One Night Stay Outside Rome before Flight Home

billrco90278

Before our June cruise from Ciittavechia we are staying in Rome for two nights. At the end of the cruise we also have a night planned in Rome and will fly home from FCO the following day. The thought of staying outside Rome in an interesting town fairly close to the airport has occurred to me. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Santa Marinella is nice, although it's actually quite close to Civitavecchia. It's a little closer to the airport than the port, but would still require a 40 minute drive to the airport the next morning.

There are also lots of hotels in Lido di Ostia, much closer to the airport. However, I've sat in the morning traffic coming in from Lido and I think it might take almost as long to travel just eight or so miles from Lido to the airport as the 35 miles from Santa Marinella.

Edited by euro cruiser

Haven't stayed there, but the town of Fiumicino is a small town that supposedly has some decent hotels. I was going to stay there this spring prior to an early flight, but I ended up getting an employee's rate at the FCO Hilton :D Browse TA (the "owl" website) for ideas. Fiumicino is where the airport is… Walk along the Tiber River, have some decent "locals" food…

We stayed one night before a flight in a very very old hotel right across the street from the entrance to Ostia Antica. We disembarked the ship, had Romecabs pick us up and take us to the hotel. We spent the entire afternoon at Ostia Antica (could have spent more time there !)

The town itself isnt much but the ruins are fantastic. Very parklike with trees and greenery and the ruins themselves are extensive and in very good shape.

It was the harbor area for Rome in antiquity......

We were also there very off-season so perhaps the town area would be more lively and interesting during season.....

The hotel was in a very very old building....nothing fancy but quite interesting.

We had a taxi come at 5:30 am to take us to the airport (all arranged thru the hotel the night before) Took maybe 8 minutes.

I am sure there are other options - there are hotels along the beach too in this area.....

I will say we wont do it again.....preferring instead to stay IN Rome.

http://www.rodrigodevivar.com/in/hotel-airport-rome.html

We stayed in the medieval burg part.... in town. They also have a country inn about a mile away..... in the country ! for sure. Click on rooms/apts

It is a VERY old building and not fancy.... but right in the old area and we loved its charm. We walked across the street to the ruins, down the street to a wonderful restaurant for dinner and its maybe 8 -10 minutes to the airport.

Edited by texancruzer