Lesson Learned I Guess

jtwanabe

I went to book a particular room I wanted on the magic for Oct. 19.

The room I wanted was not available. I had to go back to Sept. 28th to

find the same itinerary. The next day I'm looking again and the room that

was unavailable the night before it was now.

So I call up CC and explained what happened that I had based my decision on

their we site and ask if I could change to the original cruise I wanted.

Only if I pay 100.00 to switch. That's like 10% up-charge on what was already

a higher cruise fee. The decision was not arbitrary but based on their web site info.

Talked to a supervisor too and no way. I get the reason for the change fee but it

was a decision based on their faulty info.

Any suggestion on who I might appeal to.

JT

Edited by jtwanabe

I'm thinking maybe it was not faulty info, but maybe someone booked that room then they cancelled. I would love to hear any ideas about this because I am in a similar predicament. I had 2 rooms that I wanted to book. One was a balcony, the other OV for next week's Splendor. This was about a year ago. The OV was not available, but the balcony was, so I booked that. Just YESTERDAY the OV that I wanted became available. The price difference is $18, but I really wanted that OV! But I don't think I can DOWNGRADE. :(:( OP, hope you can get this resolved!

If you looked online Carnival only shows 10 available rooms. If you wanted a particular room you should have called and talked to a person instead. Another thing is the room may have been booked and maybe those people switched rooms or cruises too or just cancelled.

You will never know how or why but there is no way to prove it was faulty information.

Okay but I this is my 4th cruise in 4 years with CC. Kiddee end of the pool

I know as cruiser go but it does evidence some loyalty on my part.

Maybe it wasn't faulty info but it wasn't completely accurate either. They ought

to have a different icon when the room is just on hold. Just a little slack is

all I asked. Wasn't like I had the room reserved for 3 months and then change

my mind. One day is all.

This is my first 7 dayer and already I'm regretting it.

JT

Edited by jtwanabe

How can you assume that it was a faulty system that caused the room not to be available? It could have been booked by someone else or maybe held by a travel agent for someone and then became available. When you booked the cruise you were happy with the cruise and cabin you booked so I don't understand why you aren't happy with your choice now. Obviously you booked a rate with change fees and it would cost you to make that change now.

When you see that a cabin is "not available" that is information

offered to help you make a "choice". Okay. If it is tentative then

it ought to say so. But all that Oprah Analysis aside I just asked

for a little confederation based on some mitigating circumstances

that they had a part in creating.

If you look and saw the cabin you pick as reserved for you and

then later was told oh my I guess it wasn't after all I bet you

see this info in a whole new light.

I am assuming that you booked Early Saver since they want to charge you to change. And since you have cruised Carnival in the past then you should know that any change will cost you. As for the room it could have been easily not available yesterday and available today due to cancellations or people upgrading to different rooms. This is in no way Carnival's fault. And you have to abide by the rules of your booking. If you wanted the freedom to move about then you should booked under another promo.

I'm sorry you're upset. It kinda sucks to start off a cruise that way.

But....

I know you want them to make an exception. They won't make exceptions. (I guess they do, but it's rare.) Everyone has a story. They have drawn a line and they'll stick with it.

There is no way to say with certainty that it's Carnival's fault that the cabin was unavailable.

Maybe I booked that cabin months ago and decided yesterday I don't want to go, or I upgraded to a different cabin.

Let us pretend there was an icon showing temporary hold. So you did not book that day. Came back the next day and the room is available. You go to book it and BINGO, the price on both rooms went up $500 pp.

Should they give you some consideration and give you yesterdays price?

I guess a person could say yes they should, but imagine the mess they would create for themselves when word of this got out. Everyone would be saying they held off on booking and should get the lower price.

I booked Early Saver years ago. Booked 3 cabins, six people. I misspelled the last name of one of the people and within 10 minutes called to correct it. You guessed it, change fee, and only after talking with a supervisor to change names. Yes, correcting the name was a name change which is normally not allowed on an ES fare.

OP, if you do have to go with your "second choice" (as I do!) try to just enjoy the planning and anticipation and maybe file it away as one of life's "there is always a reason for everything" events. I am sure you will have a fantastic cruise! ;)

Crusin Karen ..... I bet I'm old enough to be your father but you make me want to say thanks mom I feel better now. Your right ... it be what it be.

I hope that going in September wont be much different than going in October.

hey look at it this way I have like three weeks less to wait. :rolleyes:

Edited by jtwanabe

a higher cruise fee. The decision was not arbitrary but based on their web site info.

Talked to a supervisor too and no way. I get the reason for the change fee but it

JT

did you boo early saver? if not you should be penalty free ..

Maybe it wasn't faulty info but it wasn't completely accurate either. They ought

my mind. One day is all.

JT

The 7 day cruise will be great. Just don't get a bad attitude about it. (not saying you are) Just know vacations are made completely on everyone's attitude.

No, Carnival is not at fault. I'm sure they are not gonna budge. I myself last night upgraded 2 cabins I had. I had paid in full for both of my cruises and decided to upgrade cabins. I too had been watching for a particular type cabin to open up for my spring break cruise. I booked a year ago but the cabin I wanted-very specific one was taken. Then last night while checking prices wham! there it was and I snagged it...cabins become available at anytime. Sometimes they will release cabins without restrictions. Meaning a cabin for 3 or 4 can now be booked for 2 etc.

Go and enjoy your cruise. Next time, get the cabin you want. You'll always wanna come back lol.

Crusin Karen ..... I bet I'm old enough to be your father but you make me want to say thanks mom I feel better now. Your right ... it be what it be.

I hope that going in September wont be much different than going in October.

hey look at it this way I have like three weeks less to wait. :rolleyes:

THAT'S the attitude!!! ;) Enjoy it ALL! :)

my mind. One day is all.

JT

That's why I no longer book ES. They got me once but not going to happen a second time.

Bill

That's why I no longer book ES. They got me once but not going to happen a second time.

Bill

Over the last few years think we are way ahead with ES as we know the week we will book and got some nice obc or upgrades as a result.

Only time we got hit was they changed the itinerary of the Valor to the Aruba run and we wanted to do it and paid the penalty to change ships.

I have changed before when booked early saver with no penalty. I had a similar situation where we went from a ship in Miami to a ship in Ft Lauderdale, both cruises were the same week. We went from an Ocean view to Balcony. It took some time and I spoke to a few different people but I just calmly explained the situation. I also explained that I was just trying to give them more $$.

If both rooms were still available then it should be no loss of business for Carnival. The finally agreed and we made the switch.

If you don't have that luck, you can have a great trip just the same.

Merciless souls all.

Not in the least bit. We just know what the rules are and follow them. They are the same for the first time cruiser or a Diamond cruiser. If a cabin isn't available, it isn't available.

For starters, I would never book a cruise with ES. Way too many restrictions. Secondly, if a cabin is already booked or being held by a TA, it's not available period. It may become available in the future but so could any of the cabins on a ship. There is no reason to say that each cabin is already booked but may become available if somebody cancels. That's a given.

JT

pricing and availability can change many times. Also someone could have put a 24 hour hold on that room the day you wanted to book it, then didn't book it. or like others said, they booked then switched/cancelled. If you booked early saver, then yes, you will have to pay the $50.00 "cxl" fee as you in fact cancelling this cruise to book the other cruise.