Helpful Hints for 1st time Suite Cruisers and general

deise17311

Everything you say is true. Having sailed many times in suites on Celebrity, we would never expect to request whatever we want and make unrealistic demands. There is a big difference in telling someone what you are going to do and not taking no for an answer and making a polite request for something special occasionally. I would hate to see new cruisers embarrassing themselves.

Who said anything about unrealistic demands? They are on Reflection, the balcony dividers absolutely open between the rooms they have...many times different staff will say no to something that is ok to do...not taking no doesn't mean aggression as you imply by your statement of "polite request"...you can be polite and not take no for an answer...by requests I mean things such as tea in the evening from the butler, help with the TV, dinner served on the balcony...funny how people jump to the immediate negative...are these unrealistic demands? Asking for the balcony divider to be opened on Reflection, is this unrealistic? paying $90 in a specialty restaurant and sharing an additional entree, is this an unrealistic demand?

Edited by deise17311

"As to butler hours of course they will say 24/7. But I asked mine and he said he's basically on duty 6 am to 9pm. I think after hours they have someone else answer the calls and handle things."

I also don't think the butlers answer calls after hours but, yes, PLEASE don't expect service from your butler much before 6AM or much after 9PM. These are their typical working hours & they need sleep too. I would hate for someone to read this post & then get upset with their butler when they couldn't get service from them at 10PM, eg.

"As to butler hours of course they will say 24/7. But I asked mine and he said he's basically on duty 6 am to 9pm. I think after hours they have someone else answer the calls and handle things."

I also don't think the butlers answer calls after hours but, yes, PLEASE don't expect service from your butler much before 6AM or much after 9PM. These are their typical working hours & they need sleep too. I would hate for someone to read this post & then get upset with their butler when they couldn't get service from them at 10PM, eg.

Very true, however, someone will help them if needed...the suite next to us had a dinner party on the last night at 11 PM and guess who served them...you go it, their butler...we would never do anything like this but each case is different, as is each person's experience and because you would not do it does not make it wrong or make the travelers rude or inconsiderate! We are experienced travelers and respect all we come in contact with, our expectations are not unreasonable but we do take full advantage of what we pay for and maximize our travels.

Edited by deise17311

I am saying this with kindness, which is sometimes hard to recognize on a message board.

The original message you posted included several statements that were not necessarily true for every ship, and you berated some posters who took you to task. When we post with a conversation with a confrontational tone, we receive it right back.

I think it's great that you want to share your experiences with your family and other new cruisers, but every ship is a bit different, and sometimes there are different policies depending on the Hotel Director and other staff. Most of us who post here are trying to be helpful ... we don't want to create expectations that will never be fulfilled - especially for new cruisers.

I appreciate your post but do have to point out while there may be things I can be taken to task for, I doubt posting on a public message board information that not all agree with, but is not necessarily wrong, should be one of them...I'm sure you agree.

Who said anything about unrealistic demands? They are on Reflection, the balcony dividers absolutely open between the rooms they have...many times different staff will say no to something that is ok to do...not taking no doesn't mean aggression as you imply by your statement of "polite request"...you can be polite and not take no for an answer...by requests I mean things such as tea in the evening from the butler, help with the TV, dinner served on the balcony...funny how people jump to the immediate negative...are these unrealistic demands? Asking for the balcony divider to be opened on Reflection, is this unrealistic? paying $90 in a specialty restaurant and sharing an additional entree, is this an unrealistic demand?

I think your heart is probably in the right place but reading the first and last sentence of your first post probably gave me and others a different impression.

They do everything possible to make your cruise a great experience, but some of your information is incorrect and giving someone the idea that you can get anything you want is not realistic. The butler's hour are 6 AM to 9 PM. It's possible they will grant a special request, but not guaranteed. There have also been times when I've seen a request for extra entrees in the specialty restaurant denied.

As I said, I'd hate for new posters to get the wrong idea.

I think your heart is probably in the right place but reading the first and last sentence of your first post probably gave me and others a different impression.

They do everything possible to make your cruise a great experience, but some of your information is incorrect and giving someone the idea that you can get anything you want is not realistic. The butler's hour are 6 AM to 9 PM. It's possible they will grant a special request, but not guaranteed. There have also been times when I've seen a request for extra entrees in the specialty restaurant denied.

As I said, I'd hate for new posters to get the wrong idea.

Well said and point taken...I did not communicate well in my post.

My husband and I will be in a Royal suite on the Solstice this summer. The last time I cruised with Celebrity was on the Mercury eight years ago. So I am actually very grateful to deise7311 for starting this discussion in what I believe was a helpful spirit. Several of my own questions have been addressed and answered. So thank you to all who participated in this thread and thank you to deise7311.

deise17311,

Thank you for taking the time to post this. My family and I are on the Reflection in a suite in April. It's our first cruise in 10 years, our first time in a suite, and our first Celebrity cruise.

I know enough to take everything on these boards with a grain of salt. The results vary from situation to situation, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I appreciated your list of tips.

Thanks again

Edited by canudigit

Very true, however, someone will help them if needed...the suite next to us had a dinner party on the last night at 11 PM and guess who served them...you go it, their butler...we would never do anything like this but each case is different, as is each person's experience and because you would not do it does not make it wrong or make the travelers rude or inconsiderate! We are experienced travelers and respect all we come in contact with, our expectations are not unreasonable but we do take full advantage of what we pay for and maximize our travels.

The point I made was that people should not EXPECT their butlers to be assisting them past 9PM since they are technically off duty at that time. Yes, some butlers would help after that but I wouldn't want people to have that expectation and then complain if their butler didn't respond to late calls or requests. That's not fair to the butlers. Guest complaints cause LOTS of stress to the crew & a complaint about non-service past 9PM would be unfair to him/her.

• 1 month later...

Deise17311,

I will also be in a suite for the first time and I appreciate your helpful post. I knew EXACTLY what you meant when you said "don't take no for an answer". We always say "don't let somebody pooh-pah you", meaning sometimes people say no because it is a hassle but if you keep asking they finally do it. We are always polite whether on vacation or just daily life.

Please don't let the negative posters keep you from offering advice in the exactly way you originally did, trying to be helpful to newbies. You said you were only giving advice as it has happened for you and yet some still argued. I'm not sure why.

-Toni

Are you sure about your comment regarding the specialty restaurants? I haven't cruised on X yet, but my experience on most ships is that your limited to one entree at the specialty restaurants yet may order as much as you want from the other categories.

We were encouraged to order several at Tuscan Grill on the Equinox. And of course, we ordered several at Silk Harvest (sharing plates) and then ordered another order of the first entrée because it was so delicious! So yes, it seems that can order whatever and as much as you would like.

LKC

Reading over this thread just reinforces why I normally don't post on CC. It seems like there are always those who are looking to correct or be confrontational when people are just trying to be helpful. It definitely discourages open discourse.

Thank you OP I found that part useful info. Never hurts to share your experience and everyone can also have their own. We sail this week and look forward to many of the tips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

Thank you to the OP for her information. We will be in a suite on the April 12 cruise on the Reflection. We were in a suite on our last cruise on the Summit and did not know what to expect or ask for. The butler was fantastic and did explain what he would be able to do to make our cruise more enjoyable. He was wonderful and only hope that the next one will be just as good. As far as some of the other posters I find that when a topic comes up I know that they will chime in with the famous words "no you are wrong" it may be wrong in their experiences but not in yours. Why do people have to be so confrontational over a cruise. I sit and read the posts and think to myself no wonder our world is so messed up when people have to get upset over a cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My sister and her family are going on their first cruise in 2 suites...I made a list for her and thought it might help others...some if it is just our opinion - we have experienced all of these things many times so please refrain from stating they do not or cannot happen:

Arrive by 11:30 to the port - suites have a special boarding area away from the general boarding

When you board, instead of going to the buffet for lunch (main dining room is closed) go to Bistro on 5 - there is a $5 charge but it's worth it and there will be no one there

You get 1 free specialty dinner for being in a suite so your butler can book or you can call ahead prior to boarding and Celebrity will book for you...I think the lawn club or Qsine are the best (try both as you have OBC)

Have your suite attendant or butler (different people) open the divider between the balcony...do not take no for an answer

On the San Juan port day tell your butler you will dine on your balcony and please deliver menus...it's beautiful to be served overlooking the lights of the city and he will serve you course by course

Remember you can order as much as you want even in the specialty restaurants...so you could actually say give us everything on the menu and they would say "our pleasure"...so don't hesitate to order multiple entrees to try new things!!

You get one free day (on port days) in the Persian garden (spa) for being in a suite...it's heated loungers and co-ed sauna and steam room...I think it may be adults only so maybe you could go alone and relax!

Always eat breakfast on your balcony (you order the night before, the butler will leave you little menus - write anything in and they will make for you) and he will serve you on white tablecloth...it's quite nice!!!!

At 4:00 PM the butler delivers pre-dinner appetizers (cheese/crackers, stuffed mushrooms etc) and comes with a tea cart where you choose cookies, pastries, sandwiches etc...(this is a suite only perk)

You can bring on 2 bottles of wine - if you bring to dining room, they charge a $25 cork fee (but the bottle can be used all week, it will follow you from restaurant to restaurant)

In St. Thomas and St Martin, take a taxi to the beach or walk to the beach and rent snorkel equipment for $5

The TV is interactive…you will see a keyboard and everything is on the tv computer (it’s made by apple so it will feel familiar)…it’s how you order room service, look at your accounts, pictures, order shore excursions etc…because you have a butler, he will make any changes you want or any ordering you want (food). There is a button on the phone for butler so you can call him 24/7

On formal nights you have reserved seating in the show (for suites) on the second level center - but you have to get there at least 10 min prior or they open it up to general seating

For all other shows go at least 20 min prior to get good seats…since it is your first cruise, i’d say got to all the shows!! Schedule your dinner around the shows…since you have select, you can go anytime!!

For select dining, they have a special suite line so you bypass any lines and go right to the front…

Even though you have the premium drink package (you can get anything non-alcoholic) the water ion the mini-bar is not free. Mom and I always got a few Evians and brought them back to the room…we had a problem because the suite attendant (not butler) thought we were drinking from the mini bar…the butler took care of it

You can only order 1 drink at a time with the drinks package

Cafe Al bacio is great for specialty coffees and teas which are free for you because of drinks package…the cookies etc are always free…

You get free cappuccinos in your suite - you have to write it on the breakfast order form - write in anything you want and the butler will bring it…I always got chocolate croissants

It’s really a huge 4 star hotel so they really want to please you - just ask and it will happen!!

That's a sound list.

Thank you to the OP for her information. We will be in a suite on the April 12 cruise on the Reflection. We were in a suite on our last cruise on the Summit and did not know what to expect or ask for. The butler was fantastic and did explain what he would be able to do to make our cruise more enjoyable. He was wonderful and only hope that the next one will be just as good. As far as some of the other posters I find that when a topic comes up I know that they will chime in with the famous words "no you are wrong" it may be wrong in their experiences but not in yours. Why do people have to be so confrontational over a cruise. I sit and read the posts and think to myself no wonder our world is so messed up when people have to get upset over a cruise.

Please, one thing to remember on any Internet forum is that tone cannot be conveyed. What you may interpret as mean or confrontational was most likely not the intent of the author, especially when pointing out that one person's experiences might not be the same for everyone.

BUT, what must be said is, the reason this thread went the way it did was because the OP wrote her list making it appear that everything listed was written in stone, and that every person who cruises in any suite, on any ship, would experience the same. Personally, I find such things unfair to new suite cruisers who might expect or ask for something that the OP listed, only to find that what they want cannot be done, which can be embarrassing for them, and could cause big problems for the crew if the passenger (and believe me there are a lot of mean-spirited cruisers out there) were to complain to the higher ups by saying to the effect, "Well, I read on Cruise Critic that it was possible."

There are no absolutes anywhere in life, even when it comes to cruising in a suite.

Please, one thing to remember on any Internet forum is that tone cannot be conveyed. What you may interpret as mean or confrontational was most likely not the intent of the author, especially when pointing out that one person's experiences might not be the same for everyone.

BUT, what must be said is, the reason this thread went the way it did was because the OP wrote her list making it appear that everything listed was written in stone, and that every person who cruises in any suite, on any ship, would experience the same. Personally, I find such things unfair to new suite cruisers who might expect or ask for something that the OP listed, only to find that what they want cannot be done, which can be embarrassing for them, and could cause big problems for the crew if the passenger (and believe me there are a lot of mean-spirited cruisers out there) were to complain to the higher ups by saying to the effect, "Well, I read on Cruise Critic that it was possible."

There are no absolutes anywhere in life, even when it comes to cruising in a suite.

A good point. Thank you

Suite laundry question - are there any laundry perks?

We usually sail HAL and the major perk that I enjoy is the free laundry - pressing, dry cleaning, and washing. Does the 'butler aids with upacking' include pressing?

I'd been assuming that I unpack and he provides extra hangers, etc. Or is it more?

Very well stated and certainly where I was coming from with my comments - trying too add in the details, nuances, and differences between suite benefits and how they can vary even by class of ship. I found out myself what happens on A isn't possible on B. Like if you want to have people for dinner in your Celebrity Suite on S class after sailing one in M class, then finding out that the S class Celebrity suite does not have the table and 4 chairs like the M class did. That would be a bummer if someone decided to insist it's possible because they read it on cruise critic and reamed the butler a new one for not doing as they knew they could have done..... Yes possible on M class, no not possible on S class.

Suite laundry question - are there any laundry perks?

We usually sail HAL and the major perk that I enjoy is the free laundry - pressing, dry cleaning, and washing. Does the 'butler aids with upacking' include pressing?

I'd been assuming that I unpack and he provides extra hangers, etc. Or is it more?

No specific laundry perks with the suite category on Celebrity.

Very well stated and certainly where I was coming from with my comments - trying too add in the details, nuances, and differences between suite benefits and how they can vary even by class of ship. I found out myself what happens on A isn't possible on B. Like if you want to have people for dinner in your Celebrity Suite on S class after sailing one in M class, then finding out that the S class Celebrity suite does not have the table and 4 chairs like the M class did. That would be a bummer if someone decided to insist it's possible because they read it on cruise critic and reamed the butler a new one for not doing as they knew they could have done..... Yes possible on M class, no not possible on S class.

I fully agree with you but learned a long time ago that there are very many who do not appreciate such help on Cruise Critic. This is why I get worried about the "what my butler will do" lists and for those who print off list of "published" perks so that they can demand their "rights". I worry that people can be setting themselves up for a stressful and disappointing cruise.

Even if something one person received on one cruise was an accepted perk, these have changed continually in the six years we have been sailing in suites. If you book up to two years in advance as we do, you could be very disappointed if you expect the same perks as was in force on the day you booked. [As an extreme example, many of the standard items you could expect in a Celebrity, Royal and Penthouse Suite disappeared when the M-Class ships were Solsticised. We booked one suite long before the upgrades had been conceived but boarded immediately after the Infinity upgrade.] You could also be very happy. [As we will be on our next Millennium cruise when the new "suite class" perks should be in place. Again these we not even a twinkle in Celebrity's eye when we booked this cruise two years beforehand.]

If Celebrity were to honour the perks in place when each individual booked [only those perks and nothing but those perks] they would have the impossible situation of trying to match each suite to the booking dates for that suite [whether that be two years in advance or three days before sailing]. Surely anyone can see that that is not possible.

For specialty dining. If the cruise is 7-11 days. You get 1 meal for 2 free. 12+ days. You get 2 meals.

On Infinity there is a red carpet at the gangway when returning. It is for suites and zenith. This is really useful if 15 shore excursions happen to return all at once. It is not availble if tendering. In that case. The priority service is offered for outbound tenders with tickets being delivered to the suite.

A newspaper with news from your home region is delivered daily by your butler

Sky suite 6121 on m class shops is right across the hall from the bellbox (pantry) . It can get a bit noisy sometimes and they park all the tea carts outside it until tea time making the hall a very tight squeeze. Also the bathroom in a sky suite has a window. That is very annoying when the light is on at night,