In lieu of fanny packs, what do you use?

I bought a Kipling daypack bag in the airport in Cairo back in 2009. I just didn't like how my Kata camera pack was working as my daypack. Waiting in the airport for my flight to Amman, I did a little shopping (well, a LOT of shopping), and found the Kipling. So very light weight and it held much more than it looked like it would. That bag is still going strong.

I have a couple crossbody bags I ordered off Etsy that I love, and will be buying another one before my next cruise that looks similar to this:

il_570xN.456669834_6z60.jpg

I love how large they are, and how much stuff they hold. I also like that they aren't bulky, and kind of mold to the side of your body.

Edited by ClassyGame

I know fanny packs are out, what does everyone use in their place?

Cross body bags?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I use my husband. He carries those things I need in his backpack during excursions and he carries what I might need during dining. I also have a plastic thing around my neck for cruise card and nitro pills. I hate purses.

For walking around the ship and ports, I use my trusty RCI tote bag, believe it or not. It is that usual natural looking fabric, and it has rope straps. I throw in my camera, my little flip camera, prescription sunglasses in their hard case, and a few other small things as needed. The only time I really have a lot in it is for the beach. I don't know how many times prior to doing this I found myself wishing I had my camera or something. Because I only have the necessities in it, it is never heavy.

For dinner, I like a small clutch. Formal for formal night, basic for any other.

I will add one thing: regardless of the type of bag you choose, be sure the bag has a zipper closure. Open bags or the mag button bags are just invitations for someone to stealthily grab inside… Then, if you want to take it a little further, you can use a mini-caribiner to attach your zipper toggle to the bag strap for a little extra security.

PS How come no one ever mentions that they carry tissues. I can't ever leave the house or stateroom without a tissue.

On the ship, I found I was never that far away from a washroom or bar, where I could grab a tissue or napkin if needed. At home, I do always carry tissues in a pocket of my pants or knapsack/purse.

If I'm going to the beach or pool I'll wear a sporty drawstring backpack - I don't care if it gets wet, it closes at the top and it's very light and packable. It's never in my way and if I buy something I can just toss it in there. I also like to bring a water bottle to the pool so that fits in without being bulky.

For me, it depends on the ports and activities. In the Caribbean we usually use a backpack. In Europe I use a cross body messenger bag (mine has a zipper and a snap closure for extra security). Another great bag is my longchamp le pliage.

On the ship I use a wristlet in the evening.

I use a wrist purse when out on the ship at night. It works really well for me. Actually, it was a tip I received before my first cruise and to me was one of the best ones! It feels great not dealing with a big purse for a week! I do bring a zippered neutral Macramé bag on the plane and also use when out on any shopping excursions. It's really flat but expands and is light and is great to throw things in- even works as a small beach bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn't remember which purse I took with me on past cruises to use at night, so, when in doubt, buy a new purse. :p I bought this crossbody purse at JC Penney. It was originally $35.00, it was discounted in the store and then I got an extra 20% off. I got it for around $12.00. :D I think it will be just the right size for what I like to bring with me at night. There's an additional pocket that you can't see in the pictures they show.

http://www.jcpenney.com/rosetti-mini-cash-carry-ryan-flap-crossbody-bag/prod.jump?ppId=pp5003440076&catId=cat100640196&topDim=Brand&topDimvalue=rosetti&dimCombo=Brand%7C&dimComboVal=rosetti%7C&currentDim=Brand&currentDimVal=rosetti&colorizedImg=DP1015201317041797M.tif&urlState=/handbags-accessories/shop-handbags-wallets/crossbody-bags/rosetti/_/N-1nx2h0Zjc/cat.jump?cm_re=S6-_-CAT-_-SHOP+CROSSBODY+BAGS&containerId=JCP%7Cdept20000019

I know fanny packs are out, what does everyone use in their place?

Cross body bags?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Actually, they are back in style now!:D Designer ones anyway. Hey, I live in CA!:D I have one that I got way back in the early 80s...it's Gucci, but...I only bought it because my then friend (who turned out to be my SIL) was visiting me from NY and wanted to go shopping on Rodeo Dr. in Beverly Hills. I didn't want to not buy something (she bought a ring) so I got the cheapest thing I could find. I think it was $60. I still have it and may take it on my next cruise...if it still fits!:eek: Usually, I use a cross-body bag on excursions along with a straw tote if I'm going to the beach. On board ship, I use a wristlet unless I'm going up to the Serenity Deck, in which case I use my straw tote. In the evenings I use an evening bag or wristlet.

Edited by mousey

I have a small black fabric (but nice, woven material that looks very nice) wristlet that works really well on the ship in the evenings. It holds my card, my camera and any other small items I'd like. Since it's fabric it doesn't weigh a thing in my suitcase and packs really flat.

I carry a cross-body bag by Eagle Creek. I'm on my second of the exact same style, saving it for travel only now as I think it is discontinued.

It's very comfy and small yet holds everything I need securely, including my camera. I'm probably going on 15 years using this same style bag. I've got other cross-bodies, but this one is my favorite by far.

At night I have a small wristlet; on the ship I don't carry a bag unless I know I am going to need the stuff in it.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I just posted the following to another thread but thought I'd share my good news here too:

I just found,

A Sherpani tote bag (well, it's more of a medium-sized duffle-type bag) ON SALE at TJ Maxx. It's awesome and I can't wait to take it on my trip back home to FL in April. It's canvas and has an adorable picture of a little bird and a heart and what looks like an egg-shaped tree. It's so whimsical and adorable! It's not my usual type of bag but I couldn't resist it. I had not heard of this brand of handbag before until someone here on the board posted a picture of her cross-body bag. I was really just out looking around killing time and happened to see this bag on the sale rack.

It's beige canvas with olive green straps. You can carry it by short handles or over the shoulder as it also has a detachable, adjustable, shoulder strap. It has two large zip-up pockets on the inside, a small zip-up pouch on the outside front, and a large zip-up pouch on the outside back. It is so well-made and I'm so in love with it! I wish I knew how to post pictures so you could see how cute it is. I'm so excited about it!

By the way ladies...TJ Maxx must have gotten a new shipment in because they had all kinds of cross-body bags, especially my favorite brand, Baggallini, in all different color, sizes, and prices. I was almost tempted to buy this beautiful coral-colored Baggallini cross-body but opted instead to go with the Sherpani, which I just couldn't resist.

Edited by mousey

I just went on-line and found out that my new Sherpani bag falls into their "Element" category of bags. Also, judging from the prices I'm seeing on the internet for these bags...I got an incredible deal at TJ Maxx!:D Even more happy now. I also found a Sherpani "sale" site and think I'm going to send away for a small cross-body wallet that matches my new duffle bag and that will fit inside of it! So excited! :D I always love the tips I get from CC!

Edited by mousey

Watch out - that's how I got hooked! They had an end of season "buy one, get another for $1"...I have 5 different Sherpanis and love'em all. 4 of them are Elements, too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slidergirl,

I got the bug for the Sherpani from you!:D Do you collect all the artwork or do you have a favorite? My new bag's artwork is Song For You.

Slidergirl,

I got the bug for the Sherpani from you!:D Do you collect all the artwork or do you have a favorite? My new bag's artwork is Song For You.

I have 2 artworks. The latest I bought was the Sonoma backpack with "Surfer Girl". It's green and turquoise. The other 3 are a little older and are the "Falling Tree" pattern - it is a tree with a heart in the middle. The bag color is the neutral/natural with brown faux suede trim. My Zoe bag is just turquoise blue with no pattern (it's my purse that I'll put inside the others).

Edited by slidergirl

I make a lot of my cruise clothes. Each thing that I make has a fanny bag that iI also make to go with it. I use to dislike fanny bags until I made mine. The bag clips around my waist. The skirt behind it I made too.

IMG_1239_zps05016a81.jpg

Edited by geocruiser