleston to Port Canaveral each way or more for further south (at $3.50/gallon and 25 mpg), plus a night in a hotel before the cruise, or about $200 more plus another vacation day from work. However, even this assumed cost of driving as gas and hotels only (which is what most people think driving costs) is flawed: my household's car proves this every year when it needs repairs...more driving means more maintenance and the per-mile cost of the wear and tear often comes out to what gas costs!

3. Fly to Florida. Cost difference: probably $400+ for two people round trip in airfare less whatever it costs to drive to Charleston same-day.

By that math, Carnival can charge $99 per person more for a sailing out of Charleston ($198 per cabin double occupancy) than the same sailing out of Port Canaveral and still have it be cheaper than the other two options most people think of.

Edited by Aoumd

To me that is weird and I don't mean the port fees and to top it off they only to Nassau and Freeport.

Maybe it's to cover the cost of doing business in Charleston. There are activists in Charleston that keep dragging Carnival into court to try to keep Carnival from being able to position a ship there. It must be pretty expensive to continually have to fight these lawsuits.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/a-lawsuit-against-carnival-cruise-lines-continues/Content?oid=4650989

Maybe it's to cover the cost of doing business in Charleston. There are activists in Charleston that keep dragging Carnival into court to try to keep Carnival from being able to position a ship there. It must be pretty expensive to continually have to fight these lawsuits.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/a-lawsuit-against-carnival-cruise-lines-continues/Content?oid=4650989

This is true and both sides have their points.

LuLu

~~~

Since I live in Charleston, some thoughts.

1. We are the Northernmost port until you get to New Jersey/NY (and maybe Norfolk once in a while.) If you're driving in from VA, NC, SC, Parts of GA, TN, KY, WV ie...w/5-12 hrs. its the closest. Why tack on another 6 to 16 hours of driving? Carnival has a lot of driving demand to get to this port. If someone is driving from parts of GA, AL, FL, MS then the driving distance equalizes among numerous ports/ships/cruise lines.

2. No other ships call at this port. Lack of Competition.

3. Charleston is one of the top tourist destinations in the US. If you're going to come early or stay late and spend a day or two, would your rather do it in Charleston or Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, or Tampa? There ya go.

4. There may be a difference in Port fees, but I am skeptical. Charleston is one of the busiest ports on the East Coast for volume of freight. I'm sure they keep their fees competitive.

People from, say, Montana who fly to a port will probably fly to Florida rather than Charleston. Airfare to Florida is usually cheaper, there are more ship choices to the same ports in the Bahamas and the larger and newer ships are based. As a result Charleston is probably a drive-up market from the Carolinas and people who sail out of Charleston are choosing it after considering:

1. Drive to Charleston same-day and get on the ship.

2. Drive to Florida the day before. Cost difference: $112 in gas round trip to drive the extra 400 miles from Charleston to Port Canaveral each way or more for further south (at $3.50/gallon and 25 mpg), plus a night in a hotel before the cruise, or about $200 more plus another vacation day from work. However, even this assumed cost of driving as gas and hotels only (which is what most people think driving costs) is flawed: my household's car proves this every year when it needs repairs...more driving means more maintenance and the per-mile cost of the wear and tear often comes out to what gas costs!

3. Fly to Florida. Cost difference: probably $400+ for two people round trip in airfare less whatever it costs to drive to Charleston same-day.

By that math, Carnival can charge $99 per person more for a sailing out of Charleston ($198 per cabin double occupancy) than the same sailing out of Port Canaveral and still have it be cheaper than the other two options most people think of.

You know that's pretty much how I've figured it and I live in NOrth Carolina. I calculated that it will save us ONLY 100.00 to drive to and sail out of Charleston versus flying to FLL or MIA with much better ports. But that is my point. It seems to me that for the mostly lackluster ports out of Charleston they'd at least be the same price as MIA or TPA but I think you all might be right.

Flying into FLL we can get a direct flight for 200.00 RT and on the morning of the cruise if you (we want). Yes I know the risks but DH work is something we have to consider. Last time we flew in the night of and didn't get there until 3am..it was miserable so this time we get the first flight out for the day, direct 2 hour flight and arrive at 9am.

If you're going to come early or stay late and spend a day or two, would your rather do it in Charleston or Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, or Tampa?

Tampa please and we had three years of duty with the navy in Charleston so we are quite familiar with your city.

The way I figure it

To Charleston

Fuel $100 RT

Parking $105.00 (7 day cruise ridiculous)

Food for the trip 50.00 RT

Charleston cruises are 200.00 more (2 People)

total 450.00

Flying Southwest to POM

400.00 RT (For 2)

Shuttle 60.00 (for 2 RT)

Total 460.00

So for 10.00 we get there faster (2 hour flight vs 4 hour drive) we get better ports and better ships. If Charleston visited better ports we'd be interested or if better pricing we'd be interested for a add on cruise.

It's a no brainer. Better ship, better ports of call and less money, no Charleston.

Having said that, if we had more people going it might be a better deal but we don't.

The way I figure it

To Charleston

Fuel $100 RT

total 450.00

Flying Southwest to POM

400.00 RT (For 2)

Shuttle 60.00 (for 2 RT)

Total 460.00

So for 10.00 we get there faster (2 hour flight vs 4 hour drive) we get better ports and better ships. If Charleston visited better ports we'd be interested or if better pricing we'd be interested for a add on cruise.

It's a no brainer. Better ship, better ports of call and less money, no Charleston.

Having said that, if we had more people going it might be a better deal but we don't.

If you think $105 is ridiculous for parking don't ever cruise from NY.

I paid $245 for 7 days.:eek:

Bill

This theory gets my vote, though the others seem plausible too.

Since I live in Charleston, some thoughts.

1. We are the Northernmost port until you get to New Jersey/NY (and maybe Norfolk once in a while.) If you're driving in from VA, NC, SC, Parts of GA, TN, KY, WV ie...w/5-12 hrs. its the closest. Why tack on another 6 to 16 hours of driving? Carnival has a lot of driving demand to get to this port. If someone is driving from parts of GA, AL, FL, MS then the driving distance equalizes among numerous ports/ships/cruise lines.

Nit-picking, but you missed Baltimore. The repo cruise back to Baltimore is already 40% sold out & it only went on sale Jan. 30. (The cruise in March 2015 & I'll be on it!)

The way I figure it

To Charleston

Fuel $100 RT

total 450.00

Flying Southwest to POM

400.00 RT (For 2)

Shuttle 60.00 (for 2 RT)

Total 460.00

Do you have paid parking at the airport? (not listed in your comparison)

Family and I have cruised out of Charleston many times. From western NC we could easily drive down on departure day but we always go early and spend (too much!) money in Charleston, hotels, restaurants, shopping, etc. Most cities would welcome cruise ships and their tourist dollars with open arms. Seems many of the blue bloods in that fair city don't want us. However, there are plenty of less fortunate people there that want the money and jobs that a thriving cruise business can bring. Carnival has been trying to bring other ships there but it is an ongoing battle. Maybe in the not too distant future !