Length of time needed for touring Stonhenge and Salisbury Cathedral

mauimary

We are wondering how long does it take to tour Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge? We will be using a car service and they want to know how long we would like to tour for? We are visiting in June.

Thankyou:)

Last August, my husband and I did exactly what you are planning to do. I estimate that we spent somewhat over an hour at Stonehenge and about an hour in the cathedral itself.

That said, here are some other details that may help you plan your day:

o Our car service picked us up at our hotel in central London at 7:00 AM. Our driver wanted us to arrive as close as possible to the opening time at Stonehenge. He felt that at opening time, the crowds would be smaller and we'd enjoy the experience more. In fact, our trip from the hotel took somewhat longer than anticipated. We were traveling on a business day and the volume of traffic for a remarkably long portion of the drive was very, very heavy. We arrived about 15-20 minutes after opening.

o We used the audio devices available at Stonehenge. (I can't remember whether these were available as part of the admission price to the site or whether we paid extra.) The narration on the device made all the difference in our understanding and appreciation of the place. The size of the crowds mattered if you were using the audio devices. There were specific places for visitors to stand to receive the audio broadcasts and bigger crowds would have been a problem both for audio reception and for the best sight line at stops around the circle.

Not everyone used the audio devices, but they tended to walk around the site much faster and, unless they'd done reading beforehand, I doubt their visit was a satisfying as our was.

o We had planned to eat lunch at a charming country pub, but our driver offered an alternative. The day we traveled was market day in Salisbury and our driver offered us the chance to graze from the market stalls. We accepted and really enjoyed the experience. It was far from an elegant experience. For example, there was no section with tables and chairs, but we found a place to sit on a retaining wall and that was adequate. Tasting the home-prepared food and, especially eating the cheese was a very special experience. Cheddar cheese from Cheddar, England really does taste better than Cheddar cheeses we're eaten elsewhere!

o The grounds of Salisbury Cathedral and the town are quite charming, but we spent minimal time touring anything other than the cathedral. Since we wanted to be at the ship by 3:30 PM.

Although our arrangements were pricey, we felt the day was a very special and enjoyable one.

Thankyou this is exactly what we are trying to do. We however do not sail until the next day. We are having a hard time arranging this and are corresponding with one of the services mentioned a lot on these boards. Do you mind sharing which car service you used? We are discovering that the cars seem to be mainly used for transporting and not so much for touring along the way.

OP: we had the reverse itinerary two years ago, arriving in Southampton after a TA, and transferring to London for several days there. For the transfer, I inquired on here about booking a private car service that would take us from Southampton to Salisbury and Stonehenge for touring in both places, and then transport us to our hotel in London. We wound up booking with a company that gave us an awful driver, and so I won't recommend them, but another company that came highly rated was West Quay Cars:

http://www.westquaycars.com/

(Again, we did not use them, but you can research them here on Cruise Critic.)

In terms of how much time to spend, I'd say to give yourself an hour or so [two at the max] at Stonehenge and far more in Salisbury (the afternoon, frankly, since you aren't embarking) so you aren't rushed. The Cathedral is magnificent; I suggest taking the time to really walk around inside and out, and also listen to the docent talk about the Magna Carta; and if you give yourself enough time (we didn't have that time), you should be able to go up into the tower. (Check their web site on the times you can do that.) I would have loved to have been able to visit the tower. And the town itself seemed charming. Maybe have lunch in Salisbury after seeing Stonehenge, and then tour the Cathedral and town. (I love the idea above of lunch at the market, if you are lucky enough to be there for market day!)

Have a great time; here's a little preview of Salisbury Cathedral:

SalisburyCathedral_zpsb23bd6d2.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

Thankyou this is exactly what we are trying to do. We however do not sail until the next day. We are having a hard time arranging this and are corresponding with one of the services mentioned a lot on these boards. Do you mind sharing which car service you used? We are discovering that the cars seem to be mainly used for transporting and not so much for touring along the way.

We used West Quay/Tour the South. I've mentioned the dual name because these are two branches of the same company. If my memory is accurate, West Quay is the taxi service and offers transportation without value-added narration. Tour the South is the branch with the drivers who are able to add value by doing some narration, but they are not licensed tour guides. (Licensed drivers, of course. Just not licensed guides.)

Our driver was not allowed to come up on the Stonehenge hill and narrate. I've already said that the audio tour was quite good, but I overheard private licensed guides enriching their clients' experience in other ways. One even brought dowsing rods to Stonehenge to let her clients feel the magnetic force of the place.

Our driver was allowed to walk inside with us and talk about the cathedral. For example, there's a place in the cathedral with a block of the stone floor that can be lifted and a dip stick inserted to measure the depth of the water on which the cathedral floats. Our guide pulled up the block. I think some tourists without guide did this immediately after we finishing doing it, but I don't believe I saw any other tourist do this. Our driver's explanation for the cathedral itself was more detailed than his explanation in the Magna Carta exhibit. There we primarily read the signage. Our timing wasn't right for a docent-led tour of the Magna Carta room. (Actually, I don't recall noticing any licensed guides in Salisbury Cathedral.)

Since your transport company is asking you how much time you want to spend in Stonehenge/Salisbury, I'm guessing you're not dealing with Tour the South. It's not that we had no input, it's just that we told the company where we wanted to visit and the time we wanted to be at the pier and the company planned our day. In fact, we started out wanting to drive through some of the charming villages of New Forest as well. By the actual day of the drive, we had decided that we'd make our decision in real time depending on how long we spent at our two primary sites and traffic conditions. We ultimately dropped the New Forest visit but you'll be able to do that drive since you'll be a day early for your cruise.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Thankyou to both of you Pet Nit Noy and Turtles 06. You have both provided us with the information we were looking for and the experience that we would like to have. We were feeling very rushed and on a time clock with the first company we were dealing with. Since this is our first visit we are needing more suggestions and help than I was getting from them.

We are now in contact with West Quay/ Tour the South. Thankyou for sharing the company that you used. What we are looking for is a tour and not just a taxi service. We also are not interested in the bus tours that return to Heathrow from the port.

Turtles06 beautiful photo of Salisbury Cathedral Thankyou for sharing.

Mary:)

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that an hour is a good time frame for Stonehenge. If you use the audio tour, then plan on a bit more time, if not, and you choose to just wander on your own and try and feel the mystique, an hour will do fine.

We loved Stonehenge, if for no other reason it has always been on our Bucket list and just being there was inspirational.

You cannot touch the stones as they are roped off. You can get to about 10-15 feet of them but that is about it. They do have tours where you can do a sunset tour and are able to go into the circle and be right there with the stones, but that is the only one, I believe.

Here are a few of my pix of this fabulous place

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2258.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2273.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2275.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept2276.jpg

We went in mid August and it was very windy and cold there. Don't know if that is ordinary or unusual, but just a warning.

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len for sharing your photos and info. We are going with a private tour car and they are planning on two hours. There is now a new visitors center so you have to park and ride a shuttle. Also reading we have to get timed tickets as well. Thanks for the tip on the weather. Will plan to dress in layers and take a waterproof jacket. I'm sure the weTher could be anything the first week of June.

Mary

Thanks Len for sharing your photos and info. We are going with a private tour car and they are planning on two hours. There is now a new visitors center so you have to park and ride a shuttle. Also reading we have to get timed tickets as well. Thanks for the tip on the weather. Will plan to dress in layers and take a waterproof jacket. I'm sure the weTher could be anything the first week of June.

Mary

You are quite welcome Mary. If we can be of any other help, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Len