The Ma'am's '8 Days a Week' Epic Review with pictures

medicalma'am

Glad that your rocky beginning had a happy ending. I can only imagine how relieved you were to finally be on the ship.:)

One question, is the sofa in the cabin comfortable to sit on? The back seems quite curved.

Heather

Edited by SenatorsFan

Loving the beginning of your review Medicalma'am:D As one of those who followed our roll call posts about 'your story to tell' and then your 'we won't make the Bubba Gumps' pre-party, I was thrilled when I spotted you at the M&G. I knew you made it!

I shall let you continue though since that was day two.

It was so great to meet you!!

Edited by kerrytens

Glad you made it, despite the crazy travel troubles. Thanks for your review and pictures! I really enjoy reviews with the pictures for some reason. Helps me live vicariously, since we sailed the Epic in January 2013. :-)

We just got off a Royal Caribbean cruise yesterday and, while it was fun and we loved the itinerary, we compared a lot of it to the Epic and NCL. We went in with open minds, knowing the two lines have similarities and differences, but we definitely missed NCL. Thankfully, before that cruise, we used our FCC to reserve another NCL Epic cruise for next January and we're already excited to go back!

Can't wait for more!

Just dropped in while preparing our dinner. Thank you all of you for your replies. It is hard sometimes to do a review with no interaction. Thanks meltingmoments, Firsttime, BritChickBN1, meatball_nyc, and lovemybutler, glad you are following.

bluesea, sounds like another disaster that turned out a 'save'.

kerrytens, I swear I could feel all of you rooting for us along the way!

SenatorsFan, the couch was comfortable, but I would use one of the pillows behind the small of my back to make it more contoured. I spent more time out on my balcony though.

dolita22, I will have comments on that at the end of this review. I also hope Screenma'am will chime in now and then with her two cents.

We DID wave at Planma'am on sail away! :D

Wow! This is like reading a great mystery novel. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this recap. I'm loving every minute! I agree with dolita22, I feel like I'm there. And I'm so glad you made it to Miami safely. I think my DH would have backed out after the flight cancellation. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for your review! I just planned a last minute trip on the Epic in two weeks so it is really helping me get a feel for it. I've been on the Pearl, Jewel, Jade, and PoAm, but this ship is very different.

I do have one question - was the $199 for both of you for the spa? I was planning on $119 (since it is just me this trip) and will be really bummed if it's gone up to $199.

l.A.S.T.

Great review so far! I'm glad that you made it safely and on time!

We're going on the Epic in April and have a cabin with the sofa closer to the balcony. I'm wondering if I want to switch in order to make getting by the sink area easier. Which layout did you prefer?

kerrytens' date=' I swear I could feel all of you rooting for us along the way![/font']

I also hope Screenma'am will chime in now and then with her two cents.

:D

Believe me, you had a huge cheering section at Bubba Gumps. It was the first conversation we all really had as a group. Oh no, the ma'ams are trying to drive through ice ... please let them make it. And you did:D:D

Hope Screenma'am adds to your review too!

I hear this story at the meet and greet, so I knew there was a happy ending, but I was still on the edge of my seat reading it! I am loving your review so far, it is bringing back wonderful memories. Was it only two weeks ago?? It seems much longer. It was lovely to meet you both and I hope we cruise together again one day. :)

Wow, I fell asleep a bit too early this evening and now I am AWAKE.

Juneau, I just kept thinking of the investment of the $ it had cost me. No trip insurance!

LadyAnna, the $199 did seem like a lot to pay. It was that much on the Jewel in December also. We had just spent so much more money getting there and decided to save on the spa.

Lovemybutler, thanks for answering her questioon.

Ron_L, I personally liked the bed by the balcony better. There really was more than enough closet hanging space for us (and I hang a lot).

Thanks carollois! Me too.

Edited by medicalma'am

I slept SO well that night and awoke at 7:30 a.m. refreshed. DH got up and went to Taste for breakfast, which would become his habit. I was just too full from last night.

I sat on the balcony with my coffee, chocolate covered strawberries, and the Daily.

IMG_4179.jpg

This would become my habit for the week. The strawberries were part of the special that was going on when we booked. That, a bottle of wine and dinner for two in La Cucina.

IMG_4170.jpg

I read until it was time to get ready for the Meet and Greet with my new CC friends.

We gathered in the hallway (which would become our habit for the week) with Screenma'am and Bullit, and headed off to, wait...where was it?

Oh yea, Bliss Lounge. We were almost late. The officers were standing up front and started talking just as we walked in the door. Yikes....I have NEVER been late to a M&G!

The officers finished and...................what......................no Q & A?

Off they went.

IMG_4180.jpg

I wasn't fast enough with my camera. They were gone that fast. No mention of a bridge tour later in the week either. Maybe you had to be there early for that? Oh well. We stayed for about an hour just visiting with folks. We never did see Triplet, with whom we had an excursion planned for St. Kitts.

We went up to the Garden Cafe for a quick lunch. It was never hard to find a table there and the selection was awesome. My DH LOVED the paninni and sandwich section.

We all then headed to Moderno restaurant for a Progressive Wine Tasting.

IMG_4187.jpg

The Sommelier was Pepito (sp?). He was fun and knowlegable. I took notes.

We had a great guide that I took with me.

IMG_4186.jpg

I had always wanted to do a wine tasting, so this was my first. We ended up doing all three on this cruise. They were all different. I have done Margarita tastings, Martini tastings, and Mojito tastings. All of these have been fun. I was just ready for something different.

They serve a plate to taste the different wines with, and direct you when to do this. We were also instructed to use salt and pepper at times.

DSCN0338.jpg

Edited by medicalma'am

Moderno and Cagney's are right above the Manhattan dining room.

IMG_4183.jpg

You can see down into Manhattan but it is glassed in.

IMG_4182.jpg

It is beautiful there. Manhattan was only open for dinner on this cruise. Taste was open for breakfast and lunch. On every other cruise we have done with NCL, the larger of the main dining rooms was open for breakfast and lunch. I am wondering if it is always like this on the Epic?

IMG_4181.jpg

After the wine tasting we went back to our cabins. I needed a nap. :)

At 5 we went to the Latitudes party. I brought our invitation and handed it to the gal at the front and she crossed our manes off her list. I and walked into Bliss and looked for a place to sit. I turned around and saw that the others were still at the door. I went back and evidently Screenma'am and Bullit were on the list for the next day. She graciously let them come to this party though as we were all together! Thanks NCL. I am assuming this is because were Gold at this point ans they are Silver Latitudes members. After this Epic cruise we are now Platinum!!!!! YEA!

They had wine, sparkling wine, and other drinks with plentiful cheese platters going around. We stayed until about 6:15 visiting with others. We met a delightful older couple who said cruising made their marriage better.

We had dinner reservations in La Cucina tonight. We wandered the ship until it was time to eat. We looked at our trusty pocket guide and saw that it was on deck 14. We took the front right bank of elevators and saw a sign in the cabin hallway. We walked toward the front of the ship as we knew La Cucina was there. All we found was a small door that said "Handicapped access" and "La Cucina" on it. We went through and were in the restaurant. We were welcomed in and taken to the desk. We were seated immediately. It was then that we saw the stairs and pretty entrance that we missed. Later in the week we saw that the entrance was accessed through the Garden Cafe at the front! When we finished eating we did exit that way and it was very pretty, definitely the better way to enter and experience the ambiance.

We celebrated Screenma'am and Bullit's anniversary (40-something).

IMG_4191.jpg

I ordered the cheesecake that Mitsugirly had recommended. It was AWESOME. This is for you Kim!

IMG_4190.jpg

Edited by medicalma'am

Yikes, those pics of the chandelier are of Taste. Maybe I really am tired.

La Cucina was an awesome experience. It would be more fun in the daylight so you would see out the windows. We ordered a bottle of wine, a Robert Mondavi Chardonay. I had Bruschetta, and DH had a Caesar salad. Screenma'am had the Caprice salad (Fresh Mozzarella and tomatos). Our DHs also shared a small pizza as an appetizer. I had the chicken Parmesan and DH had lasagna. All were so good. My DH had an Italian mother (first generation) and he knows Italian cooking!

We left there at 9:30 and went to Fat Cats for some blues music. Bart Walker Band is doing a stint on the Epic. Oh my, he is wonderful. Talk about a big talent! The place was empty. How could that be?????? Man, these guys were good. Our DHs talked to them during their break. The bass player was a young guy named Christopher Alexander and usually plays with a Stacy something in Austin. He was great and only on the ship for three weeks I think while Bart's bass player was gone. The drummer was outstanding also. His name was George and he was from Memphis. We spent many hours in Fat Cats during the week and it did get more and more crowded as the week went on. They played from 9 - 1. During their breaks they did not disappear, but stayed and talked to the patrons. That was really nice. By the way, he told us that they are in negotiations for another stint on the Epic next winter!

DSCN0092.jpg

I don't like the seating in Fat Cats. There are very few couches at the back of the room. The rest of the room is hard straight backed wooden chairs lined up in rows with tiny tables between every two chairs. Just didn't like it. I wanted to circle up the tables and chairs, or at least curve them around the room. To snag a seat on those coveted couches was rare and there was only room for two to sit with those wooden chairs in between. I guess they have it set up to get an many people in there as possible.

We headed back to our cabins late. We had a time change tonight. This little guy greeted us.

IMG_4192.jpg

What a great day we had. I sat on the balcony and listened to the sea for a while. We set our clocks forward an hour (thank goodness for that afternoon nap!). Time for another great nights sleep. The bed was so comfortable. In fact, I remember the Captain asking if we liked the memory foam mattresses during his talk.

In the morning I will continue with our second sea day and more before I have to leave for work.

Edited by medicalma'am

Sea Day #2

It was another lazy morning on my balcony with more of those chocolate strawberries and coffee. The coffee in the room is not my favorite. I have decided the next time I sail NOT in a suite, I will bring my tiny French press and my own coffee to make and just use the machine to heat the water.

IMG_4133.jpg

DH went to Taste for breakfast early without me, as I just could not face food until lunch time. My tummy was on overload. I took my Freestyle Daily onto the balcony with my coffee and highlighter to see what I wanted to do for the day. I also read my book.

I had asked our room steward if we could have a lounger for our balcony the first day. He said that none were available just then but he would inquire about it. The balcony was just so large! I could see that it would accommodate a lounger easily and I knew that it would be so much more comfortable than the regular chairs, and I was spending a lot of time out there due to not having the Spa Pass.

I showered and dressed and we all met in the hallway for lunch. I believe we went to the Garden Cafe because we wanted to go to the wine tasting again and had a time limit. They were always held at 1:00 p.m.

Lunch was great, as usual, and we had no trouble finding seating. Two of the four of us would find a table (OK, it was always the guys) while the rest would get our food. Then one of the guys would get their food and invariably run across the ladies to tell us where the table was. It was this day that we sat in the back (front of the ship) and discovered the REAL entrance to La Cucina.

I wanted to do another wine tasting, which was in Moderno again. It was an "Old World - New World" tasting. We again had Pepeto as our Sommelier. We sat at a table with a delightful couple who were on the Epic for the first of two weeks. He was German and she was Italian. They both spoke impeccable English and worked in Canada. We had a wonderful time and stayed and visited with them for long after the tasting was over.

After this we went to our cabins and I talked DH into putting on our suits and trying out the slides. WOW! How awesome! I was disappointed that the Epic plunge was not open, but we enjoyed the other two so much. We found a place in the shade and just relaxed. Then they started playing live music. I really enjoyed the Flashdance and Footloose era of music and the place was "jumping", to use a term from the 40's! The hot tub was not too crowded and just the right temperature.

We went back to the cabin to get ready for the Blue Man Group, which was at 7 p.m. We arrived, got great seats and ordered drinks. The show was amazing. We had never seen them before and it was over all too soon. We went to Manhattan for dinner. Manhattan has low ceilings like much of the ship and was LOUD. We were close to the center part where entertainment was going on, maybe two tables away. We could not see well at all. This place was not designed for the viewing as there are poles, curtains, and half walls to block the view. Our service was great from Adrianna I believe. She was attentive and never made us feel like she was rushed.

After dinner we again went to Fat Cats to hear Bart Walker Band, then to Headliners to watch Second City. I must say that the Second City, which was improv tonight, was a really short show. The tables there are situated so that everyone has a good view and the heights of the chairs are progressively taller for that reason.

We wandered into the fitness center. It is the largest at sea and I cannot imagine that it gets crowded. But I would never know as this was the only time I stepped foot in it the whole cruise!

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4195.jpg

It is HUGE.

IMG_4193.jpg

Back to our cabins where I enjoyed time on the.......wait ........what do I see on my balcony?

DSCN0095.jpg

Not one but two!!!!!

DSCN0094.jpg

Oh my, our steward really outdid himself! His reward just went up a couple of notches!!! We turned in between midnight and one.

Tuesday - St. Maarten

We awoke to the most beautiful sunrise

DSCN0011.jpg

And then the most beautiful rainbow, almost complete!

DSCN0012.jpg

I had one of those "I am so glad to be here" moments, just feeling blessed to have made it on the ship.

DSCN0013.jpg

We had a quick breakfast in the Garden Cafe and waited on the pool deck to hear the call that we could disembark.

DSCN0018.jpg

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

Almost no one was on the pool deck. I had seen that the gangway was out and knew which bank of elevators to take when we needed head down.

This was a good time to have pics of the pool but none of the water features were turned on (fountains and sprays)

DSCN0021.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

The Epic Plunge closed. (sad face)

DSCN0024.jpg

DSCN0025.jpg

A Disney ship was docked next to us.

DSCN0015.jpg

Check out that slide

DSCN0016.jpg

Soon they called that all could disembark the ship. We got on an elevator and headed down to deck 4. Wow. The hallway was crowded! We attempted to get to the end of the line, but the folks in front of us gave up and said it was too far to see and we could not 'swim against the tide'. So we just joined the crowd and got off in no time at all.

Before this cruise I had just gotten the results of an MRI of my knee. I had a partial tear to my ACL, an avulsion fracture to my kneecap, and fluid on top of my kneecap. Because of this I was taking only the elevators unless it was impossible or just one floor. So the elevators it was.

Next up will be our day in St. Maarten.

Thank you for an amazing review! We are so looking forward to our holiday on the Epic and your pictures are just bringing everything to life for us. Can't wait for the rest of your review!

My DD would have loved to join you for "breakfast" each morning as the chocolate covered strawberries are her absolute favorite treat onboard. ;)

Robin, I'm so glad you started this review when you did. I had to work last night and I ended up being a "sitter" (for the psych patients) for the first 4 hours of my shift. Guess how I spent it? Yep, reading your great review and reliving our fun time on the Epic with all of your pictures. Man, I really want to go on her again.

Glad you tried the cheesecake. Thanks for rubbing that picture in my face. :p That's my nightly "comfort" food. Did you get to try the crapes? Ahhh, the Epic is where I had my very first one and they haven't been the same since. No other ship offers the amount of fillings and toppings that the Epic did. :(

I can't wait to hear what you guys did in port. I love St Maarten and St Thomas. <3