DSLR needed?

irishayes

We are going on a 13 night Med cruise in June, 2014, and trying to decide whether our current point and shoot camera (Canon PowerShot SX150is) is sufficient, or whether we need to invest in a DSLR camera.

The Canon has 14.1 MP, 12x optical zoom, and video recording capability.

I just don't want to be disappointed with the quality of my photos because I know we are going to be seeing some incredible sights.

So I'd like some opinions, please, and thank you!

Does it go wide enough for great landscape vistas? Does it react quick enough for wildlife (much like sports) shooting? Do the batteries last long enough for a day's shooting?

That said, I wouldn't force yourself into a DSLR unless you wanted to make the leap. Bigger and heavier, and due to the larger sensor you'll have less "distance in focus" (known as depth of field). Thin DoF can be useful for creative purposes, but it can also cause a higher percentage of out-of-focus shots. One of our DSLR lenses, if used for a head-and-shoulders portrait with a key setting set to the max, will be able to focus on EITHER an eye or the tip of the nose, but at those settings it's not possible to get both the nose and an eye in focus unless you turn the head. One wrong twitch and maybe the eye isn't in focus. Admittedly that's not how I'd probably set those settings, and it's a lens capable of great extremes, but that's just not a risk with P&S.

As I stated in my other reply to your question - consider the true cost of ownership of a DSLR, which includes buying additional lenses. Budget up to 4 times the cost of the DSLR for lenses.

That's right, for a $500 DSLR, you may end up spending up to $2,000 on lenses.

You will at some point likely want a super-wide angle lens ($600) and a good telephoto lens ($600). And if you want to do low-light, then a 50mm f/1.8 or something similar ($200). At some point, you may also find the kit lens lacking, so that might end up being replaced too ($600).

And if you want to do macro or want any specialty lenses such as a fisheye, well the cost goes up even more.

And finally, all that stuff won't do much good unless you buy a speedlight and tripod...

It can get expensive to own a DSLR. I have a friend that did not heed my advice and bought a DSLR. He refused to buy any more lenses, so his DSLR sits in the closet these days.

I am not trying to scare you out of a DSLR, but in your other thread, you (or perhaps it was your husband) seemed to balk a bit about the cost of a DSLR... when in fact, that is just the tip of the iceberg.

If you make the plunge for a DSLR, congratulations - it is a lot of fun. Just realize it's not inexpensive.

Edited by awboater

You might want to consider a bridge camera: good zoom on a single lens. Last spring I used one on our transatlantic. Photos at: http://www.pbase.com/gsrunyan/trans

The Sony HX100 I used gave good images, did panoramas and could track our entire cruise if you want to plant your images on a computer map.

Glenn:cool:

You might want to consider a bridge camera: good zoom on a single lens. Last spring I used one on our transatlantic. Photos at: http://www.pbase.com/gsrunyan/trans

The Sony HX100 I used gave good images, did panoramas and could track our entire cruise if you want to plant your images on a computer map.

Glenn:cool:

Good advice. My backup Panasonic Lumix ZS19 works well too. 20x optical zoom for a pocket size camera! Takes full HD movies and it cost me less than $200 (list $279) on sale.

I compromised. I bought a Sony NEX6 last year. Love it. Note DSLR videos can be very hard to take without a stabilizer so I use the sony just for stills mostly. Also just purchased GoPro for videos. But at the end of the day you can't beat the iPhone 5 for quick shots.

I compromised. I bought a Sony NEX6 last year. Love it. Note DSLR videos can be very hard to take without a stabilizer so I use the sony just for stills mostly. Also just purchased GoPro for videos. But at the end of the day you can't beat the iPhone 5 for quick shots.

but what about the middle of the day:D