Advice for luggage for family of 5 in Europe this summer?

aimathy

There will be five of us (two 40-somethings, 18, 14 and 6) sailing the Adventure next summer in the Mediterranean. I'm not sure what to do about luggage for us. We will be spending close to a week in Paris the week before the cruise (we will have access to a washer and dryer) and then going to England to board the Adventure. There will be a lot of airport shuffling, an overnight trip to Disneyland Paris, the high speed train, taxis etc involved in our journey. I'm imagining that 5 suitcases and 5 personal bags etc will be clumsy and awkward to manage. I thought about possibly doing hiking backpacks for each of us, so we can all carry our own things, but have our hands free. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to plan this? I don't want to go over the 50 lb limit for our luggage and I need to have a good way to travel without too much craziness. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance for your help! (PS I'll post this on the family board as well.)

This past summer our family of 4 (40's, 14 & 16) did 23 days in Italy/the Med

Pretty much the same situation, lots of trains, taxis and moving.

We took enough clothes to cover about 8 days for each of us, then some nice long pants & shirts (for dinners & going into churches). No formal wear at all.

In each of the places we stayed before the cruise I did laundry. Now some people may say, why do that since you're on vacation, but it makes it easier in the long run when you're trying to haul suitcases around. We did have to use the ships laundry too since ours was an 11 night cruise.

We took 3 carry on suitcases, 1 larger checked case. The boys shared a backpack, my dh had a backpack/computer bag & I had a messenger bag. This worked very well for us. Because trust me your 6yo isn't going to want to carry anything, my 14 yo wasn't always happy to be carrying something!

The key is making sure your clothes are multi-functional. There are some really good posts on the fashion section about packing. We used 2 methods, either the bundling method (google this & watch the video) it's amazing how much you can carry using this method, we also used packing cubes. I admit I left stuff in Europe so we could get all our souvenirs home. But it was some pairs of socks, flip flops & 2 t-shirts, nothing to be heartbroken about.

I will say for getting on and off trains, etc that we really like to each have a medium sized hard sided rolling bag, one that rolls easily while upright and is good quality to handle cobblestones and other rough surfaces. For our "carry ons" we use smaller cases designed to go with our other ones that can slip right onto the handle of the bigger rolling bag.

It is pretty hard for someone to pick pocket or still a bigger bag like that, which feels safer in Paris than a backpack, and they are just plain easy to maneuver, reasonably water resistant if you get caught out in the rain, etc.

Our son could handle that on his own at 12, and he was very small for his age back then, so I would think your group should be just fine, other than the 6 year old, whose things could be spread among the other bags.

The biggest issue with hard sided cases is that they take up more room in the ship cabin, but we were able to but ours under the beds on Adventure (we had two cabins though, not sure we could have fit four suitcases under one).

Edited by NHDisneylover

Thanks! Your advice is definitely helpful so far! I should add that we also have two cabins on the Adventure and the cruise is a 14 night cruise. Gulp. We will have to do laundry on the ship as well, but I think packing versatile items will be key. It seems to be a daunting task right now!

The goal of my vacations is not to have to go for hernia surgery when we get home, since that's what happened to me on my first cruise on Adventure years ago. My DW has never been a light packer, and it's always a huge negotiation when preparing to cruise. Of course I always end up using one of the additional 50 things she packs during the trip, and she uses that as ammo to convince me we have to take everything the next time.

You'll want to check with the airline, since if you are flying international the weight limit may be more than 50lbs. We did 12 days on Celebrity Equinox last summer along with 3 days before and after in Barcelona and a 3 day stopover in London on the way back. We took 2 of the Kirkland brand hard side suitcases from Costco, a rolling duffle for the 14 year old and a smaller suitcase for the 11 year old.

The key is to take multifunctional clothing and do laundry at every opportunity. My wife and I have amassed a decent wardrobe from GoLite just for cruising. I can get 3 pairs of their pants in the same space as a pair of jeans, and they can span the spectrum from touring around Rome to the ship's dining room every night but formal night. To not have to pack formal clothes we did specialty restaurants on formal nights.

Laundry on the ship is a given. Use whatever discounts you can and take advantage of the "everything you can fit in the bag" laundry days.

Finally, it's a good idea to scope out your transportation for the days you are going to need to lug the bags around. On our stopover in London on the way home, we flew into Gatwick airport and took the train to Victoria station. The problem was that the Victoria Underground station does not have elevators or escalators, so we had to deal with stairs with all that luggage. We could not avoid that, but we made sure that any other times we had to use the underground we did it using stations that had elevators/escalators from street to platform.

I agree that you can get a lot into one of those laundry bags!

Yep, stick with lightweight items that mix and match, fabrics that wash well and dry quickly are best.

Stick with a couple of pairs of comfortable (not new) walking shoes each (I like a good pair of walking sandals in the summer), and one versatile pair of dressy shoes that you can wear to dinner on the ship every night. You really do not need more footwear than that, I promise.

Some good advice for you from other posters. I do want to say since you are sailing out of a port in England, taxis will get interesting if you plan to use a taxi or I recommend arrange your own car service. But they will need to know how many bags or tell you how many persons, bags, etc before giving you an estimate and you'll probably always need some type of van with 5 people and lots of luggage.

I don't think you can skimp with your luggage as you are doing Paris pre cruise and then a Med trip. We did two long cruises last fall, a med trip and a British isles last year and we used every stitch of clothes we brought, casual, formal to bum around clothes.

Enjoy your trip, it sounds wonderful

We travel to Europe every year for several weeks and cruise too. Last year I spent 30+ days in Europe with a small carry-on and a backpack. My backpack gets all the electronics (iPads, iPhones, laptop). My typical carryon includes enough clothes for 7-8 days and I don't re wear clothing (lots of people will wear pants twice....I don't). My key was finding lightweight clothes....unfortunately, last summer in Paris was chilly (50s) so I had to pack long pants. So I found thin skinny jeans and got 7 pairs in my luggage. Then thin t-shirts. Enough socks and underwear and a pair of thin jammies. And bras too.

Luggage also gets bathroom stuff, which can be rough for women. Fortunately, I don't wear makeup and I have travel pots for my cleanser and moisturizer. I buy shampoo and conditioner abroad (if it works for Europeans, it works for me) and also buy body lotion abroad. I have a small travel straightener and rely on hotel hair dryers. I also travel with allergy meds (just in case) and so I have these little travel containers for pills to reduce size of pill bottle.

I wear my bulkiest shoes on the plane (usually runners) and bring a pair of ballet flats. Oh, and I also manage to cram some workout gear in there (usually 2 sets).

Container store is great for finding travel stuff to help with organization.

Of course, I accumulate crap that I buy and my two options: buy a small duffel bag abroad and carry it home. Or, stop at the post office and mail it home. I've done both....their post office rates aren't too bad.

Oddly enough, I've met some of the most interesting people at the laundromat. In Austria I couldn't understand the signs or figure out the machines....so this wonderful man helped me and we chatted. Gave me some great food recommendations and things to see in Vienna.

Some cities have laundry services where you just drop it off and pick it up later. The prices are reasonable (18 euros for two loads of laundry) and you don't lose touring time. That was the case in Rome and Ireland, but not in Vienna or Paris (that I could find nearby).

The last time I packed heavy was my first time traveling to London. After lugging 50 lbs on the tube and up an ungodly amount of stairs and across cobblestones and up 3 flights of stairs in our hotel in Sweden, I was done. Never again :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are cruise travelers, and light weight is our middle name LOL. We are off on a transatlantic this spring with 10 days in Spain, and then 14 days in our, favorite country/area to date, the country side of France. I made my wife long ago agree that she must be able to handle her own luggage when necessary. You are traveling with a 6 year old and someone will have to help her with her heavy luggage, the others well more than likely they can handle there own luggage or make them realize that. We travel in a carry on with a mid size suit case and a purse/bag(on board stuff electronics PP etc. Yes this is too much but luggage but manageable/necessary with this many days out.

On the cruise do not worry about formal wear, not necessary, now days. We have belief that no one cares or will see what is on the bottom, so tops/shirts/etc are important to look, well different, some days, my lady throws in some "light weight" bling to look well elegant. Usually two pair of shoes for me, depending on time of year, yes light weight versions, my wife takes some old shoes, for dressing up a bit, and yes dumps them, remember they are old LOL. Please do forget the flip flops

Underwear i buy quick dry stuff and have at least 8 pair, women's are always quick dry, we do agree to do some laundry on occasion in the sink, a little original Blue Dawn concentrated will do all you need, I have a small bottle that is packed away. We take a basic bag called our pharmacy, yes you can buy the same stuff in Europe, but it might be a PITA when you might really need it.

Some stuff like mouth wash/etc that take pounds, buy small ones here, and this stuff is readily available in Europe, more expensive, but saves pound on the flight over.

I could go on but my rant must stop.

One last thing the old story of layering, is really necessary, I do not know when your cruise is but the first Items I pack is a hoodie and a good rain coat, note good, yes can be expensive, layered they can stand some really cold/cool weather.

Depending on time of year, you will be surprised at how little clothes you will use/need in Europe and yes even underwear LOL. Sorry one last note, we buy a lot of "Travel" easy wash pants/clothes, again they can be washed in the sink and dry over night, even some of our tops are easy wash/dry.

Dark colors are your friend, black/grey/dark blue/brown/ please no white sneakers.

Save some room for must buy items, I have a rule for my wife that every thing must fit into the main suitcase with expansion zipped, and it must be under 40 pounds,

Sorry I got carried away, but we have tried many way and means for packing to travel, and still fail to have the right thing some times LOL

Edited by north29

Thank you SO much for all of your replies. They were really, really helpful! I guess now I'm still just deciding between suitcases or hiking backpacks for us. Hmm....

We favor traveling with a rolling suitcase. This keeps your back free for a small daypack that is either your carry on for the airplane or your electronics/guidebooks/maps/hat/jacket/change of underwear:)/ or whatever might be needed while touring all day.

We did a month in Italy last May with a 22" roll on each plus a small backpack each. Part of that was with a Rick Steves tour group. Those who went with a backpack did better on cobblestone streets but were always shuffling stuff from the big bag to a smaller one. They also sometimes ran out of hands to carry stuff. We could drop off our roll on and hit the street without delay.In practice I tended to carry the day bag and Karen her purse.:D

Also note that a suitcase opens wide so you can find things more easily. With a backpack whatever it is you need is ALWAYS on the bottom of the pack!

Robbie

P.S. Laundromats are always an interesting cultural experience.

We have done some long trips (3 weeks+) the last few years. Most of my shirts are the new light weight self wicking types in which I can hand wash and hang overnight to dry. In cooler climates we bring clothes that we can layer. We bring about 7-8 days worth of stuff and pack a "soft sided carry-on in each piece of luggage. We keep the weight as close to 40lbs as we can. This gives us almost 10lbs + our carry-ons for any purchases. My personal item is always a backpack that can hold my tablet and other electronics. Hers is either a backpack of her biggest purse.

We usually do a load of laundry when we board and we are usually good till the final days of the cruise because of the handwashing. On the trip home, my suitcase contains the dirty laundry and hers the clean stuff and purchases.

We don't worry about missing anything as we can usually buy it if we need it.

Lots of good advice. Re layering and coats: I usually wear several layers on the plane--for instance, a tee under a light sweater under a hoodie or light jacket under a rain/heavier jacket. Of course, I stow the top two layers in the overhead (or sometimes you can hang them). I always want at least a light sweater or jacket on the plane anyway. One of the layers can also work as a pillow if needed.

Depending on itinerary, you will probably need layers in Europe. Many areas are much cooler than the US during the summer.

We've cruised with kids as young as 5. A six-year-old can easily wheel their own small piece of luggage along with a small back-pack, but will need help with stairs and such. When we took 7 grandkids on a cruise, the rule was that they had to handle their own luggage and they abided by it very well, with just a little extra help for the youngest.

DH wears lightweight pants with zip-off legs -- your boys would like the cargo pockets, and they dress up enough with a golf shirt to be fine for most evenings in the MDR. We also pack the 99-cent rain ponchos and fleece jackets. Combined, they keep us comfortable in London drizzle, without needing an umbrella and heavier jacket.

Then, backpack the bigger kids, don't assume the 6 year old will be able/ willing to carry more than the smallest backpack with his stuffed buddy. You'll probably be carrying him at some point... think about having him ride ON your bigger suitcase, so get one with sturdy enough wheels/handle.

Thanks everyone! We will be on the cruise from July 20 - Aug 3, in the Mediterranean. So overall, it should be quite hot in most locations (Rome, Genoa, Florence, Malaga, Lisbon, Nice and Gibraltar). I appreciate the advice. I think I'll definitely get backpacks for my two older ones (DD- 18 and DS - 14)...I'm sure they will use them in the future as well. I'm still on the fence for my husband and myself...but the advice is helping! Thank you!

With that itinerary, it will most likely be very, very hot, so I think you would be more than safe with only a light jacket for each person. I'd seriously consider carry-on size luggage for everyone, plus one personal piece, like a backpack, just for ease of moving around on the land portion of your trip. There will be steps, cobble stones, etc. that make luggage a pain.

It's a little tough, but can be done, especially if you are willing to do laundry.