NCL-Carnival?

BiXLL

I posted pretty much the same thing on Carnival board but wanted to hear the NCL side also.

I recently returned from my first cruise. It was on NCL Dawn and we had a blast every min. of every day. It was a 7 day stopping in Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.

For Next cruise I am thinking of an itinerary of Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen, Cozumel. (Would rather have something different then Cozumel but that is all I can find with the first 2)

I searched NCL and found a 7 day aboard the Epic. I searched Carnival and found a 6 day aboard the Breeze. The only difference I see is that on the Epic the trip starts with 2 days at sea while the Breeze has 1 day at sea. The Cruise on the Breeze is $730.00 less then the epic for identical Aft rear facing balcony cabins.

I really enjoyed my NCL experience but am having a hard time justifying $730.00 difference for an extra sea day. Is there anything I am not thinking of that would warrant me not going with the better price and trying Carnival?

I have not cruised NCL yet (first time this June) but I know where you are coming from. I have cruised my last two times with carnival even though I enjoy Royal more. It was a cost saver of several hundred dollars to go with Carnival. I went in knowing that everything in my eyes would not be as good such as shows, food, ship design .... However in the last two cruises going cheaper I am now booked for Bermuda in a great cabin over the summer to my favorite port. To me it was worth it, I had a good time on Carnival because I was on vacation (even during hurricane Sandy).

If money is the major issue then just go with the Breeze. From what I hear it's a good ship. I'm thinking though that when you get off on day six you will be wishing you had taken a seven day cruise.

Epic is a wonderful ship with many, many dining and entertainment choices.

Your dilemma is basically a win/win situation. :D

Hope this helps. We have been on both the Epic and the Breeze. Loved the Breeze. Liked the Epic. For the savings it would be a no brainer. The Breeze is a new and beautiful ship with good sized and comfy cabins. The epic's cabins are way too small (I'm talking balcony on both) 2 people can barely move around each other. The entertainment on the Epic is wonderful but we found every venue to feel very crowded. Good entertainment on the Breeze. My biggest comparison would be the food. Much better on the Epic but still fine on the Breeze. We all cruise with different priorities and opinions. Whichever you choose I'm sure you will have a wonderful time

I do like NCL a little more than CCL but for 730 beans would choose CCL in a heartbeat, especially if it means avoiding the Epic*.;)

(*I served on an aircraft carrier while in the Navy and have no desire to set sail again on a ship that holds that many people:).)

I rechecked my figures and its actually a savings of $754.00! I too hate the idea of giving up a day but am thinking of maybe taking a couple hundred of that $754. and spending an extra day in Miami before the cruise?

I so wanted to be loyal to NCL, but $750. is a big deal to me. I have to save and give up a lot for a year to be able to do a cruise.

When are you looking to go? I know that Carnival is offering all kinds of deals and perks. I get e-mails from them daily with (according to them) prices you can't refuse.
The one I am looking at is 1/25/15. At one of the online travel agents I can get a $100.00 restaurant card and $75.00 obc also. Edited by BiXLL

I just think NCL hold approached to cursing is better than

CCL. They still have past guest parties. They have people there to try to accommodate you. Where with CCL you rarely can find anyone except waiters. You never see senior staff on CCL where on NCL senior staff is all around NCL has profession entertainment. CCL throws High School level entertainment, when they have it. If it was not cut already, no live bands, just 24 hours of trivia. Not CCL trivia, what was the last ship fire?

I've liked my NCL cruises far more than CCL, but I was on an older ship for a shorter period of time. For that savings going with the Breeze would be a no-brainer, even though I loved the Epic. Give CCL a try and let us know how it goes.

Edited by sdmike

I posted pretty much the same thing on Carnival board but wanted to hear the NCL side also.

I recently returned from my first cruise. It was on NCL Dawn and we had a blast every min. of every day. It was a 7 day stopping in Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.

For Next cruise I am thinking of an itinerary of Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen, Cozumel. (Would rather have something different then Cozumel but that is all I can find with the first 2)

I searched NCL and found a 7 day aboard the Epic. I searched Carnival and found a 6 day aboard the Breeze. The only difference I see is that on the Epic the trip starts with 2 days at sea while the Breeze has 1 day at sea. The Cruise on the Breeze is $730.00 less then the epic for identical Aft rear facing balcony cabins.

I really enjoyed my NCL experience but am having a hard time justifying $730.00 difference for an extra sea day. Is there anything I am not thinking of that would warrant me not going with the better price and trying Carnival?

I would cruise Carnival and save the $730. To me, the experiences on NCL and CCL are very similar.

The Breeze is a very nice ship with lots of food options.

I rechecked my figures and its actually a savings of $754.00! I too hate the idea of giving up a day but am thinking of maybe taking a couple hundred of that $754. and spending an extra day in Miami before the cruise?

I so wanted to be loyal to NCL, but $750. is a big deal to me. I have to save and give up a lot for a year to be able to do a cruise.

This is a good idea.

There's also a one-day cruise to Bimini from POM, if you're interested in hitting an extra island. I think it's called the Bimini Express.

As much as I loved the Epic, for that amount of savings, I would definitely go with Carnival...and it's the BREEZE...psshhh, have you seen everything there is to do on there? Yep, that's one of the ships I really want to sail. The sports deck looks amazing. I would have booked already knowing the savings involved. :D

As much as I loved the Epic, for that amount of savings, I would definitely go with Carnival...and it's the BREEZE...psshhh, have you seen everything there is to do on there? Yep, that's one of the ships I really want to sail. The sports deck looks amazing. I would have booked already knowing the savings involved. :D

Yeah, I agree. I am going to book it. I all ready got a quote from a Ta offering me a $100.00 restaurant.com gift card (pretty much useless) and $75.00 obc. Pretty much a no brainer, just waiting to see if maybe someone comes in with $100.00 obc and no gift card.

BY the way, your advice helped make my first cruise amazing, THANK YOU.

Edited by BiXLL

We have sailed on Carnival, NCL and Princess and there are pros and cons on all of them. The one thing I would not do on Carnival is travel during peak season or any kind of spring breaks. We usually cruise non-peak to save cash and less kids (like kids, just know what works for us). For that kind of money I would not hesitate to travel on Carnival...as mentioned there are pros and cons with any cruise line and we have never had a really bad cruise, just some better than others.:)

We did a back to back Breeze and Epic Dec. 2012. It was my first NCL cruise and I hadn't been on CCL in about a decade. I LOVED the Epic (am now a huge fan of NCL and the mega-ships). Everything about CCL was just.....well....I wouldn't sail on CCL if it was free. Loved the entertainment on the Epic as well as the food. Breeze - not so much. I did not like the atmosphere at all - much nicer on the Epic. I feel that you do get what you pay for.