Photo Review: Celebrity Summit 2/1/14 Southern Caribbean

HeatherC430

I like to think of them as "memorable" instead of "strenuous"! lol

I'm not going to lie, I'm looking forward to much relaxing on the beach and shopping on my next cruise! That gives me another year to rest us for next winter's adventures! :D

in case you have a cruise that is a bit to "memorable" in the future, keep in mind how rejuvenating the thelassotherapy pool in the solarium is. it is a wonderful way of soaking out those tired, sore muscles.

so glad you enjoyed your x cruise. welcome to the fold.

• 3 weeks later...
in case you have a cruise that is a bit to "memorable" in the future, keep in mind how rejuvenating the thelassotherapy pool in the solarium is. it is a wonderful way of soaking out those tired, sore muscles.

so glad you enjoyed your x cruise. welcome to the fold.

After 3 cruises on the Summit, I have yet to try the thelassotherapy pool! One day...

Great review, Heather. So glad to see your pictures from 9001 and to hear that you were very pleased with the cabin. We sail on a Pacific Coastal Cruise on Infinity in September and booked cabin 9000, which is a twin cabin on the starboard side (same layout as your ship). Glad also to note that you were not bothered by motion. We have never had problems, and don't expect to in that location either.

Great review, Heather. So glad to see your pictures from 9001 and to hear that you were very pleased with the cabin. We sail on a Pacific Coastal Cruise on Infinity in September and booked cabin 9000, which is a twin cabin on the starboard side (same layout as your ship). Glad also to note that you were not bothered by motion. We have never had problems, and don't expect to in that location either.

Thank you! We were very pleased with the cabin. After cruising twice in the same cabin, we booked it again for our 2017 Summit itinerary. That should speak volumes itself, that we've booked the same cabin multiple times. The motion hasn't proven to be an issue for us. In our opinions, it's well worth the extra space, and being near the lido deck has proven to be most convenient for us.

Thanks for the great reviews Heather. They are the best I have yet to read on this forum.

We will be taking a Summit cruise out of San Juan from April 11 -18 and are really looking forward to it.

My wife is originally from Ecuador and a huge fan of Latin music, especially salsa and merengue. Do you know if the ship has any bars or a theme night that features Latin music?

Good for you. As with most posts its the opinion of the poster. If I see a post I dont like, I just move on. Some people are so mean spirited on CC, not sure why we are all here because we love cruising and why one persons opinion is better than anothers I will never know why.

Loved, loved, loved your review. I will be sailing the Summit on May 4, so I found a lot of good information.

Norma

Are you sailing Summit in 2016 or this year's Cape Liberty-Bermuda embarking May 3?

Thanks for the great reviews Heather. They are the best I have yet to read on this forum.

We will be taking a Summit cruise out of San Juan from April 11 -18 and are really looking forward to it.

My wife is originally from Ecuador and a huge fan of Latin music, especially salsa and merengue. Do you know if the ship has any bars or a theme night that features Latin music?

Why thank you! What a great compliment! I'm sure you'll have a great cruise on the Summit! I hate to admit it but we went retired to the room early on most nights and didn't partake in much of the "nightlife" onboard. I'm sure you'll find something to your liking onboard. I do remember seeing in the dailies different types of dance classes onboard, and I'm pretty sure there was salsa or something of that variety.

Why thank you! What a great compliment! I'm sure you'll have a great cruise on the Summit! I hate to admit it but we went retired to the room early on most nights and didn't partake in much of the "nightlife" onboard. I'm sure you'll find something to your liking onboard. I do remember seeing in the dailies different types of dance classes onboard, and I'm pretty sure there was salsa or something of that variety.

Thanks for the response Heather. I knew they had dance classes. But my wife doesn't need lessons and I'm a lost cause when it comes to anything requiring a sense of rhythm. Still maybe she'll give me another chance to learn a few steps lol.

I read a CC review yesterday that mentioned a Latin music theme night on Celebrity. So hopefully our cruise will have that.

We seem to have a similar style of cruising in that our main interest is visiting the various ports rather than just being on the ship itself. But, like everyone, I enjoy eating and drinking. This time we have the classic beverage package. So it will be fun to try our different cocktails that we usually don't drink at home.

If you have any recommendations about this or any other aspect of enjoying life on the Summit that would be great.

Thanks again for the awesome reviews.:)

Edited by Chris L

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the response Heather. I knew they had dance classes. But my wife doesn't need lessons and I'm a lost cause when it comes to anything requiring a sense of rhythm. Still maybe she'll give me another chance to learn a few steps lol.

I read a CC review yesterday that mentioned a Latin music theme night on Celebrity. So hopefully our cruise will have that.

We seem to have a similar style of cruising in that our main interest is visiting the various ports rather than just being on the ship itself. But, like everyone, I enjoy eating and drinking. This time we have the classic beverage package. So it will be fun to try our different cocktails that we usually don't drink at home.

If you have any recommendations about this or any other aspect of enjoying life on the Summit that would be great.

Thanks again for the awesome reviews.:)

Yes, while I enjoy life onboard (primarily eating and drinking as you), my favorite part of cruise is visiting the various ports and planning action packed days. We tend to take it easy in the evenings to recoop for the following day's adventures.

The drink package is a great way to try different drinks onboard without worrying about the costs of trying new things. I have it booked with the promo for my next two Celebrity cruises as well! It'll be disappointing if at some point they stop including the 123go promos. It was part of what initially drew us in to try Celebrity and what has kept us coming back (in addition to the fact that we prefer the demographics onboard better than other lines we've tried).

I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time onboard the Summit! Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
Our flight to San Juan left Pittsburgh at 8:20am the morning of embarkation. I would have preferred to fly into San Juan a day or two earlier, but DH didn’t want to take the extra vacation days (he’s greedy with them). We had a connecting flight in Tampa. We arrived in San Juan around 3:45pm. The second leg of our flight was delayed a bit due to flights being grounded in Tampa for some reason. Luckily it only caused us to be about 30 minutes later than we were initially scheduled to land. It was relatively uneventful gathering our luggage from baggage claim.

We had planned on taking a taxi after gathering our bags as we’ve done many times in the past. We’ve found that booking the cruise line shuttle can often be more hassle than its worth in terms of having to wait for the bus to fill before leaving, then the bus needs to be fully unloaded with baggage before they let you off. Well, for a slight minute I had wished I booked the Celebrity shuttle when I saw this ridiculous line for taxis! Typically (in other ports anyways) it’s normally a free for all where you fend for yourself and hail a taxi – which quite frankly works well for us. This line was at LEAST 50 people deep – if not more! So we asked the people at the front of the line, if the lengthy line was indeed for taxis. They confirmed our suspicions and we went to the back of the line.

Luckily we were only in line for about 5 minutes before we were approached by a local if we were in need of a taxi. We told him yes, and were told to follow him. Clearly, a sketchy operation, but we followed him across a few rows of traffic – past where the official taxis were all lined up. He told us to wait there. He called someone on his cell phone. A few minute later, a woman pulled up in a clear, non-taxi vehicle. He threw our suitcases in the trunk, we hopped in the back and he sat in the passage seat. Honestly, it was very sketchy, they barely spoke any English. But, we were happy to not be standing in that line for a taxi and be making it to the port in a timely fashion. They charged us $45 for our ride to the port.[/quote

Ack, you did what?!!!! :eek: So glad that your "taxi" worked out for you but oh my word, didn't the "sketchiness" freak you out a little? :o Now....back to your review.

Enjoyed the rest of your review, especially your summaries of the ship. This June will be my first Celebrity cruise, I hope I enjoy my cruise as much as you appeared to have enjoyed yours! Thanks for sharing!:)

Ack, you did what?!!!! :eek: So glad that your "taxi" worked out for you but oh my word, didn't the "sketchiness" freak you out a little? :o Now....back to your review.

Enjoyed the rest of your review, especially your summaries of the ship. This June will be my first Celebrity cruise, I hope I enjoy my cruise as much as you appeared to have enjoyed yours! Thanks for sharing!:)

Yep, we sure did. Tack it up to another travel experience! lol. Similar to other poor decisions in your 20s where you look back and think to yourself, yeah, that probably could have turned out really bad! lol. Honestly, we've been in several less than comfortable experiences over the course of many cruises when you venture off the beaten path, or are in a sketchy taxi ride with someone in the middle of no where. Generally speaking, I normally feel pretty comfortable when traveling with my husband, because, well...someone would have to be pretty stupid to mess with him. When I cruise without him, I always play it much safer though.

Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise! After 3 Celebrity cruises, I'm sure there will be many more in my future! Heck, I already have 2 more booked as we speak! I have the other two more recent photo reviews of the Summit too, if you haven't read those yet (they're in my signature).