Photo Review: Celebrity Summit 2/1/14 Southern Caribbean

HeatherC430

Heather, thanks for the detailed review. My wife and I will be on Summit for this same cruise in late March. Everything sounds great with the exception of the long waits for drinks. The free beverage package was also the main reason we decided to go with Summit this time.

I hope they've added some more bartenders by then. One other thing they could do to speed things along is allowing people with a beverage package to get a bucket of beer. This would cut down tremendously on number of trips to the bar for a lot of people. I'm patient about some things, but waiting for a beer is not one of them.

You're welcome! I'll be sure to report back on my experience on this February's upcoming cruise on the Summit. The wait for drinks was really the only area that we experienced that could use some improvements. I'm sure the reason they won't allow the bucket of beers on the package is...

1. the cost associated with giving someone a bucket (let's say 6 beers) at a clip, whereas if you have someone get one drink at a time, they're less likely to drink so many so quickly. Since there is cost associated with including the drink package for Celebrity, they're going to try and limit that as much as possible. Making it easier for you to drink more probably isn't their priority.

2. there's the issue of others "sharing" the drink package with others who may have purchased drinks separately if they didn't have the drink package. It's the same reason they won't let you order more than one drink at a time (unless you have a second card with you that also has the package).

You're welcome! I'll be sure to report back on my experience on this February's upcoming cruise on the Summit. The wait for drinks was really the only area that we experienced that could use some improvements. I'm sure the reason they won't allow the bucket of beers on the package is...

1. the cost associated with giving someone a bucket (let's say 6 beers) at a clip, whereas if you have someone get one drink at a time, they're less likely to drink so many so quickly. Since there is cost associated with including the drink package for Celebrity, they're going to try and limit that as much as possible. Making it easier for you to drink more probably isn't their priority.

2. there's the issue of others "sharing" the drink package with others who may have purchased drinks separately if they didn't have the drink package. It's the same reason they won't let you order more than one drink at a time (unless you have a second card with you that also has the package).

I'm sure you're right about their reasons for not giving people with drink packages buckets of beer. Hopefully, the service will be okay and I won't spend the whole cruise standing in line ;). Thanks for responding.

I'm sure you're right about their reasons for not giving people with drink packages buckets of beer. Hopefully, the service will be okay and I won't spend the whole cruise standing in line ;). Thanks for responding.

We got off the Summit in November. We rarely stood in line (the exception being the Martini Bar) for drinks and the service was far better than just okay. You will have a great cruise.

I'm glad to hear you had a great trip to Pittsburgh! You're welcome. :D

hey yinz guys, another girl from the 'burg here;). we love our city but as soon as the weather turns cold we try to duck out of town for a cruise to keep us going thru the long, cold winter.

heather - we sail on the summit in less than 3 weeks (woohoo), enjoyed reading your TR.

Edited by keishashadow

Very good review Heather - pictures and comments right on.

I think pages back we read you like Curacao. What did you experience

and what should we not miss? Will stop there on another cruise this year.

We have done B2B on the Summit the last to years when it was

cold and snowy in Ohio and loved it. Will be on again this year for

another B2B.

Thank you

I'm sure it could be the case of "I don't know what I'm missing" quote]

Ya know Heather, you and the hubby really should take a look see at the Equinox 10 day Eastern with us in Nov! Just sayin~~~:D

Oh Wallie, I wish I could. My DH is happy with only one cruise per year, and he likes going in February as it gives us something to look forward to all winter during miserable weather. After we come back from the cruise, the worst of winter is normally behind us. And...he'd rather not take more than a week off of work for vacation at a time. I have the Panama Canal booked, but it looks like I'll have to cancel because he wasn't especially happy with it when I told him. :(

We got off the Summit in November. We rarely stood in line (the exception being the Martini Bar) for drinks and the service was far better than just okay. You will have a great cruise.

Don't get me the wrong, the service is more than ok. When you were waited on, the service is good. It's just at certain bars and at certain times of the day the lines were several people deep, making the wait longer than you might have wanted. We found there are ways to work the system though. For example, if I didn't want a drink at a given time, my husband would take both our cards up to the bar, and order 2 beers for himself (so that he didn't have to wait in line for the next one). I have no doubt you'll have a great cruise. There's plenty available to drink onboard! ;)

hey yinz guys, another girl from the 'burg here;). we love our city but as soon as the weather turns cold we try to duck out of town for a cruise to keep us going thru the long, cold winter.

heather - we sail on the summit in less than 3 weeks (woohoo), enjoyed reading your TR.

Isn't that the truth! We find that cruising in February gives you something to look forward to during the cold winter months. When we get back, typically the worst of the winter weather is behind us. We've gone in January several years though too! January/February is our preferred time to cruise for that reason! I'm jealous. I've got an extra month on my countdown until I sail the Summit again! Have a great cruise!

Very good review Heather - pictures and comments right on.

I think pages back we read you like Curacao. What did you experience

and what should we not miss? Will stop there on another cruise this year.

We have done B2B on the Summit the last to years when it was

cold and snowy in Ohio and loved it. Will be on again this year for

another B2B.

Thank you

Yes, we loved Curacao. We only visited the island once on a previous Carnival cruise. We did one of the excursions though the cruiseship. I don't recall the exact name of the tour, but it was basically a narrated boat ride to a beach where you had a few hours of free time. There wasn't anything special about the tour itself or even where we went during the day. But, everyone we came in contact with was especially nice, and the port in general had a European feel to it (at least we thought so). We were docked in the port through the evening so we had time to explore the downtown area at night. They had bands playing outside along the strip of restaurants, etc. It's hard to describe, but we really enjoyed the "feel" of the island. My husband & I both said it's been among our favorite ports, and we'd love to go back on another cruise (or even a week's vacation).

When's your back to back on the Summit this year? We'll be onboard the Feb 7th sailing! :D

Isn't that the truth! We find that cruising in February gives you something to look forward to during the cold winter months. When we get back, typically the worst of the winter weather is behind us. We've gone in January several years though too! January/February is our preferred time to cruise for that reason! I'm jealous. I've got an extra month on my countdown until I sail the Summit again! Have a great cruise!

thanks, you too:)

Yes, we loved Curacao. We only visited the island once on a previous Carnival cruise. We did one of the excursions though the cruiseship. I don't recall the exact name of the tour, but it was basically a narrated boat ride to a beach where you had a few hours of free time. There wasn't anything special about the tour itself or even where we went during the day. But, everyone we came in contact with was especially nice, and the port in general had a European feel to it (at least we thought so). We were docked in the port through the evening so we had time to explore the downtown area at night. They had bands playing outside along the strip of restaurants, etc. It's hard to describe, but we really enjoyed the "feel" of the island. My husband & I both said it's been among our favorite ports, and we'd love to go back on another cruise (or even a week's vacation).

When's your back to back on the Summit this year? We'll be onboard the Feb 7th sailing! :D

Hi Heather,

Our Celebrity - Summit B2B is 1/31 and 2/7. Coming up very soon...

Look forward to seeing new cruise friends.

Thank you for your personal view of Curacao. Can't wait!

Talk later:)

Hi Heather,

Our Celebrity - Summit B2B is 1/31 and 2/7. Coming up very soon...

Look forward to seeing new cruise friends.

Thank you for your personal view of Curacao. Can't wait!

Talk later:)

We'll be on the same cruise! Say hello if you see me onboard! :)

Don't get me the wrong, the service is more than ok. When you were waited on, the service is good. It's just at certain bars and at certain times of the day the lines were several people deep, making the wait longer than you might have wanted. We found there are ways to work the system though. For example, if I didn't want a drink at a given time, my husband would take both our cards up to the bar, and order 2 beers for himself (so that he didn't have to wait in line for the next one). I have no doubt you'll have a great cruise. There's plenty available to drink onboard! ;)
I think I'll be taking two cards to the bar with me most of the time.

• 1 month later...

If I missed ANYTHING or you’d like further clarification, please don’t hesitate to ask.

I’m happy to help! Happy Cruising! :D

Heather,

Just wanted to say thank you for the informative and honest reviews. We sail on the Summit Mar 28, and after looking at your pictures, it is making our excursion/sightseeing/activitiy choices easier. This will be our 2nd cruise with Celebrity, and unless another cruise line wants to give us a cruise, we are pretty much hooked. We also are have had enough of the tweens on other cruises making enjoyment difficult. Thanks again for your posts.

Phil

Edited by tiller02

Thank you for the fantastic review, Heather! We will be on this itinerary in April. We love the port intensive aspect of this cruise and found the flight to San Juan very inexpensive compared to recent flights in the US. If you are still taking questions on this cruise, I would like to ask about your experience with Thenford and the volcano hike. We want a very strenuous hike and this looks like something we would totally be into. If others have a hard, time that generally means we will enjoy it. This was offered through the cruise line, but they just cancelled it. I am not sure why. Were you at all stretched or time coming back? That is my only concern given the length of the excursion. Did you feel Thenford got you back in a good amount of time? I'm not looking to shop afterward, just not miss the ship :)

If I missed ANYTHING or you’d like further clarification, please don’t hesitate to ask.

I’m happy to help! Happy Cruising! :D

Heather,

Just wanted to say thank you for the informative and honest reviews. We sail on the Summit Mar 28, and after looking at your pictures, it is making our excursion/sightseeing/activitiy choices easier. This will be our 2nd cruise with Celebrity, and unless another cruise line wants to give us a cruise, we are pretty much hooked. We also are have had enough of the tweens on other cruises making enjoyment difficult. Thanks again for your posts.

Phil

You're quite welcome. Just off the Summit yesterday, and needless to say another wonderful cruise. I'll be starting another photo review this week after I download all of my pictures. Stay tuned...

Heather,

How bad was the lines to get off the ship right as the ship is docked?

Yesterday when we debarked the Summit (self assist around 8:30 or so we literally walked right off the ship, no line whatsoever). If my memory serves me correctly from last year, within 10-15 minutes of debarking with the other self assist, we were off the ship as soon as they were cleared by customs. Generally, if you're self debarking they want you to wait in one of the predetermined lounges with the rest of using self debark between the 7-7:30 timeframe.

Thank you for the fantastic review, Heather! We will be on this itinerary in April. We love the port intensive aspect of this cruise and found the flight to San Juan very inexpensive compared to recent flights in the US. If you are still taking questions on this cruise, I would like to ask about your experience with Thenford and the volcano hike. We want a very strenuous hike and this looks like something we would totally be into. If others have a hard, time that generally means we will enjoy it. This was offered through the cruise line, but they just cancelled it. I am not sure why. Were you at all stretched or time coming back? That is my only concern given the length of the excursion. Did you feel Thenford got you back in a good amount of time? I'm not looking to shop afterward, just not miss the ship :)

If you're looking for a very strenuous hike, look no further! lol. I have no doubt this hike will deliver just that. We were not stretched for time. We made it back to the ship in plenty of time. We were completely covered in mud (not to mention exhausted) so we went immediately back onboard the ship after the hike. Our guide made sure that we kept a swift pace (which aided in the strenuous nature). The breaks weren't as infrequent or long as I would have liked! lol. In any case, timewise, you'll be fine. Really, the amount of time given to get back to the port is determined by how long it takes you to complete the hike. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be putting together another Summit review this week. Just off the Summit yesterday.

Heather, it is a testament to your fantastic photos, & straight forward writing style that this thread is still alive one year later! You have a knack of capturing a cruise.

We're boarding Summit on the 28th for 2 weeks, & even though we have spent 3 weeks on her before, & pretty much know what to expect, it is fun to review your photos again. I hope you can complete most of your new review before we leave.

Thanks for reviving so many great memories!

Heather, it is a testament to your fantastic photos, & straight forward writing style that this thread is still alive one year later! You have a knack of capturing a cruise.

We're boarding Summit on the 28th for 2 weeks, & even though we have spent 3 weeks on her before, & pretty much know what to expect, it is fun to review your photos again. I hope you can complete most of your new review before we leave.

Thanks for reviving so many great memories!

Thank you! What a wonderful compliment. I'll probably be starting my review tomorrow night. Yesterday was spent uploading my over 2,000 photos from the cruise. I think I'll have most of it done before you leave for your Summit cruise!