Photo Review: Celebrity Summit 2/1/14 Southern Caribbean

HeatherC430

Thank you for your reply! What is your email address? I will look up your suggestions!

I'm very excited about my hidden gem... I discovered it on CC but there weren't recent photos until I saw your post!!

-Alaina

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You're welcome. You can email me at heathergulich at gmail.

Those rooms are great! I have next year's summit cruise booked in the same exact room! ;) Enjoy!

We're doing the Southern Caribbean in November, on the Valor. We're going to St Thomas, Barbados , st kitts, st Lucia, and St Maarten, my question if we like this intenerary would you do it two years in a row but like the islands you went to and do you have any tips going from Carnival to Celebrity?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've also done the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan on the Valor as well (although at that time the ports were slightly different - our cruise included Domincia & another port in lieu of St. Maarten). Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either ship/itinerary. I've been on 10 Carnival cruises prior to this Celebrity cruise, and the main difference we found that it was a more refined, relaxing experience on Celebrity, rather than the "fun ship" vibe you get with Carnival. If you have a family, and are looking for more family friendly cruising, I'd stick with Carnival. If this is more of a couple's cruise, I would recommend you give Celebrity a try.

Myself and my husband couldn't be more pleased with the Celebrity experience. My two most recent cruises have been on Celebrity (and I have another two currently booked). Until I have a reason to go back to Carnival, I prefer the Celebrity product at this point in my life. So, really - I think it depends on what you're type of experience you're looking for. I will say that my cruise on the Valor to the comparable itinerary and my Alaska cruise have been my top two cruises on Carnival (out of the 10). The main reason I ventured out of my comfort zone and tried Celebrity was because this cruise had two new ports that Carnival didn't offer (Grenada & St. Croix).

My only tip would be to go on a cruise with Celebrity with an open mind. You might like the product they're offering better than Carnival. Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise regardless of which decision you make! Let me know if you have any other specific questions!

We're going on Carnival in Nov out of San Juan, I'm trying to convince my DW to sail on the Summit but she says it's to fancy, we've only sailed on Carnival so were not sure.

We don't have kids, so it's just the two of us. Would you recommend concierge or the Aqua?

Understood. You'll have a great time on your trip in November I'm sure of it. I can understand the hesitation of thinking it might be too fancy/classy. That was a concern of ours as well reading the rants about dress code and such on the message boards. Myself & DH (him especially) tend to dress more casual both during the day and evenings. We normally wouldn't go to the main dining room on "elegant/formal" nights regardless of the line. We respected the rules on Celebrity and went along with them. I will say that our concerns were totally unwarranted. I'd wear a sundress most evenings and my DH would wear jeans and a button down dress shirt or something of the like. We blended in with the rest of those onboard.

I'd say in terms of the service you experience, it will be on par with what you've experienced with Carnival (we've never had an issue on either line). The demeanor of the other passengers were alot more laid back than what we've experienced on Carnival, but that's part of what we like best about Celebrity. Everyone was very nice and approachable that we met onboard. We definitely made more "friends" onboard our Celebrity sailings than our Carnival (even with it being the "fun ship").

We think Celebrity is just the right amount of "fancy" :)

If you haven't already...send your wife the link to both of my photo reviews. There are alot of pictures taken board, I think we give her a good idea of what to except. There are more similarities between lines than most people on these boards will admit. Both are great cruising experiences, just different overall "vibe" and passenger demographics.

Below is the link to my other photo review. Enjoy if you haven't read it already. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm happy to help!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2037736

We don't have kids, so it's just the two of us. Would you recommend concierge or the Aqua?

I forgot to mention...I really don't know much about the Concierge or Aqua class cabins other than when we compared the increased cost per person for what you got in exchange, for us, we didn't feel it was worth it to upgrade. For example, for us, we only ate in the main dining room once all week - so we knew that we probably wouldn't eat in Blu much (if at all). I'd be willing to try one of those options in the future if the price to upgrade wasn't that much. Personally, we couldn't justify it.

I've read alot of reviews online from others who swear by these upgraded categories though. I suppose it depends on how much disposable income you have or how "special" of an experience you're looking to have. My DH & I are happy to cruise to the Caribbean and don't feel the need for the extra attention and benefits onboard. To each their own I suppose....

Thank you for your reply! What is your email address? I will look up your suggestions!

I'm very excited about my hidden gem... I discovered it on CC but there weren't recent photos until I saw your post!!

-Alaina

I just read an article online today "PA's Best Views" that included Mount Washington view of Pittsburgh. It stated that according to USA Today, it's the second most beautiful spot in the U.S. - reading it, I thought of you & this post! It's especially nice at night! There are a few really nice restaurants at the top where there's an amazing view of the city (although most of them are on the pricey side).

How is their reward program and how does it work? Carnivals is simple for each day cruised is one point..

I'm not all that familiar with the rewards program on Celebrity. I know that you get more points for the higher categories of rooms. Quite honestly, after finally attaining "Platinum" status on Carnival, it left alot to be desired. The only part that was truly valuable (to us) was embarking the ship early where the lines weren't as extensive as normally. Other than that, and your logo item, I wasn't impressed. Lesson learned. I no longer have any interest in attempting to obtain a certain status on any line. I'm just going to keep cruising on whatever line/ship/itinerary appeals to me at that point in time, and eventually the status will follow suit.

I'll chime in,

The only reason to book Aqua ( IMHO ) is to have Blu as your dinning room, and the only reason to book a Concierge cabin is if you need the extra point to reach a level in the Capt Club. Yes the menu in Blu is a tad different, it feels more relaxed according to some. But is not that much better than the MDR, again, IMHO.

On the Reflection last yr our C2 was on deck 9, port, aft side of the hump. This year we are spending about the same for our 11 day sailing in a 1A balcony on the starboard side, deck 8 on the hump. The apple a day was not worth the added cost for one deck up in the same size cabin. And Blu was not worth almost $800++ pp more.

I'm so happy this review re-surfaced. We are on similar cruise for March. Just started reading... can't wait to keep reading. I'm a big planner and haven't started this trip yet, we are headed to Mediterranean in. October and finishing those details yet.

Thank you for sharing!

If you've never sailed with a particular cruiseline, they say you should do a shorter cruise, have you been on the constellation ?

IMO, I'd say go with the week rather than one of the shorter cruises - provided your finances and vacation time allow. From what I've read, the shorter cruises are a bit different than the longer ones on Celebrity. We were really happy with our experience with the 7 and 8 night cruises on Celebrity. No, I've only been on the Summit (twice). I look forward to sailing on the other ships in Celebrity's fleet. I must say, I love the port intensive itineraries.

I'll chime in,

The only reason to book Aqua ( IMHO ) is to have Blu as your dinning room, and the only reason to book a Concierge cabin is if you need the extra point to reach a level in the Capt Club. Yes the menu in Blu is a tad different, it feels more relaxed according to some. But is not that much better than the MDR, again, IMHO.

On the Reflection last yr our C2 was on deck 9, port, aft side of the hump. This year we are spending about the same for our 11 day sailing in a 1A balcony on the starboard side, deck 8 on the hump. The apple a day was not worth the added cost for one deck up in the same size cabin. And Blu was not worth almost $800++ pp more.

Thanks for chiming in Wallie! :D

Yes, I always look at the price difference and can't justify when it's THAT much more per person (especially when I'm the one who normally finances our vacations! lol). If the price was right, I might be tempted to book Aqua or Concierge class cabins. Typically, I'd rather spend my money on excursions or in port!

I'm so happy this review re-surfaced. We are on similar cruise for March. Just started reading... can't wait to keep reading. I'm a big planner and haven't started this trip yet, we are headed to Mediterranean in. October and finishing those details yet.

Thank you for sharing!

I try and keep up with these threads when there are responses. I'm glad I'm able to assist in your planning and anticipation! I'm the same way. A photo review that's comparable to an upcoming trip is like a gold mine. Enjoy! :D

Enjoy your cruise to the Mediterranean...one day I'll make it there!

• 4 weeks later...
I just read an article online today "PA's Best Views" that included Mount Washington view of Pittsburgh. It stated that according to USA Today, it's the second most beautiful spot in the U.S. - reading it, I thought of you & this post! It's especially nice at night! There are a few really nice restaurants at the top where there's an amazing view of the city (although most of them are on the pricey side).

Just got back from Pittsburgh and loved it! Did the incline, was staying in station square so it was a short walk! Also went to the Jason Aldean & Miranda Lambert concert in PNC stadium- fantastic time!!! Didn't have a chance to eat anything memorable since I was only there for 2 nights for a conference. Thanks again for the advice!

Wish you were coming on my first Celebrity cruise in December!

-Alaina

ImageUploadedByForums1407038020.500844.jpg.31761f9bbc63e94dbeb700e9ff5571b2.jpg

Incline to Mount Washington at night

Just got back from Pittsburgh and loved it! Did the incline, was staying in station square so it was a short walk! Also went to the Jason Aldean & Miranda Lambert concert in PNC stadium- fantastic time!!! Didn't have a chance to eat anything memorable since I was only there for 2 nights for a conference. Thanks again for the advice!

Wish you were coming on my first Celebrity cruise in December!

-Alaina

I'm glad to hear you had a great trip to Pittsburgh! You're welcome. :D

• 1 month later...
We're doing the Southern Caribbean in November, on the Valor. We're going to St Thomas, Barbados , st kitts, st Lucia, and St Maarten, my question if we like this intenerary would you do it two years in a row but like the islands you went to and do you have any tips going from Carnival to Celebrity?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

I have done it three years in a row and maybe again this year. There are things to do in each port and the cruise is so port intensive that if you are tired one day , you may simply decide to do a beach day or stay on the ship. Each line has its own personality, just as each ship does. Depending on the port you start from can make a difference in your shipmates. The time of year definitely does. I usually pick a ship because of the time frame and where it is going. I just always hope it is a Celebrity. Thanks for the review, Heather. I too especially like the Summit, but then again I just got off of 23 days of the Century and liked it too. :)

I have done it three years in a row and maybe again this year. There are things to do in each port and the cruise is so port intensive that if you are tired one day , you may simply decide to do a beach day or stay on the ship. Each line has its own personality, just as each ship does. Depending on the port you start from can make a difference in your shipmates. The time of year definitely does. I usually pick a ship because of the time frame and where it is going. I just always hope it is a Celebrity. Thanks for the review, Heather. I too especially like the Summit, but then again I just got off of 23 days of the Century and liked it too. :)

I couldn't agree more. I could do these port intensive Southern Caribbean itineraries over and over again. By doing something totally different each time in port, it's still a new and exciting day. Thanks for reading my review - glad you enjoyed it! My upcoming cruise will be my third on the Summit. I look forward to trying Celebrity's other ships as well. Just waiting for the right itinerary on another ship to surface.

• 2 months later...

your in for a treat when u go on the newer Celebrity ships like the Reflection. youll never sail any other again,, Summit is a old ship that should be sold and does not reflect todays Celebrity Brand. it will be what youd be expecting all your life about cruising.. Enjoy!!

Malcolm

your in for a treat when u go on the newer Celebrity ships like the Reflection. youll never sail any other again,, Summit is a old ship that should be sold and does not reflect todays Celebrity Brand. it will be what youd be expecting all your life about cruising.. Enjoy!!

Malcolm

It is funny how different people can see the same thing and have exact opposite reaction.

I would say just the opposite to what you did!!

I know I am in the minority, but the summit is my favorite ship. We all have different reasons to cruise, and I find the summit to fit my needs perfectly.

We don't pick sailings specifically for the ship, we are on the reflection next month, doing the same cruise we did on her last year, but if I had my choice summit would win over her every time!

Malcolm

I'm sure I'll love the other (and specifically newer) Celebrity ships, as much as I did the Summit. Other than a few cosmetic improvements, I can say I have no complaints about the Summit. We really enjoyed both cruises on the ship, and are anxiously awaiting our upcoming cruise as well. We always pick our cruise based on the itinerary and time as opposed to the newer ships. It's all about what's important to you. I can say that what I've enjoyed most about Celebrity's "brand" on my last two sailings has been the passenger demographics more than anything.

It is funny how different people can see the same thing and have exact opposite reaction.

I would say just the opposite to what you did!!

I know I am in the minority, but the summit is my favorite ship. We all have different reasons to cruise, and I find the summit to fit my needs perfectly.

We don't pick sailings specifically for the ship, we are on the reflection next month, doing the same cruise we did on her last year, but if I had my choice summit would win over her every time!

Thanks for your comments. I'm sure it could be the case of "I don't know what I'm missing" with the newer ships, but I've been extremely happy with my cruises on the Summit. I wouldn't be surprised if we book 2016 again while onboard. We love the port intensive itineraries. I'm glad others share my view of the ship.

Heather, thanks for the detailed review. My wife and I will be on Summit for this same cruise in late March. Everything sounds great with the exception of the long waits for drinks. The free beverage package was also the main reason we decided to go with Summit this time.

I hope they've added some more bartenders by then. One other thing they could do to speed things along is allowing people with a beverage package to get a bucket of beer. This would cut down tremendously on number of trips to the bar for a lot of people. I'm patient about some things, but waiting for a beer is not one of them.